All Things 2021 Gophers Football Fall Camp Thread (Tweets, Articles, Videos and more)

MGGopher

Reaction score
Thought it made sense to have Fall camp news in one place, so feel free to post here if you'd like. Thought I'd kick it off with this gem of a tweet which indicates some meteorologist should check the weather in hell.

Thought it made sense to have Fall camp news in one place, so feel free to post here if you'd like. Thought I'd kick it off with this gem of a tweet which indicates some meteorologist should check the weather in hell.

p1VPSKM.gif

Football practice news!! Hallelujah!! Kudos to Andy Greder!!

per STrib:

So far, so good

The Gophers have had four days of training camp, and Fleck likes what he sees so far.

"I'm really proud of the progress our team is making,'' Fleck said. "This is a very experienced team, and you can push them a lot more than a younger team. We've got a lot of questions answered.''

He said both the offense and defense have been competitive, with neither holding a big advantage over the other.

"If you've got one side dominating, then there's something going on with the other side, and that creates a lot of worry,'' Fleck said. "I love the battles back and forth.''

Go Gophers!!

per STrib:

Etc.

* Former Vikings special teams coordinator Marwan Maalouf is helping the Gophers in training camp on a volunteer basis.

* Offensive tackle Daniel Faalele was held out of practice because of precautionary reasons. "He'll be back Monday,'' Fleck said.

Go Gophers!!

per STrib:

Etc.

* Former Vikings special teams coordinator Marwan Maalouf is helping the Gophers in training camp on a volunteer basis.

* Offensive tackle Daniel Faalele was held out of practice because of precautionary reasons. "He'll be back Monday,'' Fleck said.

Go Gophers!!
Maalouf gonna work some of that magic that he had with the Vikings kickers?

Moar chrome gold helmets please! One step closer to making them the default lids.

Go Gophers!!
Chilli boiling over!!! Man Lindenberg looks huge... He looked great in the spring game and I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a role this fall. Nice little snippet of Potts as well... I'm hopeful he'll stay healthy and have a big year behind Mo.

I thought all three of those things we’re verboten. What next: a KO return that nets better than a fair catch??

per STrib:

Gophers offensive coordinator Mike Sanford Jr. is seeking more productivity throughout his offense, and Kieft, a redshirt senior, and Brevyn Spann-Ford, a 6-7, 270-pound redshirt junior, offer Morgan a pair of large targets at tight end.

"They've been improving daily, and continued improvement is going to be needed," Sanford said Thursday. "That tight end group has experience."

Later Thursday, the top Gophers wide receiver, Chris Autman-Bell, suffered a right leg injury and was helped off the field during the team's open practice at Huntington Bank Stadium. The Gophers haven't given a status update on Autman-Bell, whose 78 career catches are 63 more than any teammate. Coach P.J. Fleck is next scheduled to speak with the media on Monday.

If Autman-Bell misses significant time, increased productivity from the tight ends could help fill any gaps.

"We're going to do our job, whatever play's called," Kieft said at the start of training camp. "That's our focus. If more pass plays get called for us, we're going to make more plays. If we're told we've got to block, that's all we're focused on."

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Texas A&M transfer Dylan Wright was the No. 70 overall recruit in 2019 by 247Sports and sorted through offers from big time programs before choosing the Aggies. “He is raising eyebrows, that’s for sure,” Sanford of Wright, who is preparing for his first season at Minnesota as a redshirt sophomore.

Defensive coordinator Joe Rossi on being referred to by his Minnesota players as a guru; “I don’t like it.”

Why? “Because it’s about players, not coaches,” Rossi said. “Players have to go out and make plays. Players gotta go out and execute defense. …”

Rossi has been using a trio of big, physical linebackers in practice. Jack Gibbens (245 pounds), Braelen Oliver (230) and Mariano Sori-Marin (245) will at times during the season be rotated out but they give the Gophers size and toughness needed against some opponents, particularly in Big Ten games.

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Matthew Trickett, the Kent State transfer, made 11 of 14 field goal attempts late at Monday’s practice and could be a lock to win the kicking job. True freshman quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis, from Antioch, Illinois, threw some of the best spirals at practice.

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Matthew Trickett, the Kent State transfer, made 11 of 14 field goal attempts late at Monday’s practice and could be a lock to win the kicking job. True freshman quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis, from Antioch, Illinois, threw some of the best spirals at practice.

Go Gophers!!
No, please, don't start this argument again! :p

Athan indicated in an interview he felt he could compete for the QB spot this year. I think that's a bit early just because he needs to get used to the playbook and build chemistry with the other offensive players, HOWEVER, I think he competes next year.

per Shama:

Texas A&M transfer Dylan Wright was the No. 70 overall recruit in 2019 by 247Sports and sorted through offers from big time programs before choosing the Aggies. “He is raising eyebrows, that’s for sure,” Sanford of Wright, who is preparing for his first season at Minnesota as a redshirt sophomore.

Defensive coordinator Joe Rossi on being referred to by his Minnesota players as a guru; “I don’t like it.”

Why? “Because it’s about players, not coaches,” Rossi said. “Players have to go out and make plays. Players gotta go out and execute defense. …”

Rossi has been using a trio of big, physical linebackers in practice. Jack Gibbens (245 pounds), Braelen Oliver (230) and Mariano Sori-Marin (245) will at times during the season be rotated out but they give the Gophers size and toughness needed against some opponents, particularly in Big Ten games.

Go Gophers!!
Lindenberg has looked very good.

I have my fingers crossed for another open practice. I'll be in MN from the 21st to the 29th and would love to go to an open practice. It was supposed to be the week after to overlap the game, but plans changed due to my SO needing to be at work in person that week. I will be traveling out for the game as well so no worries there. :)

I have my fingers crossed for another open practice. I'll be in MN from the 21st to the 29th and would love to go to an open practice. It was supposed to be the week after to overlap the game, but plans changed due to my SO needing to be at work in person that week. I will be traveling out for the game as well so no worries there. :)
Yeah I was bummed to be out of town for the last one.

Top Bottom