All Things 2019-2020 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

I wouldn't go that far. He is good on offense. His shooting is the best it's ever been. 39% threes shooting nearly 10 per game is good.
Yep. I've come around on him big time. If we can get him by trading Wiggins, pick from a Covington deal and even our pick (protected-at least 1-5)...I'd do it in a heartbeat. GWS needs to get under the tax and just might be willing to send DLo and Looney to do so. At least that is what many hopeful T-Wolves fans would like.

Guess it's possible but :cautious:

Shams Charania

@ShamsCharania

Sources: Minnesota, Atlanta, Houston are in serious discussions on a deal that would send Robert Covington to Rockets and Clint Capela to the Hawks. Evan Turner and draft compensation involved in current talks to Timberwolves. Potential fourth team too.

Guess it's possible but :cautious:

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

Sources: Minnesota, Atlanta, Houston are in serious discussions on a deal that would send Robert Covington to Rockets and Clint Capela to the Hawks. Evan Turner and draft compensation involved in current talks to Timberwolves. Potential fourth team too.

What the heck? I realize its speculation, though Shams is as good as Woj, so he is clearly on to something. Why are we so intent on trading RoCo? He's in demand, has a friendly contract and actually plays D. We should hold on for a very high price. Evan Turner is nothing, so "draft compensation" better be a solid first round pick.

Howl Wolves!!

What the heck? I realize its speculation, though Shams is as good as Woj, so he is clearly on to something. Why are we so intent on trading RoCo? He's in demand, has a friendly contract and actually plays D. We should hold on for a very high price. Evan Turner is nothing, so "draft compensation" better be a solid first round pick.

Howl Wolves!!

Can't argue with that. Would only say that Wojo is also reported something similar. Or, just as likely, all 4-5 teams are leaking things to see how the others will react.

Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn

·
8m

Among the serious candidates to emerge as a new fourth team in this trade scenario, league sources tell ESPN: The Denver Nuggets. Talks with teams elsewhere are ongoing too.
Quote Tweet

eNDdgklW_normal.jpg

Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn
· 44m
Minnesota, Houston and Atlanta are still engaged in talks on a three-team deal -- with no new progress in discussions on adding Golden State to deal, league sources tell ESPN. Talks remain fluid through Thursday 3 PM ET deadline.

Howl Wolves!!

Just looked and Evan Turner is on the last year of a four year contract. He's getting $18m this year. Golden State is rumored to want salary relief so....

CBS trade grades:

Minnesota Timberwolves trade grade: Incomplete
Covington was one of the hottest commodities of this trade season, and the asking price reportedly was two first-round picks. The Wolves didn't get that, but they got one first and two potential rotation players in Malik Beasley and Juancho Hernangomez, both of whom are restricted free agents this offseason. If they end up being part of Minnesota's future plans, great. If not, they let them go in the summer and move on with their first-round pick. Vanderbilt also has some potential untapped upside.

That being said, it's hard to imagine that the Wolves are done making moves. Whether it's before the trade deadline or into the summer, they don't appear to be giving up on their pursuit of Warriors guard D'Angelo Russell. Perhaps they use the first-round pick they received in the trade in an eventual deal. Maybe they use Turner as salary filler in another trade for a win-now player. The point is, we can't really grade the Wolves' portion of this trade until we know what they end up with, so they get an incomplete.

Howl Wolves!!

Roco was their only player on a team friendly contract who was valuable on both ends and they essentially traded him for a mid first round pick this year, assuming Kyrie doesn’t blow out his oft injured knee. I wish the previous sentence was made up.

The Houston Rockets acquired the Minnesota Timberwolves' Robert Covingtonand traded center Clint Capela to the Atlanta Hawks as part of a four-team, 12-player deal on Tuesday night, league sources told ESPN.

The NBA's most expansive trade in nearly 20 years saw the Timberwolves acquire two first-round picks, including Houston's 2020 pick, which they moved on to the Denver Nuggets for guard Malik Beasley and forward Juan Hernangomez, sources said.

The Timberwolves keep the best available first-round pick in the trade deadline marketplace: Atlanta's 2020 first-round pick via the Brooklyn Nets. Denver gets Houston's 2020 first-round pick; the Nuggets are expected to be active offering it in deals to continue upgrading a roster that is third in the Western Conference standings.

Among the trade details, sources told ESPN:

For the Rockets, they keep the flexibility of $12 million in cap space that allows them to expand this trade between now and Thursday's 3 p.m. ET NBA trade deadline. Houston can add a player who helps now, take on a player for assets and use those to further upgrade the team..

The Rockets are 10-1 in the games Capela has missed this season and have become increasingly reliant on playing small-ball lineups with 3-point threats surrounding superstar guards James Harden and Russell Westbrook..

SI.com weighs in:

Minnesota Timberwolves: B
Receive: Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangomez, Jarred Vanderbilt, Evan Turner, 2020 lottery-protected first-round pick (from Atlanta, via Brooklyn)

The Timberwolves’ season has turned for the worse, but they may not be done dealing, as they orient their roster for the future,and use this deal to load up on young players and draft assets they can either keep or flip again in another trade. One of the more intriguing storylines left is whether or not they can pry D’Angelo Russell from Golden State in the next day or so. The fact he wasn’t part of this deal suggests that may have to wait. It was widely known at this point that Minnesota was angling for two first-rounders for Covington. The fact they did the deal anyway suggests a degree of haste, particularly with Covington on such a manageable contract. They could have sat on their hands until the draft, tried to trade him then, and probably have found something they liked. The likely mid-first rounder they acquired from the Hawks becomes a useful liquid asset, and if Brooklyn misses the playoffs, the pick defers to next season, also with lottery protection. But it’s not the sort of immediately sexy return that will have the fan base crowing about the future.

