All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

I'd do that trade in two seconds.

Unload DLO's awful contract. McDaniels is a stick figure and offers little. Two first round picks mean little.

If you were Morey you'd trade Simmons for Russell, McDaniels and two 1st Round picks? With the 76ers so close now that's surprising.

Why?

I watched most of the second half last night. When DLo start hitting 3's, unless it's in the last two minutes, it's always fools gold. We know the pattern. Late in the game, when the defense tightens up, he can't direct the offense, makes sloppy passes and dribbles late into the possession. A disaster souffle. DLo, KAT and Ant can get by on their individual skills early in games but the lack of ball movement kills them when it counts.
I honestly thought Rosas had assembled enough talent, depth and composure, with a higher caliber coach now in place, to achieve a 7th or 8th seed this year. Even without a real power forward. This team remains too fragile and too incomplete to handle any serious pressure. My outlook was obviously wrong.
At this point in time, the overriding concern is each season that goes by without the success on the court that builds fan interest, is a step in the wrong direction for keeping the team in this market.
Relax, sir!

If you were Morey you'd trade Simmons for Russell, McDaniels and two 1st Round picks? With the 76ers so close now that's surprising.

Why?
Because we can't defend the perimeter. Teams are raining 3's again.

Simmons rebounds and plays 1st team all NBA defense. He has averaged 16 points per game in his career, and rebounds. We can't rebound. We can't defend the 3. DLO is a ball stopper, Simmons moves the ball. He provides a tall physical player. We don't have one.

McDaniels doesn't do anything for me.

DLO slows the ball down and play no defense whatsoever.

You then trade Towns later. Im starting to think he's Kevin Love back in the day. Great numbers, little defense, can't be the main guy.

This is all based on Simmons willing to play here and being mentally healthy.

Because we can't defend the perimeter. Teams are raining 3's again.

Simmons rebounds and plays 1st team all NBA defense. He has averaged 16 points per game in his career, and rebounds. We can't rebound. We can't defend the 3. DLO is a ball stopper, Simmons moves the ball. He provides a tall physical player. We don't have one.

McDaniels doesn't do anything for me.

DLO slows the ball down and play no defense whatsoever.

You then trade Towns later. Im starting to think he's Kevin Love back in the day. Great numbers, little defense, can't be the main guy.

This is all based on Simmons willing to play here and being mentally healthy.

Jamiche said that Morey wouldn't do the trade. I asked why you thought Morey WOULD do the trade. :giggle:

Both your answers were why Minnesota would do the trade!

I'll try again. Why would Morey do that trade? How could it make the 76ers better this year?

Jamiche said that Morey wouldn't do the trade. I asked why you thought Morey WOULD do the trade. :giggle:

Both your answers were why Minnesota would do the trade!

I'll try again. Why would Morey do that trade? How could it make the 76ers better this year?
DLO has to be guarded, which helps Simmons.

Two first round picks may be about the best they can get.

It probably doesn't make them that much better, but Simmons value is in the dumpster. They may be in take best offer mode. Could this be the best offer?

If the wolves were to acquire Simmons, I believe it would be a three way trade.

Last edited:

Anybody? Probably, but they would be in a distinct minority.

Besides, it's doubtful that Simmons would report to them or anybody else outside of the West Coast.
Agreed

I'd do that trade in two seconds.

Unload DLO's awful contract. McDaniels is a stick figure and offers little. Two first round picks mean little.
Everybody in MN would do that trade in two seconds. The question becomes is there any reason in the universe that Morey would be stupid or desperate enough to do that trade.

Everybody in MN would do that trade in two seconds. The question becomes is there any reason in the universe that Morey would be stupid or desperate enough to do that trade.
Well, he wants a superstar back and is apparently still waiting. What's the holdup?

No one will come and play?

Well, he wants a superstar back and is apparently still waiting. What's the holdup?

No one will come and play?

They shouldn't. Morey is asking too much.

Heard he wants a superstar back and a couple of good draft choices too. Guessing that most teams are waiting because they don't value Simmons that highly and/or they are convinced that as the season goes by, Morey's price will go down.

