All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

I e-mailed Jeff Goodman regarding Justin Martin. He told me he spoke to Justin a few days ago and Justin said he didn't have a list of schools yet. Jeff said he was going to check again.

I wouldn't bank on Martin being a realistic option at this point, but you never know! Hopefully the Gopher staff can get him on a visit or something.

I think he tweeted something like "no one is getting an inside scoop" recently. I wonder if there will even be any info before he makes a commitment. Still holding out some hope.

It appears Minnesota never went after Martin from Xavier after he graduated, but he committed to SMU today. That team is going to be damn good next year

It appears Minnesota never went after Martin from Xavier after he graduated, but he committed to SMU today. That team is going to be damn good next year

Yeah, this was a strange one as several people were convinced Martin was coming to Minnesota. I would have taken a totally different approach to filling scholarships this Spring then Coach Pitino did, but it's not my job that's on the line. Hopefully, Carlos Morris does have a lil Dre like impact and we don't have any foul trouble (much less injuries) among our 5 guys that can play 1-3.

Yeah, this was a strange one as several people were convinced Martin was coming to Minnesota. I would have taken a totally different approach to filling scholarships this Spring then Coach Pitino did, but it's not my job that's on the line. Hopefully, Carlos Morris does have a lil Dre like impact and we don't have any foul trouble (much less injuries) among our 5 guys that can play 1-3.

Same. We have Deandre, Andre, Mason, Mcneil, and Morris rotating between 3 positions. If we go with the current roster, we will probably see King and Buggs at the three playing some zone D.

Anyone see the tattoo Josh "Hulk" Martin got on his left arm?? It's one that won't be unnoticed when he's on the court. Takes up basically his whole left arm above the elbow.

I think we can calm down a little bit on the perimeter depth. Obviously, it would be nice to have another solid option on the wing, but do we think Coach Pitino will only play 4 guys if we get into foul trouble? It's not ideal, but Buggs and King (and possibly Martin) will be able to fill in at the "3" in a pinch. I wouldn't be surprised to see one (or more) of them get spot minutes at the "3" early in the season to make sure we're prepared for that possibility. I'd rather have an athletic big with serious potential than the next Maverick-type.

I'm not as worried about the wing depth because I think Buggs would be a more natural fit at the 3 than the 4, even though Pitino considers Buggs a 4.

Mathieu, Mason, Shell
Hollins, McNeil, [Lofton]
Morris, McNeil, Buggs
King, Martin, Buggs, Diedhiou
Mo, EE, Konate

That's a decent depth chart/rotation.

I'm not as worried about the wing depth because I think Buggs would be a more natural fit at the 3 than the 4, even though Pitino considers Buggs a 4.

Mathieu, Mason, Shell
Morris, McNeil, Buggs
Mo, EE, Konate

Agreed. Although I'd replace [Lofton] with Mason (for this coming season). I think his scoring will get him a few minutes at the "2". Definitely excited about Lofton for 2015-16, though!

Agreed. Although I'd replace [Lofton] with Mason (for this coming season). I think his scoring will get him a few minutes at the "2". Definitely excited about Lofton for 2015-16, though!

Yeah I put brackets around Lofton because he's not available.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mathieu, Mason, Shell
Morris, McNeil, Buggs
Mo, EE, Konate

We'll have to play some zone if Buggs/King get some time at the three.

The 2-3 was our main D last year so I don't see that as an issue, do you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The way to game plan the Gophers is to force Dre to defend your most aggressive offensive player. Get him to expend as much energy as possible on the defensive end and/or get in foul trouble. With Dre on the bench, our depth starts to evaporate. Buggs at the 3 is definitely the wild card. I was a big fan of Buggs going into last season, but when half the guys on the board notice he's lost out on the floor, it's a pretty strong sign he's playing at the wrong level. I don't believe Coach P. and staff are done recruiting for 2014/2015.

If we get into foul trouble I'd rather play with 4 guys than put Joey King or Charles Bugg's at the 3... They both lack lateral quickness or the ability to understand the game enough to play the 3.

