All Things 2019-2020 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Reasonably optimistic after reading some more in-depth reviews of the trade. It sounds like they got a handful of guys with real promise and potential that either got squeezed out of the rotation due to depth and/or some injuries.

At the very least, these last 30 games should be a good test drive for both the Wolves and some of these players to showcase what they have and see if they fit with what the Wolves want to do.
This move, sadly, will mean nothing overall. All my opinion but it is a nothing lost, nothing gained, overall type of move.

Garbage in, garbage out. Maybe Beasley ends up being a decent player, but there's just nothing to look forward to with this team. Culver is meh. Okogie is probably a bust. They have two picks in the next draft, which looks like one of the worst drafts in the past decade. Hopeless.

It is something only if they can turn a combination of players and those draft picks into someone who has proven they can play well at the NBA level. The roster now a player or two aside, is bereft of those guys.

Anything is the teams history since 2005 that makes you think they will get that done? Thibodeau got them back to the players. Then destroyed the team. Book is still open on Gersson Rosa. People remember his stint at Houston, where he worked under Morey. They forget about how he skipped-out on Cuban and the Mavericks.

TV won't tell us, but the guys on here who go to the games say the number of people in the building indicates that the hardcore support is slipping heavily indeed.

So far Rosa's actions are looking like something that will drive that support down, not up.

New Timberwolves general manager Gersson Rosas just took his first big swing. Minnesota has been linked to D’Angelo Russell since hiring Rosas this summer, with those rumors exploding in the last week, but meeting Golden State’s price for the 23-year-old All-Star was always going to be hard, if not impossible. So Rosas settled for being part of a complex four-team, 12-player deal that sent Robert Covington to Houston and Clint Capela to Atlanta and brought Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangomez, and Jarred Vanderbilt from Denver to Minnesota.

There are a lot of moving pieces here. This was a huge gamble for the Wolves, but it may not get them much closer to actually acquiring Russell, who has become something of a white whale. Covington was also one of their only players whom other teams wanted, as well as Karl-Anthony Towns’s best friend on the team. Minnesota’s franchise player didn’t seem happy when he posted an image of a concerned-looking Drake on his Instagram stories after the deal broke Tuesday night.

But Towns could end up changing his mind once the dust settles. This deal checks two important boxes for Minnesota: It acquired talented young players in Beasley (23), Hernangomez (24), and Vanderbilt (20), who are closer in age to Towns (24) than Covington (29), while also adding depth to a roster sparse on talent..

You gotta give Gersson Rosas a TON of credit. He's completely remade the roster over the last two weeks (and in the last 48 hours in particular) and he got rid of what seemed like an un-movable contract in Wiggins and he didn't have to trade too many draft picks to do it (net even on first rounders, and ours is protected in 2021).

Wow. New life, new energy with the franchise overnight.

Howl Wolves!!

You gotta give Gersson Rosas a TON of credit. He's completely remade the roster over the last two weeks (and in the last 48 hours in particular) and he got rid of what seemed like an un-movable contract in Wiggins and he didn't have to trade too many draft picks to do it (net even on first rounders, and ours is protected in 2021).

Wow. New life, new energy with the franchise overnight.

Howl Wolves!!
We walked out of the game last night to go watch the Gopher game. I had seriously lost all hope and I am a diehard Wolves fan. Things change so quickly sometimes.

Can't believe Rosas got someone to take that deal, but now watch Wiggins turn into an All-Star.

One thing this does - a huge amount of Timberwolves Scorn has been focused on Wiggins. Now he's gone.

That puts KAT in the cross-hairs. the Twin Cities media has been roasting KAT for his comments about being disrespected for missing the All-Star Game (after sitting out a big chunk of the season with injuries.) Also a lot of Talk about KAT not playing defense.

So, with Wiggins gone, KAT has no buffer or no one else to absorb flack. It's all on him for better and worse. Let's see how he handles the brunt of the criticism.

We walked out of the game last night to go watch the Gopher game. I had seriously lost all hope and I am a diehard Wolves fan. Things change so quickly sometimes.
Who do you hope they draft?

Glen Taylor- I looked Wiggins in the eye and asked him if he was ready to lead the team. He agreed and I gave him the contract. Awesome

I don't have any ill will toward Wiggins. He is by all accounts a pretty decent guy and kept his nose clean while he was here.
But when those are the nicest things you can say about an athlete...

Too early for that. Let me bask in the glory of never having to watch Wiggins (and Teague) play for the Wolves again.

Oh, ok. Please get a PF that can help Kat on defense. That is my #1 hope. Not sure that guy exists for the next draft though.

Too early for that. Let me bask in the glory of never having to watch Wiggins (and Teague) play for the Wolves again.

Oh, ok. Please get a PF that can help Kat on defense. That is my #1 hope. Not sure that guy exists for the next draft though.
Ideally, I'd have liked to unload that pick to the Warriors this year. I think this draft is pretty weak, plus they have the 1st they picked up the other day anyway. Oh well. Couldn't let that break the deal.

Glen Taylor- I looked Wiggins in the eye and asked him if he was ready to lead the team. He agreed and I gave him the contract. Awesome

Is that better or worse than tikited's guy David Kahn knowing he wanted to draft Jonny Flynn over Curry when he saw Flynn's smile?!

Howl Wolves!!

Another wing who cannot shoot the three! lol
Cole Anthony 6-3 pg who can shoot and score and lead.
D Russell can play SG.

later prospects:
Not sure who is coming out and I havent seen them play much but 6-8 S Bey SF from Nova is shooting 51% from 3, and making 49 in 22 games.
J. Ramsey T Tech Fr 6-4 195 SG hitting 43%, making 43 in 18 games.

Twolves have missed on J murray years ago and T. Hero more recently when they went athlete over shooters at guard or wing.

Oturu? Selfishly, I hope Daniel plays for the Gophs for another year but I think he is going to be a borderline great NBA PF in a couple years.

Dlo is trash. Would rather have Wiggins.

Think about it. Dlo and WIgs have the same contract. A huge max contract. They arent going to make that swap if they think Dlo is a better player, regardless of the draft pick. This trade tells me they would rather have Wigs, and so would I.

Oturu? Selfishly, I hope Daniel plays for the Gophs for another year but I think he is going to be a borderline great NBA PF in a couple years.

Oturu would fit right in next to towns. I like it.

What I dont like is Rosas thinking he needs a small ball 4 next to Kat. He needs a big man ready to play D and block shots

Think about it. Dlo and WIgs have the same contract. A huge max contract. They arent going to make that swap if they think Dlo is a better player, regardless of the draft pick. This trade tells me they would rather have Wigs, and so would I.
There is more to it. GW just got under the tax with the move. They really wanted to do that.

DLo is light years better than Wiggins for the Wolves. The numbers don't tell the whole story. This is a major win for the Wolves.

Respectfully, you're out of your mind. For one thing, Russell can only play the 1 or 2. When Curry and Thompson are back next season, there's no place in the starting lineup for him, and presumably they don't want a $30M player coming off the bench. Wiggins can play SF and will slide nicely into that role for Golden St. You're also ignoring that Golden St. is acquiring what will likely be a top 10 pick next year. It wasn't a 1:1 trade.

Top Bottom