Can't think of anybody who thinks of Russell and his year and a half of All Star play, is a superstar.

I wouldn't, and it has nothing to do with Dlo's erratic play. Ben Simmons gets paid way too much for someone who can't shoot in today's NBA. I do not see how he makes this Wolves better.

Dlo only has one year left on his contract after this season at 31 million. Ben Simmons has 3 left after this season, moving from 35 to 37 to 40 million per season. The 76ers have not regressed so far this season without Simmons, which I think is telling.

I'd much rather have 1 more year of Dlo's terrible contract over 3 more year's of Ben Simmons terrible contract.

Last edited:

I wouldn't, and it has nothing to do with Dlo's erratic play. Ben Simmons gets paid way too much for someone who can't shoot in today's NBA. I do not see how he makes this Wolves better.

Dlo only has one year left on his contract after this season at 31 million. Ben Simmons has 3 left after this season, moving from 35 to 37 to 40 million per season. The 76ers have not regressed so far this season without Simmons, which I think is telling.

I'd much rather have 1 more year of Dlo's terrible contract over 3 more year's of Ben Simmons terrible contract.

You got some good points there. Particularly about the money and how the 76ers are still playing well. Though their schedule has something to do with that. That Conference has been brutal so far.

Yes, the Wolves biggest problem for years has been shooting. Second, IMHO, defense. Last 2-3 years the lack of ball movement and rebounding have been glaring too.

Could Simmons improve on his shooting? Yeah, but that would be a tough. Every time it's talked about people say 'What about Jason Kidd?!" The fact that they only have the single go-to name means it's tough to do. Simmons numbers from the line are brutal. Same with his 3pt%. Overall from the floor, not bad, but the problem is he just won't shoot. Still, he's averaged nearly 16pts a game throughout his career.

The other two problems though?

Simmons is one of the best defensive players in the NBA. Been Top Five at least for 2-3 years now. He can guard just about anybody on the floor. The Wolves defense would vastly improve anytime he's out there. Take a lot of pressure off Towns and any PF on the floor.

Ball movement? Simmons has averaged nearly 8 assists a game. He's a good to great distributor. Good rebounder too. Nearly 8 of them a game. Add in that he plays 33 minutes and misses very few games and Simmons would be a great addition to any NBA team.

Would take him in a second if the Wolves could unload salary and only give-up a single #1 pick.

Just can't see that happening.

My night was made tonight with the Warriors game.

Edwards went for almost 50, which should continue to build him up

And this happened too

You got some good points there. Particularly about the money and how the 76ers are still playing well. Though their schedule has something to do with that. That Conference has been brutal so far.

Yes, the Wolves biggest problem for years has been shooting. Second, IMHO, defense. Last 2-3 years the lack of ball movement and rebounding have been glaring too.

Could Simmons improve on his shooting? Yeah, but that would be a tough. Every time it's talked about people say 'What about Jason Kidd?!" The fact that they only have the single go-to name means it's tough to do. Simmons numbers from the line are brutal. Same with his 3pt%. Overall from the floor, not bad, but the problem is he just won't shoot. Still, he's averaged nearly 16pts a game throughout his career.

Simmons is one of the best defensive players in the NBA. Been Top Five at least for 2-3 years now. He can guard just about anybody on the floor. The Wolves defense would vastly improve anytime he's out there. Take a lot of pressure off Towns and any PF on the floor.

Ball movement? Simmons has averaged nearly 8 assists a game. He's a good to great distributor. Good rebounder too. Nearly 8 of them a game. Add in that he plays 33 minutes and misses very few games and Simmons would be a great addition to any NBA team.

Would take him in a second if the Wolves could unload salary and only give-up a single #1 pick.

Simmons is definitely good at everything else. Defense is all about effort and is teachable as long as the player is willing to put in the work. I'd much rather take a great shooter and teach them how to play D and pass.

Shooting is something that I think players either have or they don't. Shooting comes naturally and the best shooters in the league have always been able to shoot. Teaching a bad shooter to become a great shooter rarely happens because it's not the learnable skill some want to believe it is.