I think you'll see 5 to 10 minutes a game when Morris needs a breather where we are playing with 4 guys on the court.

I'm dead serious too......

If we get into foul trouble I'd rather play with 4 guys than put Joey King or Charles Bugg's at the 3... They both lack lateral quickness or the ability to understand the game enough to play the 3.

I think you'll see 5 to 10 minutes a game when Morris needs a breather where we are playing with 4 guys on the court.

I'm dead serious too......

Thats why you have to play zone with them at the 3. Offensively they can stretch the floor. But I agree that they lack the lateral movement defense to play man.

Thats why you have to play zone with them at the 3. Offensively they can stretch the floor. But I agree that they lack the lateral movement defense to play man.

I was not serious at all.... Poking fun at the ridiculous arguments of how screwed we are because we have "5 guys to play 3 positions"....

We've got 12 to play 5 positions guys.....

The way to game plan the Gophers is to force Dre to defend your most aggressive offensive player. Get him to expend as much energy as possible on the defensive end and/or get in foul trouble. With Dre on the bench, our depth starts to evaporate. Buggs at the 3 is definitely the wild card. I was a big fan of Buggs going into last season, but when half the guys on the board notice he's lost out on the floor, it's a pretty strong sign he's playing at the wrong level. I don't believe Coach P. and staff are done recruiting for 2014/2015.
Not sure how the opposition can "force" Dre to guard any one player. Obviously you can't put him on someone a lot taller to avoid getting posted up , but Pitino can dictate who he wants Dre to defend when playing man defense.

Not sure how the opposition can "force" Dre to guard any one player. Obviously you can't put him on someone a lot taller to avoid getting posted up , but Pitino can dictate who he wants Dre to defend when playing man defense.

Was wondering the same thing... Will have to ask coach howie.

If Morris has to miss some games then we are screwed. Most teams end up short in one positioning or another, either entering the season or after injury, suspension or transfer.

I think screwed is quite the term to throw around. We have no clue at this point how Pitino would handle the rotation or how well Buggs/Martin/King can adapt to the 3 position in a pinch.

Was wondering the same thing... Will have to ask coach howie.

I think screwed is quite the term to throw around. We have no clue at this point how Pitino would handle the rotation or how well Buggs/Martin/King can adapt to the 3 position in a pinch.

I don't think it would be a good move to allow Martin's strength/athleticism/tenacity to be wasted on the perimeter. I know he said in an interview he would like to develop perimeter skils, but he also said he would do anything that was asked of him. If I were the coach(I'd do it for free lol) He'd be in the paint 100% of the time.

We have no clue at this point how Pitino would handle the rotation or how well Buggs/Martin/King can adapt to the 3 position in a pinch.

We have some understanding of how well King and Buggs could adapt to the 3 position from last season.

I don't think it would be a good move to allow Martin's strength/athleticism/tenacity to be wasted on the perimeter. I know he said in an interview he would like to develop perimeter skils, but he also said he would do anything that was asked of him. If I were the coach(I'd do it for free lol) He'd be in the paint 100% of the time.

Watching Martin's Highlight reels gives me no pause to think he would be wasted at the 3 if needed. His highlights show his athleticism almost exclusively, not his posting ability. I know he put up other world type numbers in the rebound column that would suggest he is a beast in the post, and I'm not refuting that. I just think given what we have from a roster standpoint, he could fill in just as well as a Buggs or a Joey King could at the 3 if it comes down to it.

I would NOT put him in the paint 100% of the time, that would waste his "strength/athleticism/tenacity more than "putting him on the perimeter" would. Kid is going to be a mismatch, and a weapon if he can knockdown a jumper.

It was also somewhat sarcastic, borrowing it from your use of it. :)
gotcha
We have some understanding of how well King and Buggs could adapt to the 3 position from last season.
Agreed, but did they play the 3 last year? The main difference would be one is setting screens and the other is setting up for outside shots/slashing to the hoop.

Top Bottom