All Things 2021 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Don't know what it is, but when the calendar hits August, Berrios always seems to go into a funk. That is one of the reasons why I would have been leery about handing him a $20-mill/year contract.
It was a bold move by Jays, their odds to make the playoffs are now down to less than 10% on Fangraphs.

The Yanks seemed to buy themselves back into the race with the moves they made at the trade deadline.With their bullpen, they are poised for a long October run. They are due.

Don't know what it is, but when the calendar hits August, Berrios always seems to go into a funk. That is one of the reasons why I would have been leery about handing him a $20-mill/year contract.
I agree with the results in august but you know Jose is always gonna take the mound every 5th day and that has to be worth something. I would like him to still be on the team, but with the giant black hole that is Donaldsons contract at third I understand why they traded home.

I agree with the results in august but you know Jose is always gonna take the mound every 5th day and that has to be worth something. I would like him to still be on the team, but with the giant black hole that is Donaldsons contract at third I understand why they traded home.

It's not worth 20+ million per year.

And Donaldson is one of their best offensive players currently.

It was a bold move by Jays, their odds to make the playoffs are now down to less than 10% on Fangraphs.

The Yanks seemed to buy themselves back into the race with the moves they made at the trade deadline.With their bullpen, they are poised for a long October run. They are due.
Ick...

Yes and the Mets have folded once again when it get serious. They're the ones who needed to trade for Berrios.

The Yanks aren't scared to swing for the fences and are a force again - they really couldn't afford to miss the playoffs again as their attendance has been spotty - selling tixs on secondary outlets for 50% off for some games. Would love to see the Astros beat them again in the playoffs.

It's not worth 20+ million per year.

And Donaldson is one of their best offensive players currently.
That’s great he’s also owed 42,000,000.00 in payroll next year and the year after. Plus he has an $8,000,000.00 buyout after 2023. That’s awesome that he can lead a team that sucks in offensive categories. Wait until next year when he’s hurt all the time and the twins are actually trying to win again.
I would have gladly paid Berrios $18 million a year for 6 years if the Donaldson contract was not on the books. Would much rather pay Berrios over Buxton given the track history.

May I ask who you think they are going to sign to be their ace in 2022 given Meade is gonna need Tommy John and Berrios is gone. Just remember JA Haap cost the twins 8 million for 1 year and he stunk here.

If we can figure out some sort of a pitching staff I actually think we might be able to surprise a bit next year. Our lineup (if healthy) could be pretty good. Donaldson was pretty damn good in 2019 with Atlanta and I think if he plays 140+ games he could be really good again. Throw in a healthy Buxton, a full season of this Polanco, Kiriloff back, etc. and we should be able to score runs.

The pitching staff and bullpen will more than likely be a complete joke but if they can figure it out and some guys over achieve you never know.

That’s great he’s also owed 42,000,000.00 in payroll next year and the year after. Plus he has an $8,000,000.00 buyout after 2023. That’s awesome that he can lead a team that sucks in offensive categories. Wait until next year when he’s hurt all the time and the twins are actually trying to win again.
I would have gladly paid Berrios $18 million a year for 6 years if the Donaldson contract was not on the books. Would much rather pay Berrios over Buxton given the track history.

May I ask who you think they are going to sign to be their ace in 2022 given Meade is gonna need Tommy John and Berrios is gone. Just remember JA Haap cost the twins 8 million for 1 year and he stunk here.

The offense has not been an issue this year. They are 2nd in the division in runs scored. Donaldson's contract did not prevent them from signing Berrios. He thinks of himself as an ace, and he's clearly not.

They are dead last in the division in runs allowed, and the 3rd worst in baseball. That was with Berrios and Maeda for most of the season. They continue to accumulate young arms that can be brought up next season, plus there will likely be some better veteran arms available in free agency than what they signed this season.

The offense has not been an issue this year. They are 2nd in the division in runs scored. Donaldson's contract did not prevent them from signing Berrios. He thinks of himself as an ace, and he's clearly not.