Simmons is definitely good at everything else. Defense is all about effort and is teachable as long as the player is willing to put in the work. I'd much rather take a great shooter and teach them how to play D and pass.

Shooting is something that I think players either have or they don't. Shooting comes naturally and the best shooters in the league have always been able to shoot. Teaching a bad shooter to become a great shooter rarely happens because it's not the learnable skill some want to believe it is.

Yep, agreed with you on the shooting.

Jason Kidd. He did it, but as I mentioned, that's the only player that anyone ever mentions when talking about players who have vastly improved their shooting on the NBA level. The lack of other names underlines why it's so tough.

Glad I didn't see last night's game. The Warriors have the best record in the league and the Wolves are the 13th team in their Conference and the 5th worst overall. Wolves bench gave them 20pts. Warriors got 31 from theirs. The loss is not surprising. Something else isn't either.

The Wolves shot 20 free throws to the Warriors 40. Edwards had 12 of them along with having a great night. Towns didn't get any on a mediocre night. He did get 12 rebounds and took19 shots. 9 within the 3 and didn't get a single Free Throw attempt.

Were there honest reasons for why Towns didn't get to the line at all and the Warriors doubling the Wolves attempts? Sure. But if the trend continues as it is only a small minority will miss them when they leave.

Last edited:

Pouting would be the reason.
I only saw five minutes of the game last night (enough to know where it was going), so I don't know if KAT reverted back to the whiney behavior with the refs. However, prior to last night, he has really cleaned that part of his game up over the last ten days or so.

If the wolves could get Simmons for DLo, McDaniels and even two #1's, I'd do it for three reasons:

1. Defense;
2. Rebounding;
3. Ball Movement

The main reason the wolves blow games at the end is the lack of ball movement. KAT, DLo and Ant can get away with doing things on their own for the first three quarters. However, when defenses tighten up in the fourth, the only way to counter that is to move the ball to the open man. The wolves fail miserably at that, mostly thanks to DLo. Ant also. Simmons would fix that problem.

In the first half last night, the wolves were outscored on the fast break 20-0. That is beyond description.

If the wolves could get Simmons for DLo, McDaniels and even two #1's, I'd do it for three reasons:

1. Defense;
2. Rebounding;
3. Ball Movement

The main reason the wolves blow games at the end is the lack of ball movement. KAT, DLo and Ant can get away with doing things on their own for the first three quarters. However, when defenses tighten up in the fourth, the only way to counter that is to move the ball to the open man. The wolves fail miserably at that, mostly thanks to DLo. Ant also. Simmons would fix that problem.
The problem with that is the 76er's might be watching DLO and McDaniels play.

I pretty much hate DLO with a passion in watching him play. I'm sure Philly does, too.

Wiggins is now motivated to play two teams, Toronto and Minnesota.
You forgot about the cavs
Wiggins seems destined after his contract runs out to bounce around the association a fair bit. I can see him stacking a list of teams similar to Vince Carter by the time he's in his early 30's. That's when the TWolves should sign him back up--if he's got a vendetta versus half the teams, you might have an All-Star on your hands.

I thought the Wolves would be a playoff team this year with ANT, DLO, and KAT all healthy and playing together. It's becoming more obvious that will not be the case.

The pieces keep changing around KAT, but the results do not. As much as I've defended his elite offensive ability, it's time to move on. The Wolves need to get what they can for him and DLO, and hope the ping pong balls allow them to build around ANT and Chet, and whoever else they get in return.

I thought the Wolves would be a playoff team this year with ANT, DLO, and KAT all healthy and playing together. It's becoming more obvious that will not be the case.

The pieces keep changing around KAT, but the results do not. As much as I've defended his elite offensive ability, it's time to move on. The Wolves need to get what they can for him and DLO, and hope the ping pong balls allow them to build around ANT and Chet, and whoever else they get in return.
In some ways KAT seems like Kevin Love or Al Jefferson. Good numbers but don't do a thing to help you win. All three are poor defensive players, also.

Top Bottom