All Things 2013-2014 Gopher Womens Season Thread

From what I saw in the tournament, I'll go with this evaluation. From the link you provided.

The highest-ranked player in the signing class is Wagner, a 5-foot-10 guard who has rewritten the record books at NRHEG and is a leading candidate for Minnesota's Miss Basketball and various other player of the year awards. Among the evaluations, espnW HoopGurlz gives Wagner a four-star rating and a grade of 95 and lists her 54th among its Top 100 players in the nation, including ninth among point guards.

Must say, considering she is such a scorer, Wagner sure seemed to be left open a lot. Won't be quite that easy in college.

Agreed.

She reminds me much more of Janet Karvonen than Rachael or Lindsey.

Hey, can we get a Lindsey Wagner out of that collection?:)

Lets just remember a year ago. Rebekah Dahlman a McDonald's All American was one of the best two seniors in he state and went to Vanderbilt where she was scoring over 11 ppg and was the top three point shooter in the SEC until she had blood clots ending her season. Wagner as a junior scored 50 points against her in terrific state final. Now who is to say Wagner will have the same impact as Dahlman but if she can come in and score 11 points per game which she is capable if the Gopher Women will be much better for it.

From what I saw in the tournament, I'll go with this evaluation. From the link you provided.

The highest-ranked player in the signing class is Wagner, a 5-foot-10 guard who has rewritten the record books at NRHEG and is a leading candidate for Minnesota's Miss Basketball and various other player of the year awards. Among the evaluations, espnW HoopGurlz gives Wagner a four-star rating and a grade of 95 and lists her 54th among its Top 100 players in the nation, including ninth among point guards.

Must say, considering she is such a scorer, Wagner sure seemed to be left open a lot.
Won't be quite that easy in college.

She is open a lot because she creates her own space. Have you seen her step back jumper?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> star Rachel Banham has to leave the game after suffering an apparent knee injury with her team up 50-34 with 15 mins left.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/447873351382728704">March 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gophers down to 6 players now with McDaniel not playing because of concussion symptoms.

She is open a lot because she creates her own space. Have you seen her step back jumper?

Gosh you're right. Thanks for pointing it out. I've also seen her standing in the corner with nobody near her.

Gophers survive 77-70. After Banham left SMU stormed back to cut it to 74-70.

Gophers play AT South Dakota State Thursday night. A place Borton has refused to play at in non-conference!

The game at SDSU's Frost Arena tips off at 7:00 p.m. Thursday.

SDSU beat Creighton today 62-51

One B1G team played in Frost this year: Penn State, ranked #12 at the time (12/11/13): SDSU 83, PSU 79

Some info on SDSU:

This will be the first time Minnesota has played at Frost Arena. The last meeting between the two schools was 12/9/08, SDSU 65, Minn. 55. The prior game, 1/14/07, SDSU 59, Minn 58, ended with some question about when time ran out.

SDSU and Minnesota had four common opponents this year (SDSU played one, Creighton, twice)

UNI:
UM 73, UNI 55 at Minneapolis
SDSU 80, UNI 44 at Brookings.

Creighton:
Creighton 63, UM 52 at Omaha
Creighton 68, SDSU 63 at Omaha
SDSU 62, Creighton 51 at Brookings (WNIT)

Penn State:
PSU 83, UM 53 at State College PA
SDSU 83, PSU 79 at Brookings

UW-GB:
UM 62, UW-GB 60 at Minneapolis (WNIT)
SDSU 66, UW-GB 54 at Green Bay

SDSU's roster is made up of six South Dakotans and eight Minnesotans. Our coach, AJ Johnston, is a Minnesota native.

The game at SDSU's Frost Arena tips off at 7:00 p.m. Thursday.

SDSU beat Creighton today 62-51

One B1G team played in Frost this year: Penn State, ranked #12 at the time (12/11/13): SDSU 83, PSU 79

Borton loses her final game to her replacement, as it was with Clem. Tubby lost to his replacement's mentor.

Borton loses her final game to her replacement, as it was with Clem. Tubby lost to his replacement's mentor.

So the Jackrabbits are between a rock and a hard place! We don't want to lose AJ but we want to beat the Gophers! I guess we'll take the win and the risk. Should be a good game. (Serious: Borton's record this season is too good to cut her loose, isn't it? I know she's not a fan favorite but ...she's winning ballgames.)