The most intriguing piece of this deal is Beasley, who is approaching restricted free agency and was likely to cost more than the Nuggets could afford, at least with their salary cap as constituted. The 23-year-old was in midst of his second season as a full-time contributor in Denver, but had seen his role and minutes decrease this season and his shooting percentages decline, with the Nuggets starting to make room for the emerging, presently healthy Michael Porter Jr., and having a surplus of capable guards on the roster. Whether or not Minnesota aims to keep Beasley on his next deal, they have more options moving forward, adding him to a mix of younger wings that includes Jarrett Culver, Josh Okogie and of course, Andrew Wiggins. But if they keep him, this deal places a bit of inherent risk in Beasley’s fit as yet another scoring-oriented perimeter player.

Hernangomez is a former first-round pick and occasionally productive body who started 25 games for the Nuggets last season but has yet to find a true foothold, and should have a clearer pathway to minutes if he stays in Minnesota. There are still some around the league holding out hope for Vanderbilt, an outstanding rebounder who has thus far lacked the auxiliary skills to stay in a rotation. Both players should get looks for the rest of the season, and if the Wolves can wean any extra value out of either player, there’s some additional upside. At the very least, they get a short-term window to assess Beasley’s fit, and will have another pick to play with in the draft. Covington was Minnesota’s only piece of substantial value, and the return is at least sensible. Whether they could have gotten more for him closer to the draft, we’ll never know

It’s worth noting that there’s no longer a nominal point guard on the Timberwolves’ roster beyond Jordan McLaughlin, who’s on a two-way contract. Whether or not they’re able to land Russell, either this week or perhaps in the off-season it’s something they’ll have to try and figure out. Turner can fudge some point forward minutes if he stays, but his contract expires this summer, and he could be a buyout candidate, as well

I like Beasley. Lets see what he can do. Hopefully he thrives and we can sign him to a reasonable contract. He is a RFA, but the cap is coming down, so teams will only offer so much.

I would like to see them pursue Dinwiddie from the nets. Could give Brooklyn their pick back and maybe something else.

I like Beasley. Lets see what he can do. Hopefully he thrives and we can sign him to a reasonable contract. He is a RFA, but the cap is coming down, so teams will only offer so much.

I would like to see them pursue Dinwiddie from the nets. Could give Brooklyn their pick back and maybe something else.

Beasley might break through. Problem he's a Restricted Free Agent next Summer and his reaction to coming over here, while understandable, was a pretty tough one.
https://twitter.com/CBurkhardtNBCS
From Chris Burkehardt on Twitter:

Wow... Malik Beasley just walking into the media room, tears in his eyes, and thanked all the Denver media members for all they've done for him. Walked out joking, "I'ma drop 50 on y'all." Man, the human + business side of basketball is tough to see.

Last edited:

[
Beasley might break through. Problem he's a Free Agent next Summer and his reaction to coming over here, while understandable, was a pretty tough one.

Wow... Malik Beasley just walking into the media room, tears in his eyes, and thanked all the Denver media members for all they've done for him. Walked out joking, "I'ma drop 50 on y'all." Man, the human + business side of basketball is tough to see.

Though I did just find this:

According to The Denver Post, Beasley and Hernangomez had approached Nuggets management recently about a trade, as they sought expanded roles and more minutes in a situation only complicated by the emergence of rookie Michael Porter Jr. This move helped to solidify roles within the roster, and reportedly helped the Nuggets to avoid spending in restricted free agency on Beasley or Hernangomez.

Beasley might break through. Problem he's a Restricted Free Agent next Summer and his reaction to coming over here, while understandable, was a pretty tough one.

I bet we can get him for 12-15 million per year, unless he really takes off, which is a nice problem to have.

I'd like to see them take a flyer on Dennis Smith Jr, or trade for Aaron Holiday or Spence Dinwiddie.

Then target a big man in draft (McDaniels, Carey, toppin, or oturu)

Will they have enough guys available to field a team tonight? Or will they have to enlist fans? Will there be enough fans to enlist?

I bet we can get him for 12-15 million per year, unless he really takes off, which is a nice problem to have.

Man, I hope it doesn't cost that much for him. I was hoping around $8 per year. It's tough to tell with an up and down last few years.

Man, I hope it doesn't cost that much for him. I was hoping around $8 per year. It's tough to tell with an up and down last few years.
Well Denver offered him $10 mil per and he turned it down. Take it for what its worth

Reasonably optimistic after reading some more in-depth reviews of the trade. It sounds like they got a handful of guys with real promise and potential that either got squeezed out of the rotation due to depth and/or some injuries.

At the very least, these last 30 games should be a good test drive for both the Wolves and some of these players to showcase what they have and see if they fit with what the Wolves want to do.

Top Bottom