All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

I am not trying to be Nostradamus. 20+ leads are lost many times each NBA season. They are not a rarity. There have been so many instances of the Wolves not being able to stop a run this year against both good and bad squads. Memphis cut those large leads in half in a matter of a few minutes bringing the deficit to a handful of possessions.

The Wolves just had no answer for Morant. He turned it on and off as needed like a bathroom faucet.
You must not watch a lot of NBA games. Twice in a game is quite a rarity.

You must not watch a lot of NBA games. Twice in a game is quite a rarity.
Thats the worst part of this......they have so much talent to build two separate 20+ point leads. That's great against any nba team, nevertheless a 2 seed

Looks like I need to give more respect to DLO.

Anyone know why Nowell doesnt get more clock? Need a true 6th man. Beasley aint it. He's a good catch and shoot guy, but we need a guy off the bench that can create for himself
No and sorta.

People ask that all the time. Don't know if Finch has answered it. He just won't play him.

As for Beasley, think he's a fine 6th man if, like some of the past 6th men he's comes in to strictly add instant offense. When he's not hitting his shot? Agreed he's not effective at all.

Thats the worst part of this......they have so much talent to build two separate 20+ point leads. That's great against any nba team, nevertheless a 2 seed
I think about it as "I'm going to spot you a 49-0 lead and I'm going to beat you by 9". Just me punching myself in the face to try to find the most misery as possible.

If there was going to be a night for KAT to have a big game, tonight is that night.

I'm not saying this is the apex moment of KAT's career, but after the last game, he seriously needs to step up, take control of this game, not make dumb fouls, and lead this team to a pivotal win.

Target Center is fun so far. No one took that Thursday game personally as everyone has been excited from the beginning.

What the heck is going on with these Taylor protesters? That’s three times now in last week including in Memphis

Glad the game wasn't another minute longer... the D held up better today other than their D on Bane which led to Memphis scoring 118.

I love that they stopped the runs today. Other than the middle of the 1st Q when Memphis jumped out to a lead and the nail biting at the end, the D found a way to get a stop.

WHY couldn't they have found a stop on Thursday? Even one stop during each of their big runs would likely have made a difference in the outcome. I would love to be up 3-1 now!

Would love to see Nowell get some run off the bench with that 2nd unit.

Nice W for the boys tonight 👍🏻

What the heck is going on with these Taylor protesters? That’s three times now in last week including in Memphis

Some group posted a statement online taking credit. It's all tied to a facility that Glen Taylor owns in Iowa. Because of the bird flu, they had to euthanize over a million chickens, and the animal rights group is claiming the birds were not killed in a humane fashion.

The group is called "Direct Action Everywhere." They want Taylor to sell the T-Wolves immediately.

Supposedly a protester was dressed up like a referee, and she was going to "call a technical foul on Taylor and eject him from the game......"

My takeaway from this whole affair is that the Timberwolves are a very good team that can play with anyone and beat anyone. They could easily be up 3-1 in this series. They're a piece or two and a little seasoning away from real contention.

On that subject, I'm not nearly as down on Towns as some people are. A lot of the time he gets put in a danged-if-you-do, danged-if-you-don't situation. Just in game three, the BSN crew criticized him both for not doing enough AND trying to do too much. Granted, he's a drama queen and needs to toughen up A LOT. But he's a unique talent, and in my opinion it'd be a mistake to get rid of him.

Did any of you see the Memphis coach just crying about the officiating after the game? Wow, what a little bitch.

My takeaway from this whole affair is that the Timberwolves are a very good team that can play with anyone and beat anyone. They could easily be up 3-1 in this series. They're a piece or two and a little seasoning away from real contention.

On that subject, I'm not nearly as down on Towns as some people are. A lot of the time he gets put in a danged-if-you-do, danged-if-you-don't situation. Just in game three, the BSN crew criticized him both for not doing enough AND trying to do too much. Granted, he's a drama queen and needs to toughen up A LOT. But he's a unique talent, and in my opinion it'd be a mistake to get rid of him.
I'm 100% with you on Towns as well as your 1st part. I would love to see him finish his career here, or do a Garnett and leave after a good run for a championship if he doesn't get one here. But like probably most everyone feels, "Grow a pair!!!!" I said in another post he needs to be a leader not a victim. But, yes, he is very unique if he would just focus on ball, and not the drama.

Towns is who he is and they aren't going to trade him. He's a top ten talent with either two or three years left of team control who seems to want to be here and who they can pay more than any other team. Unless they can get equal value in return in the form of current talent and draft choices, it doesn't work.