Perhaps the worst thing that will happen because of this matchup is lakesbison, the human virus, may surface on this message board. He is batcrap crazy in his hatred of SDSU.

So the Jackrabbits are between a rock and a hard place! We don't want to lose AJ but we want to beat the Gophers! I guess we'll take the win and the risk. Should be a good game. (Serious: Borton's record this season is too good to cut her loose, isn't it? I know she's not a fan favorite but ...she's winning ballgames.)

Good posts, Jack. Good luck either way. :)

Perhaps the worst thing that will happen because of this matchup is lakesbison, the human virus, may surface on this message board. He is batcrap crazy in his hatred of SDSU.

We're already familiar. Perhaps he's already been banned?

Yesterday's attendance was 587, which is crazy as fans were able to stay for free after the men's game.

Go Gophers!!

Yeah... that is crazy.

Not only crazy but telling about the apathy around the program. Brutal. I don't have time to follow the women's team closely, but I know people who do who gave up their season tickets years ago. A move needs to be made.

Yesterday's attendance was 587, which is crazy as fans were able to stay for free after the men's game.

Go Gophers!!

And I believe SDSU had over 2,000 for their last WNIT game.

As an SDSU alumnus...GO JACKS!!!

Go Gophers!!

I was at the men's game, but didn't stay for the women's game, so I can't comment specifically on the "crowd." However, I think the 587 figure must be the number of tickets they sold for the women's game as there would be no way to tell how many people who bought tickets for the first game stayed for the second. Although if they sold less than 600 tickets, maybe they had someone actually count the people in their seats. :)

I don't think he likes us anymore than you.

And I believe SDSU had over 2,000 for their last WNIT game.

As an SDSU alumnus...GO JACKS!!!

Was at the game - over 2100 and great atmosphere. The Gopher game could very well draw 5000 +. Jacks fans have been upset since Borton would not schedule them anymore , much less come to Brookings.

I was at the men's game, but didn't stay for the women's game, so I can't comment specifically on the "crowd." However, I think the 587 figure must be the number of tickets they sold for the women's game as there would be no way to tell how many people who bought tickets for the first game stayed for the second. Although if they sold less than 600 tickets, maybe they had someone actually count the people in their seats. :)

I wasn't able to stay for the women's game - it would have put my daughter past her bedtime. The attendance number only shows the number of tickets sold for the women's game, they did let people who attended the men's game stay for the women's game without buying a new ticket, so I suspect that actual attendance for the women's game was considerably higher.

I couldn't find attendance numbers for the men's game, but the lower deck was mostly full (except in the end by band) and the upper deck was about half full (again, except for the end by the band). I took my time in leaving to avoid fighting the crowd, and it that perhaps half of the people were staying for the women's game.

I don't think he likes us anymore than you.

I don't think we have to worry about Lakes commenting on a women's game. The closest thing he has come to mentioning women's basketball has been calling Nate Wolters Natalie for the last five years.

Was at the game - over 2100 and great atmosphere. The Gopher game could very well draw 5000 +. Jacks fans have been upset since Borton would not schedule them anymore , much less come to Brookings.

Goph's would almost always make room for SDSU @ UM. AJ refused to go there anymore until START a home/home at Brookings. This game will be a BIG DEAL in Brookings.

Goph's would almost always make room for SDSU @ UM. AJ refused to go there anymore until START a home/home at Brookings. This game will be a BIG DEAL in Brookings.

And rightly so. It'll be a much better atmosphere than could be cooked up at Williams.

I don't think we have to worry about Lakes commenting on a women's game. The closest thing he has come to mentioning women's basketball has been calling Nate Wolters Natalie for the last five years.

Works for me. Take care. I would say let the best team win, but I'll be cheering for the Gophers.

Just wanted to post some thoughts & a couple of questions. I know the program has been down for a while & having no bench is unheard of in this day, but Pam is winning games. What's her buyout after the extension know one knew about? Also, does anyone think that the Brenny case (women's golf coach gets 350k in a lawsuit against the U) may have an effect on NT's decision to keep or fire Borton? NT has taken a few hits as far as money goes, Tubby buyout, UNC buyout, and now this lawsuit(though this happened under Maturi) about a lesbian coach. Seems to me that all this may weigh on NT as he is also trying to raise money for the facilities. I'll hang up and listen to your answers!

Top Bottom