All Things 2014 Gophers Volleyball Season Thread

Squad playing well tonight. Up 2 sets and leading in the 3rd. Good to see.

Wow the momentum sure took a turn during the match, Gophers lose the final three sets. Disappointing season so far for sure.

Go Gophers!!

The inconsistency of this team shows up again tonight losing in 5 after leading 2-0 against Nebraska. Hopefully this team can find a way to make the tournament but this season so far is the lowest I can remember this program being in a while.

McCuthceon sounded a bit perplexed yesterday when BTN interviewed him after the second set. It was pretty obvious he doesn't like the way this team has been performing. Undoubtedly, this is the weakest Minnesota team in a long time. Haven't had a quality win since last season and when they've faced a ranked team this season, they've barely been competitive.

They lost a lot from last year and have not been able to replace them. When you lose your setter, your best athlete, and a middle blocker who made the US National Team this year, it has the makings for a long year. We're just not as good as last year.

Is it too early to wonder if perhaps Laura Bush should have succeeded Hebert?

Is it too early to wonder if perhaps Laura Bush should have succeeded Hebert?
I don't know but I have seen and heard more people questioning whether Hugh is the right coach for this program and have seen some wanting him gone already and others saying give him 1 more year and then evaluate it.

Gophers lose 3-1 at Indiana I think Hugh's seat may at least be starting to get warm with a NCAA tournament bid this year in serious doubt.

Gophers lose 3-1 at Indiana I think Hugh's seat may at least be starting to get warm with a NCAA tournament bid this year in serious doubt.

Hugh's seat is fine. He knew that this year and next would be tough. Things will turn around.

He hasn't had the best incoming classes to work with and it is showing.

The man knows how to coach. What he needs to learn is how to recruit. And, there are some indications he is figuring it out.

I don't know but I have seen and heard more people questioning whether Hugh is the right coach for this program and have seen some wanting him gone already and others saying give him 1 more year and then evaluate it.

Let's see, two years as head coach and an elite and sweet sixteen appearance. Third year and his best two players from the past years are gone to graduation and things are tough because those before him didn't recruit well and it is his fault?

Those who want him gone are in the serious minority.

Let's see, two years as head coach and an elite and sweet sixteen appearance. Third year and his best two players from the past years are gone to graduation and things are tough because those before him didn't recruit well and it is his fault?

Those who want him gone are in the serious minority.

He'll get more time. This isn't a money sport and no one can argue he can coach. His credentials are impeccable. The question is whether he can recruit well enough and figure out how to beat Nebraska and Penn St. Jury is still out on those.

They make a ton of unforced errors the times I've watched them. Either there youth, or lack of concentration.

Looks like we now can add Wisconsin to that list.

This year. Wisconsin is having a great year, but they've been a middling team the past 5 or 6 years. Volleyball seems to be one of those sports where the right freshmen can turn a team into something right away. So, as with most collegiate sports, it will come down to recruiting. Our team has been so disappointing this year I haven't even watched them once. Taped them a few times, but who wants to see us lose 3-0 to Michigan St?

Wasn't Wisconsin the national runner-up last season? Looking like they're here to stay while the Gophers have dropped off a cliff.

Wasn't Wisconsin the national runner-up last season? Looking like they're here to stay while the Gophers have dropped off a cliff.

I'll trust you on that one. I quit paying attention once we lost.

I want to comment about the NCAA selections for the volleyball tournament. And it's not that the Gophers didn't make it.

We host a regional final and did not get a Big Ten team in our region. Our top seeds are Texas and North Carolina, while in the Louisville region, they got both the no. 4 seed Wisconsin and the no. 5 seed Penn State. What have we done to piss off the NCAA?

Not really surprising that the Gophers had their string of NCAA Tournament appearances snapped. Were a crummy team from start to finish and a major disappointment on all fronts this season.

Maybe it will do the team some good to have to watch other teams play on their home court after failing to even make the field.

Laura Bush leaving the V ball program? Any truth to that rumor?

Yes, Laura Bush left the program. I believe they just hired her replacement.

Top Bottom