All Things 2021-2022 College Basketball Coach Hire/Fire Thread

It's crazy how the smaller school coaches get their teams to the tournament and maybe win that first round game...as soon as they lose they have a new job!!! If they just get there, they got options. They don't have time to visit campus or interview...boom!!! New coach at so and so U is
first round NCAA winner Coach ________.

Does Texas Tech have a coach in waiting? Because their new coach is not young and had pretty limited HC experience. He seems an odd choice to replace Beard (good team though.)

Does Texas Tech have a coach in waiting? Because their new coach is not young and had pretty limited HC experience. He seems an odd choice to replace Beard (good team though.)

Limited head coaching experience? He was 554-244 over 23 years as a HC when he took the job, albeit at lower levels. He's considered one of the best defensive coaches in college, which you have seen over the last 6 years there.

He is almost 66 but college coaches can coach into their mid 70s. Not sure that they have a coach in waiting.

Last edited:

Limited head coaching experience? He was 554-244 over 23 years as a HC when he took the job, albeit at lower levels. He's considered one of the best defensive coaches in college, which you have seen over the last 6 years there.

He is almost 66 but college coaches can coach into their mid 70s. Not sure that they have a coach in waiting.
Limited D-1 Coaching experience. 5 years at Texas Pan-American 25 years ago.

Dane Fife not returning to Indiana as an assistant. Indiana also loses former 5* Khristian Lander to the portal today

South Dakota hires former South Dakota and Utah State Assistant, under Craig Smith, Eric Peterson

Lamont Paris, the new coach for the Gamecocks has had six players from this year's roster enter the transfer portal including the #1, #2, and #4 leading scorers since he was hired. Paris is the former coach of the Chattanooga Mocs who were in the tournament this year... definitely not an unknown commodity.

In the advent of the free transfer, this seems to have become something of the norm following a coaching change. I have mixed feelings about this. I think it leads to a poorer quality of basketball as there is less cohesiveness with players coming and going.

Citadel isn't a normal school experience. That's some strict military training school.

Like being in ROTC, but on steroids.

Ed Conroy played for The Citadel from 1985-89 and then was the head coach at The Citadel from 2006-2010. Had less than moderate success, but still got the the Tulane job, where he again had less than moderate success. Interesting The Citadel chose to bring him back. Although expectations aren't high. That program has never won a conference title or been to the NCAA Tourney.

Because Minnesota could have had him?
No, we couldn’t have.
I would rather have him.

But from what I’m reading Matta wanted back in once his health was under control. It wasn’t under control last year where he felt confident coming back.

It’s depressing that we never have the right timing in hoops though.

No, we couldn’t have.
I would rather have him.

But from what I’m reading Matta wanted back in once his health was under control. It wasn’t under control last year where he felt confident coming back.

It’s depressing that we never have the right timing in hoops though.
Butler is a perfect fit. Super strong ties there for him and his whole family.

Matta doesn't have "Minnesota ties." We wouldn't have hired him even if he was interested.

LaSalle chimes in with a hire of a 73-year old Fran Dunphy:

La Salle is expected to hire Fran Dunphy as the Explorers' next coach, sources confirmed to ESPN on Tuesday.

Dunphy has spent 30 years as a head coach in Philadelphia at both Penn and Temple, taking 17 different teams to the NCAA tournament at the two schools.

Dunphy, 73, is one of the best-known names in Philadelphia basketball. His hire brings instant credibility and relevance to a school that has lagged behind the other basketball schools in the city.

Since joining the Atlantic 10 in 1995, La Salle has made the NCAA tournament just once. The school hasn't had a winning record since 2014-15. The school's last NCAA tournament came in 2013.

Go Gophers!!

Wow San Diego chimes in with a bold hire:

Steve Lavin, an NCAA tournament regular in 12 seasons as coach at UCLA and St. John's, was hired Wednesday night to take over the struggling program at San Diego.

Lavin, 57, replaces Sam Scholl, who was fired March 6 after the Toreros went 15-16 in a third straight losing season. San Diego has had just four winning seasons and one NCAA tournament appearance under three coaches since Brad Holland was fired after going 18-14 in 2006-07.

Athletic director Bill McGillis said Lavin had been a candidate since the beginning of the monthlong search process.

"I just think it's a great alignment. I think under his leadership we have a chance to catapult to new heights," said McGillis, who had dinner with Lavin near campus on Wednesday night.

Lavin was 145-78 at UCLA in seven seasons from 1996 to 2003. He took the Bruins to the Elite Eight in his first season and made four other Sweet 16 appearances. He was fired after UCLA went 10-19 in 2002-03, the only season he didn't get the Bruins into the NCAAs.

He was 92-72 at St. John's from 2010 to '15, with two NCAA tournament berths and two NIT appearances. Lavin left St. John's in 2015 after going 21-12. That season ended with a 76-64 loss to San Diego State in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Go Gophers!!

Can't believe he's only 57. Seems like he should have been a teenager when he coached UCLA. But my mind distorts reality sometimes.

Top Bottom