All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

I'd be happy to take Konate at this point. We'd have less to worry about in 2015 with Mo and EE graduating. Martin, Buggs, King, Gaston, Konate, and hopefully Illkainen would be a pretty solid front court, you'd think.
I hope so! Sounds pretty deep.

Also just heard Konate already knows where he is committing, he is just waiting to release his choice.

I'd be happy to take Konate at this point. We'd have less to worry about in 2015 with Mo and EE graduating. Martin, Buggs, King, Gaston, Konate, and hopefully Illkainen would be a pretty solid front court, you'd think.

I think I would be too, I just wish I knew exactly how good he is. I really like Manyang and getting Konate would probably eliminate our chances of getting him (unless Gaston is purely a 4). Risky passing on Konate if you don't know you'll get Manyang though, so I think we would have to take him if he wants to commit.

Also Jerry Meyer from 247 says we are done with Piper, if he can get his grades up to go to a D1 school it will be Washington.

That situation is too bad. He wanted to come here, we need a small forward, and he is a talented kid who would have fit Pitino's system.

Too lazy to dig through the thread. Does anyone know of a decent video of Bakary? The only one I saw on online is 45 seconds.

Konate, Diedhiou and Martin all fill the roles we are looking for...hope we have them all!

I think I would be too, I just wish I knew exactly how good he is. I really like Manyang and getting Konate would probably eliminate our chances of getting him (unless Gaston is purely a 4). Risky passing on Konate if you don't know you'll get Manyang though, so I think we would have to take him if he wants to commit.

I would assume and this is far down the road but if we get Konate and next year Big Al and Manyang want to come here, we will make room one way or the other.

I would assume and this is far down the road but if we get Konate and next year Big Al and Manyang want to come here, we will make room one way or the other.

Yeah I'd imagine we would take both, I just wonder if Manyang would want to come here if we have two centers already (that's if we play Gaston at center). Who knows.

Yeah I'd imagine we would take both, I just wonder if Manyang would want to come here if we have two centers already (that's if we play Gaston at center). Who knows.
Agreed but I gotta think Manyang thinks he's better, i look at it like this having Damion Johnson and Paul Carter didn't stop Royce, Rodney and Mbakwe from coming here.

From the sounds of it, Manyang is going to get some big time offers. I think it is silly to assume he's a sure thing, thus it would also be silly to turn down Konate with the assumption you'll get Manyang the following year. Additionally, if Manyang is as good as advertised, he'd come in and start over a redshirt freshman/sophomore Konate. So I don't think we have to worry about him being afraid of Konate being on the roster.

Diedhiou and Martin at the 4 and Konate at the 5 really gives us depth at our front court (assuming Konate signs and he doesn't redshirt).

However, our offense is going to look completely different next season if we fail to recruit a shooter. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. It will just be weird not seeing three to four guards simultaneously trying to make it rain like we did all last season.

I don't know where we are going to find a 3 who can shoot, but it should be our #1 priority. Yes, Austin wasn't exactly Steph Curry for us during BiG10 play, but during the NIT we saw what this team could look like with a reliable shooter at the 3.

If Konate does in fact sign with us, my offseason dream will come true if we can get another shooter. He doesn't even have to be a SF. If our incoming bigs can smoothly make the transition to the college level, we should be able to get away with a smaller back court.

I would be fine with:
5: Mo, EE, Konate
4: King, Martin, Diedhiou
3: Morris, (shooting guard)
2: Hollins, McNeil
1: Mathieu, Mason

I get that King isn't exactly a wall when it comes to playing the 4 against tough competition. But with that depth we are expecting, we should be able to play a 3 guard system.

Diedhiou and Martin at the 4 and Konate at the 5 really gives us depth at our front court (assuming Konate signs and he doesn't redshirt).

However, our offense is going to look completely different next season if we fail to recruit a shooter. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. It will just be weird not seeing three to four guards simultaneously trying to make it rain like we did all last season.

I don't know where we are going to find a 3 who can shoot, but it should be our #1 priority. Yes, Austin wasn't exactly Steph Curry for us during BiG10 play, but during the NIT we saw what this team could look like with a reliable shooter at the 3.

If Konate does in fact sign with us, my offseason dream will come true if we can get another shooter. He doesn't even have to be a SF. If our incoming bigs can smoothly make the transition to the college level, we should be able to get away with a smaller back court.

I would be fine with:
5: Mo, EE, Konate
4: King, Martin, Diedhiou
3: Morris, (shooting guard)
2: Hollins, McNeil
1: Mathieu, Mason

I get that King isn't exactly a wall when it comes to playing the 4 against tough competition. But with that depth we are expecting, we should be able to play a 3 guard system.

No Buggs?

Why do people think Gaston is a center? He is listed as a pf and we need pf help going into next year, isnt it possible that pitino doesn't think martin is enough at the position? Maybe he wants to move king to the 3 which is currently our most concerning position next year and it was obvouis he can't play the 4 in B1G on defense, I'm jist not sold that Gaston was brought in here as a center and then have pitino still go after konate when that is one of our stronger positions going into next year, I can't see him trying to have 2 centers waiting in the wings. I don't see signing konate and Gaston being an issue with getting manyang. It would also make sense to have konate waiting in the wings for a year and bring in a juco following year so we don't run into the issue where we lose all our centers at once again, balance it out.