They are dead last in the division in runs allowed, and the 3rd worst in baseball. That was with Berrios and Maeda for most of the season. They continue to accumulate young arms that can be brought up next season, plus there will likely be some better veteran arms available in free agency than what they signed this season.
I hope your right, but I will believe it when I see it. They are dumpster divers and always have been. That $9million to Randy Dobneck ain’t looking that great right now either.

They're going to have to pony up ~5/$100 for someone in FA and then get another cheaper option and fill in the rest with the kids.

I hope your right, but I will believe it when I see it. They are dumpster divers and always have been. That $9million to Randy Dobneck ain’t looking that great right now either.
The # of times I've seen angst over the Dobnak contract is so over the top. It probably wasn't necessary, but it's $9 million over 6 years. AAV $1.5/year. Of all the things the Twins have screwed up in the past year (LaMont Wade, Badoo, etc.) this doesn't crack the top 10.

As has been noted elsewhere, as much as the Starting rotation has been a mess this year, the bullpen is the real problem. at this point, they are on track statistically to be one of the worst bullpens in all of MLB. and guys they let go, like Whisler, Romo, May, Littell and others are pitching well for other teams.

Some huge decisions for the front office this off-season. what is Alcala's role in the pen? Do you keep Colome? Is Taylor Rogers healthy? How much does Duffy have left? Do you keep Gant as a swing-man/long reliever type?

I'm not sure Griffin Jax is a starter, but I think he could be a bullpen option. Just like Trevor May, his stuff might play better in one-inning stints when he can go max effort.

As has been noted elsewhere, as much as the Starting rotation has been a mess this year, the bullpen is the real problem. at this point, they are on track statistically to be one of the worst bullpens in all of MLB. and guys they let go, like Whisler, Romo, May, Littell and others are pitching well for other teams.

Some huge decisions for the front office this off-season. what is Alcala's role in the pen? Do you keep Colome? Is Taylor Rogers healthy? How much does Duffy have left? Do you keep Gant as a swing-man/long reliever type?

I'm not sure Griffin Jax is a starter, but I think he could be a bullpen option. Just like Trevor May, his stuff might play better in one-inning stints when he can go max effort.
That bullpen roll might apply to the Ryan guy they picked up from Tampa.

They're going to have to pony up ~5/$100 for someone in FA and then get another cheaper option and fill in the rest with the kids.
That’s where I would have kept Berrios. The devil you know is better than the devil you don’t know. Plus he’s gonna be younger than anyone they sign.

The # of times I've seen angst over the Dobnak contract is so over the top. It probably wasn't necessary, but it's $9 million over 6 years. AAV $1.5/year. Of all the things the Twins have screwed up in the past year (LaMont Wade, Badoo, etc.) this doesn't crack the top 10.
It’s still a giant wast of money that didn’t need to be spent. They could have spent it on Matt Whisler and Littel. Do beck has a better chance to be pitching in Town ball than he does in the majors again baring injuries

That bullpen roll might apply to the Ryan guy they picked up from Tampa.
Ryan will be one of the young guys we see in our rotation as early as next year. I'd be disappointed if they move him to the pen at this point.

It’s still a giant wast of money that didn’t need to be spent. They could have spent it on Matt Whisler and Littel. Do beck has a better chance to be pitching in Town ball than he does in the majors again baring injuries
Letting Littell and Wisler go were terrible decisons but had nothing to do with Dobnak. He didn't even sign the extension until they were long gone, and he's only making $700K this year and $800K net year. They just bought out his arbitration years. If he gets back to anywhere near where he was last year, it won't even be that bad of a deal.

That’s where I would have kept Berrios. The devil you know is better than the devil you don’t know. Plus he’s gonna be younger than anyone they sign.
I would have too. But they did get quite a bit for him and if they can sign an equivalent FA, I suppose that's a win/win. But do any pitchers of that caliber even want to come to MN?

Ryan will be one of the young guys we see in our rotation as early as next year. I'd be disappointed if they move him to the pen at this point.
Right now he’s a two pitch pitcher so nothing is out of the question right now.

They offered the dough but he did not take it.

Top Bottom