Great game last night. However....as much as I think Barkley is a chucklehead, he is correct about the wolves being talented but stupid. They tried like crazy to give the game away in the last three minutes. The Big Three started playing hero ball, which meant ball movement died when they needed it the most. There were a number of unforced errors and the Grizzlies finally missed a couple of open threes. For that, I'm deeply thankful. The wolves could easily be down 3-1 We live on.

Playoff basketball is the the best!!

This last week and a half has been a delight to be reintroduced to the drama and theater of Playoff hoops. Can feel how high the stakes are every possession, and it's only Round 1.
Wolves want to get that entire state of Minnesota monkey off everyone's back. Memphis doesn't want to be a 2 seed going down in the first round.

Scratch, claw!

Nothing but happy with that victory. Not thrilled about that "4-Corners" Offense they went into late. Wolves play a lot better when they move the ball around. Not when they go into "Hero Ball" mode. Though give Memphis defense credit. They played a tight man-to-man which, after the Wolves went into that damn 4 corners. Forcing the man with the ball to go it alone.

Aside from McLaughlin, the bench was just awful. Beasley didn't even get a shot off. As for Towns? He's a damn good player but MHO he's not a leader. He wants to be and all the heat he takes from the "Bring Back Big Man Ball" idiots makes him determined to be one. Which leads to going it alone, turnovers, anger at refs and getting tired.

He did a good job last night on the "ignore the refs" part. He only had 3 fouls in 42(!) minutes. Now he needs to ignore the hyenas and their constant desire to go back to "Big Men RULE" olden times.

Here's what they thought down in Memphis:

Memphis Grizzlies have bigger problems than the refs in Minnesota Timberwolves series

MINNEAPOLIS — Memphis Grizzlies coach Taylor Jenkins sat down with one objective as Saturday night turned into early Sunday morning inside the Target Center. He was going to blast the refs, and boy did he.

This was calculated. Just not in the way a coach typically reams out the refs in the middle of an NBA playoffs series as competitive as the one Memphis and Minnesota now find themselves in. It certainly wasn't as catchy as David Fizdale's "Take that for data" comment back in 2017.

So let’s start there, because why Jenkins said what he said is far more revealing and interesting than what he actually said after the Timberwolves evened this best-of-seven matchup at two games apiece with a 119-118 win over the Grizzlies.

The quotes rightfully received a lot of attention. In calling an officiating crew “arrogant” and “embarrassing,” as Jenkins did, he conceded it was a matter of how much the NBA fines him.But his intent went beyond what took place in Game 4, when the Grizzlies were forced to play 12 guys in the first quarter because the entire starting lineup got into foul trouble and Minnesota star Karl-Anthony Towns shot more free throws than he had in more than five years. This wasn't just to prevent it from happening again now that the magical season Memphis put together comes down to winning two of the next three games.

His rant is all anyone talked about afterwards, and that was the point. Because the Grizzlies have bigger problems than the refs in this series.

Just listen to star guard Ja Morant. His words, frankly, are of far more concern than the whistle-fest that frequently turned these first four games into excruciating marathons.

“I’m not Ja right now,” Morant said. “I’m not playing above the rim.”

He was then asked if that was in reference to his health, to the knee injury that kept him out three weeks at the end of the regular season, and the quad injury he appeared to suffer in Game 2 after getting kneed by Towns on a screen.

His rant is all anyone talked about afterwards, and that was the point. Because the Grizzlies have bigger problems than the refs in this series.

Just listen to star guard Ja Morant. His words, frankly, are of far more concern than the whistle-fest that frequently turned these first four games into excruciating marathons.

“I’m not Ja right now,” Morant said. “I’m not playing above the rim.”

He was then asked if that was in reference to his health, to the knee injury that kept him out three weeks at the end of the regular season, and the quad injury he appeared to suffer in Game 2 after getting kneed by Towns on a screen

“I’m almost there. Almost,” Morant responded. “It’s not an excuse, though.”..

Last edited:

I'm 100% with you on Towns as well as your 1st part. I would love to see him finish his career here, or do a Garnett and leave after a good run for a championship if he doesn't get one here. But like probably most everyone feels, "Grow a pair!!!!" I said in another post he needs to be a leader not a victim. But, yes, he is very unique if he would just focus on ball, and not the drama.
The problem is he's in his 7th season. He is who he is. He's not changing. If they can get adequate value I'd still trade him.

Top Bottom