Hoping we land konate and a transfer wing(hopefully martin) to round out this class

Sent from my LIFE PLAY using Tapatalk

I think it is silly to assume he's a sure thing, thus it would also be silly to turn down Konate with the assumption you'll get Manyang the following year.

Completely agree.

Additionally, if Manyang is as good as advertised, he'd come in and start over a redshirt freshman/sophomore Konate. So I don't think we have to worry about him being afraid of Konate being on the roster.

I'm sure he would be better, but Konate and Gaston could still reduce his playing time some. Hopefully he wouldn't be worried about it though.

Why do people think Gaston is a center? He is listed as a pf and we need pf help going into next year, isnt it possible that pitino doesn't think martin is enough at the position? Maybe he wants to move king to the 3 which is currently our most concerning position next year and it was obvouis he can't play the 4 in B1G on defense, I'm jist not sold that Gaston was brought in here as a center and then have pitino still go after konate when that is one of our stronger positions going into next year, I can't see him trying to have 2 centers waiting in the wings. I don't see signing konate and Gaston being an issue with getting manyang. It would also make sense to have konate waiting in the wings for a year and bring in a juco following year so we don't run into the issue where we lose all our centers at once again, balance it out.

Hoping we land konate and a transfer wing(hopefully martin) to round out this class

From what I have read, most people understand he will play the 4. Which is perfect for us. All we have is King right now, along with the freshman Martin. While I expect the transition to be fairly easy for Martin, I think it was a priority for us to recruit another 4-- especially one who is strong and can play D..

Konate signing should rule us out of the Manyang running. Which I am also fine with.

Again, our main priority should be getting another shooter. I hope its Xavier's Martin, but I won't hold my breath.

Does anyone know of any other rumblings regarding a shooter (outside Martin and Lofton). I know there was talk of that 6'5 guard who isn't very athletic but has the ability to shoot--however, I don't see him as being a savior for this team. We need someone who can really step up and fill Austin's shoes

If we get Martin and Konate, this really will be a hell of a class considering none of the guys (other than Ju. Martin) were 4-star recruits. Mason, Morris, Martin, Martin, Gaston, and Konate is a whole lot of talent coming into the program considering the only real contributor we are losing is Austin.

PG-Mathieu, Dre, Mason, Shell
SG-Dre, McNeil, Mason
SF-Martin, Morris, Buggs
PF-King, Martin, Buggs, Gaston
C-Mo, EE, Konate

I really, really, really like that team.

We haven't seen Gaston play yet, so we don't know for sure what position he will be playing. Being listed as a PF doesn't mean much. I would guess he will play PF next season and possibly move to center the year after. We NEED two centers after next season, so having both Gaston and Konate play there after this year would make perfect sense unless we get commitments from more guys who can play there. Gaston is plenty big/long enough to play the 5 and Pitino would probably idealy like a better shooter at the 4 (assuming Gaston isn't a shooter, but maybe he is). After next season if we have both Martin and Illikainen on the roster and no other center besides Konate, which is very possible, I'd bet my life savings (not saying much) that Gaston would play the 5 and I bet Pitino would be happy with that.

From what I have read, most people understand he will play the 4. Which is perfect for us. All we have is King right now, along with the freshman Martin. While I expect the transition to be fairly easy for Martin, I think it was a priority for us to recruit another 4-- especially one who is strong and can play D..

Konate signing should rule us out of the Manyang running. Which I am also fine with.

Again, our main priority should be getting another shooter. I hope its Xavier's Martin, but I won't hold my breath.

Does anyone know of any other rumblings regarding a shooter (outside Martin and Lofton). I know there was talk of that 6'5 guard who isn't very athletic but has the ability to shoot--however, I don't see him as being a savior for this team. We need someone who can really step up and fill Austin's shoes

Why would konate rule out manyang? We lose 2 centers next year, by your logic no center would wanna sign here if konate signs. Also manyang is older, so he'd likely to get more minutes over a redshirt freshman, manyyang starting and konate off the bench is a perfect situation for us and them, and after 2 years konate is the main center mentoring another center

Why would konate rule out manyang? We lose 2 centers next year, by your logic no center would wanna sign here if konate signs. Also manyang is older, so he'd likely to get more minutes over a redshirt freshman, manyyang starting and konate off the bench is a perfect situation for us and them, and after 2 years konate is the main center mentoring another center

Maybe he thought Manyang is 2014.

I understand it is a reasonable proposition. I also understand we will need another center by this time next year. I just don't think we really have a chance to begin with--even if we ignore the Konate signing.

Other then the fact that Martin announced his desire to transfer, which prompted immediate interest on GopherHole, is there any evidence or rumors that we have a chance with Martin???

Yes. Pitino recruited him and got a commitment from him out of high school. That bodes well for us.

Top Bottom