All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

No, I am not. It is too early to demand evidence and you know it. You are just spamming.
I didn’t demand evidence. I asked what evidence people have of this culture they are referencing. Some people think his coaching staff, current players and guys he is recruiting are indicative of the culture he is building. I said it’s too early because we have no idea what he wants to establish. So yes, you are agreeing with me. You just don’t understand where this argument started.

Pitino talked about defense as coach speak. We will find out soon how defense will be stressed in this regime. Even when losing games , great defense will show.
Great defense or great defensive effort or great defensive game planning? I don’t think they’ll play great defense this year—undermanned inside especially.

Great defense or great defensive effort or great defensive game planning? I don’t think they’ll play great defense this year—undermanned inside especially.
Ben could still get a big this summer that is good defensively. If not, Ihnen is the best answer they have defensively on the inside.

Ben could still get a big this summer that is good defensively. If not, Ihnen is the best answer they have defensively on the inside.
Agreed and agreed. Which is a tall task for him. Fox being injured hurts because he is by all accounts a very good and willing defender.
I should say I haven’t seen Thompson play much so maybe he can be an asset defensively?

Anyway—I got us way off topic.
Any more steam for the 2021 class? I know the portal remains fluid. Hopefully the NBA withdrawal date leads to the kid from BC (I think it’s BC?) committing here. He is a solid player.

We will find out soon how defense will be stressed in this regime. Even when losing games , great defense will show.

The two sentences above are contradictory. The first sentence gives the current state of things. The second sentence is you once again projecting your hopes and dreams onto a blank slate and deciding the outcomes are inevitable.

Hopefully the NBA withdrawal date leads to the kid from BC (I think it’s BC?) committing here. He is a solid player.

Well, the withdrawal date is a month from now and Johnson should be getting more than that one player anyway. Hopefully, there is another announcement soon.

Looks like nba combine invitations are just now going out. There are over 400 college Players that have submitted for the draft. About 100 will get an invite to the combine. Those not making the combine will likely make their choices of what to do over the next week or two. Don’t think we will have to wait until July 7 for the roster to fill out

I didn’t demand evidence. I asked what evidence people have of this culture they are referencing. Some people think his coaching staff, current players and guys he is recruiting are indicative of the culture he is building. I said it’s too early because we have no idea what he wants to establish. So yes, you are agreeing with me. You just don’t understand where this argument started.
You are talking yourself in circles. Again I am not agreeing with you, you are not agreeing with you.

If you truly believe it is too early, then why are you "asking" for evidence of "this culture" other than just for trolling purposes.

People who know Ben have certain expectations of the type of culture that he will instill and thus talk about it. They do not have to have much evidence at this time to believe it is taking place.

Listened to Ryan James from yesterday on KFAN and he said Mitchell and Manley are on their radar and are just waiting for the pre-draft camps and feedback and they would leave one spot open just in case someone decided to come back to school but transfer (like a Dawson Garcia, I assume).

You are talking yourself in circles. Again I am not agreeing with you, you are not agreeing with you.

If you truly believe it is too early, then why are you "asking" for evidence of "this culture" other than just for trolling purposes.

People who know Ben have certain expectations of the type of culture that he will instill and thus talk about it. They do not have to have much evidence at this time to believe it is taking place.
Lol. Ok!

Listened to Ryan James from yesterday on KFAN and he said Mitchell and Manley are on their radar and are just waiting for the pre-draft camps and feedback and they would leave one spot open just in case someone decided to come back to school but transfer (like a Dawson Garcia, I assume).
Manley? Im not familiar. Link to his page?

There's the answer.

So either

A) There are people on this board who know Ben and these people "expectations" are that he will have a "certain" type of culture. So really it those people cultures, not Bens.

B) People who are pro-ponents of the culture Ben is building (that are not friends with Ben), are actually just hopeful the culture is going to be what they think it is.

So the question isn't really about evidence, rather, what do these BJ friends and or backers feel the culture will be.

Man, I should be a supreme court judge eh....I'd make June 6th national Paloma Day.

If you haven't had a Paloma. Take 2 parts squirt and 1 part silver or gold tequila and mix. add sugar to the rim if you'd like. enjoY!

I think that kills the "he couldn't get into MN academically" line of thinking.
We cooled on him. Wasn’t a system fit. Wasn’t a culture fit. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Nice landing spot for him. Tim Duncan still coaching there?

If you haven't had a Paloma. Take 2 parts squirt and 1 part silver or gold tequila and mix. add sugar to the rim if you'd like. enjoY!
Love a good Paloma, but IMO your recipe is too sweet. Try this:

Highball glass, half filled with ice. Take half a lime and squeeze in the juice. Throw the shell of the lime in the glass. Add 1 part tequila and 2 parts Squirt, then add a splash of grapefruit juice. Stir and then add a pinch of coarse salt and serve.

The two sentences above are contradictory. The first sentence gives the current state of things. The second sentence is you once again projecting your hopes and dreams onto a blank slate and deciding the outcomes are inevitable.

Certainly in my hopes, not my dreams. My evidence is thin as it pertains to this program but i have a great deal of faith in Thorson based on how i have seen him teach and his point of emphasis. Before, we simply got words, no substance and a disjointed mish mash of plans.

Love a good Paloma, but IMO your recipe is too sweet. Try this:

Highball glass, half filled with ice. Take half a lime and squeeze in the juice. Throw the shell of the lime in the glass. Add 1 part tequila and 2 parts Squirt, then add a splash of grapefruit juice. Stir and then add a pinch of coarse salt and serve.
Try using grapefruit Izzy soda and orange bitters (plus the lime/salt/tequila). It's a nice riff and comes together a little simpler.

I think we will play better defense by efficiency than last year. No doubt a big ask with a new roster but with emphasis, detail and repetition this staff will make it non-negotiable. In the past we had guys who simply did not have to play defense because they scored. Our defensive rankings have been poor.

I think we will play better defense by efficiency than last year. No doubt a big ask with a new roster but with emphasis, detail and repetition this staff will make it non-negotiable. In the past we had guys who simply did not have to play defense because they scored. Our defensive rankings have been poor.
I don’t follow those rankings very closely. They certainly didn’t pass the eye test. When is the last time the Gophers had a good defensive team? I’m curious now.

I'd take Manley in a heart beat. Somewhat risky, but we desperately need a big man and he has some talent. He was healthy enough to play at the Tampa Bay Pro Combine last week and recorded a 35 inch vertical at nearly 7 feet tall, so his knee must be doing okay.

If he's healthy and comes here, that's certainly good news. Still, you have to be skeptical about someone who has played about 5 minutes over two years.

Top Bottom