All Things 2021 Gophers in the NFL Thread

Sounds like Bateman is practicing this week...

Did Tyler Johnson see the field?

With a good pass TJ catches it and it’s a TD on that last 3rd down play.

So a buddy of mine flies down for the Cardinals - Vikings game in PHX and Maxx Williams comes up. I tell him that he's actually more of a blocking TE with the Cardinals, only 15 catches in 2019 and 8 catches in 2020. Maxx proceeds to catch 7 balls for 94 yards against the Vikings, and my buddy looks at me with every catch like "you sure about that blocking TE business"?

Today he catches 5 for 66 yds and the TE (which was a great catch!). So much for mostly being a blocking TE. Here's hoping KK and the Cardinals keep using big Maxx more and more in the passing game. Only 4 games in and he's already got 15 catches. GO MAXX!!!!

Did Tyler Johnson see the field?
I saw him whiff really bad on a block unfortunately. I don't recall any designed plays that targeted him. One incidental target in the end zone that was over his head.

I saw him whiff really bad on a block unfortunately. I don't recall any designed plays that targeted him. One incidental target in the end zone that was over his head.

Brady also threw another pass over his head in the field of play. TJ lined up right and had a little room between two defenders.

I think I saw Tyler in for 6-7 plays over the game.

Mr. Winfield was in concussion protocol at the end of the game.

Tyler had a good game last week, I believe 4 catches. Antonio Brown did not play last week, this week Brown played. He did return a kick off.

So a buddy of mine flies down for the Cardinals - Vikings game in PHX and Maxx Williams comes up. I tell him that he's actually more of a blocking TE with the Cardinals, only 15 catches in 2019 and 8 catches in 2020. Maxx proceeds to catch 7 balls for 94 yards against the Vikings, and my buddy looks at me with every catch like "you sure about that blocking TE business"?

Today he catches 5 for 66 yds and the TE (which was a great catch!). So much for mostly being a blocking TE. Here's hoping KK and the Cardinals keep using big Maxx more and more in the passing game. Only 4 games in and he's already got 15 catches. GO MAXX!!!!

He was absolutely a pass catching TE when he was here. Baltimore completely wasted him.

And I'm not sure if anyone saw it....because I certainly missed it. Rodney Smith got second most plays to Chubbard....with McCaffrey out. Turned his 22 offensive snaps into five receptions for 49 yards. Not bad for a guy that hadn't seen reps this year.

I have no doubt Johnson is being told next year is his year. Unfortunately it may mean he is without Brady and without the enhancements to his game that experience will bring.
Tyler can only hope he'll be there as long as Brady. Godwin or Brown will be gone before Brady quits and Tyler will have his shot.

I saw him on the punt return team, I believe. He gets a few reps at WR every now and the
Brady overthrew him once. A mile high. Then Tom made a face like maybe he didn't run the route right.

The Cardinals also ran a tight end screen to Maxx that went for big yardage. Today he is being interviewed on all the local talk shows. He has been injured his first couple of seasons here so everyone in Phoenix is pretty fired up about his play. Let's hope he stays healthy.

Tyler can only hope he'll be there as long as Brady. Godwin or Brown will be gone before Brady quits and Tyler will have his shot.

Yup. Godwin is on a franchise tag this year. TB will not be able to give him a big contract. Then it will be interesting to see what happens with Brown.

Looks like it's confirmed that Winfield suffered a concussion and is in concussion protocol. Unlikely to play this week as TB hosts the Dolphins.

Bummer but good it's being addressed.

Don't know if this has been posted before. Winfield appears in it.

De'Vondre Campbell has been playing exceptional for the Packers this season. Another former Gopher who did well in Atlanta, bounced to Arizona, and now is in Green Bay:

....Some of the change is philosophical. The biggest change is the addition of Campbell in June. With uncommon size and veteran savvy, the Packers have the all-around linebacker they’ve lacked for years and years.

In Sunday’s victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers, Campbell turned in his third consecutive excellent performance. After 13 tackles against Detroit in Week 2 and 11 tackles against San Francisco in Week 3, he recorded nine tackles, one quarterback hit (to help thwart a third-and-5) and one pass breakup (to stop a third-and-5) vs. Pittsburgh. One play after defending a pass to receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster, Campbell gave up a catch to Smith-Schuster but stopped him well short of the first down.

“Yeah, he was all over the field,” coach Matt LaFleur said on Monday. “He’s wearing a lot of hats for us. He’s obviously the guy communicating out there, but he’s in all those different personal groupings and asked to fill multiple responsibilities. We’re lucky we have him. He’s definitely been productive. But he’s also been a great asset to our locker room. He’s earned the respect of his teammates. That was a really great pickup for us.”

Top Bottom