All Things 2012 Howard Pulley Summer Pro-Am Update Thread

scher215

Reaction score
I Know it starts next week, but have we seen a roster / schedule at all?

Check with Josh Pastner?

Edit: Games to usually be Mon-Thur, but starting this coming Tuesday. No weekend games this year are planned.

Josh Pastner? Memphis' coach? What does he have to with or know about Howard Pulley? Just curious...

Pastner is the "new era" clone of John Calipari, slippery when wet.

Greasy as h*ll, knows how to "play the game". Wouldn't trust him as far as I could spit.

I'm starting to think that Mo may never play for the gophers again..... Bummer

Definitely a long recovery time. Not getting a good vibe regarding Mo's (lack of) willingness to get into condition.

Mo hurt his ankle and was in a boot towards the end of last year. It may not be related to his knee.

Mo participated in the Tubby Smith Team Camp clinic yesterday afternoon. Trevor did not paticipate but looked to be in very good shape and moved around without any indication of a limp. Mo participated in the drills and also the brief scrimmage. Unless he has another setback, Mo appears to be on track to be full go before fall practice.

Mo participated in the Tubby Smith Team Camp clinic yesterday afternoon. Trevor did not paticipate but looked to be in very good shape and moved around without any indication of a limp. Mo participated in the drills and also the brief scrimmage. Unless he has another setback, Mo appears to be on track to be full go before fall practice.

Did you see them practice? How did Mo look?

I hope this is true. We're going to need him for depth this year.

I did watch Mo at the clinic. As you may remember Mo is not a speed demon on the court, but he moved around pretty well. One thing I did notice is that he doesn't appear to be jumping very high right now (I'm not sure his vertical jump was ever extremely high). Mo passess the ball very well and seems to see the floor well. Mo does have a decent jump shot which is deceivingly good for a guy his size. He is also very good at using his body to screen out defensive players both in rebounding and assisting teammates to get free for shots. As someone near me said, no one is going to push Mo off the blocks. Hopefully his return to good health will allow him to get into even better shape before practice starts in the fall. If Mo stays healthy and continues to improve his conditioning, I think he can really help the Gophers this fall.

I would also add that Charles Buggs is an intriguing athlete. He appeared to be about the same height as Oto (6-8). Charles runs the floor very well and does jump well. He has that young athletic body with what appear to be long arms. His shot looks reasonable, but it is difficult to evaluate in a short period of time. There is a bit of explosiveness to his game and he loves to dunk the basketball. It will be interesting to watch him during the Howard Pulley season.

Wally was not in attendance during the clinic as he was playing in the WI High School All Star game. As stated in the other thread, Wally was the leading scorer with 20 points.

Didn’t somebody say that Mo was going to be in Canada this summer? Another great piece of journalism in Minnesota? Making stuff up? Mo must have changed his mind and forgot to tell these guys!

Go Gophers

Didn’t somebody say that Mo was going to be in Canada this summer? Another great piece of journalism in Minnesota? Making stuff up? Mo must have changed his mind and forgot to tell these guys!

Mo was not listed on the Howard Pulley Summer League summary posted a few days ago so it is possible he will be elsewhere this summer.

So what is this like? I'm considering going some of the nights this year, but don't want to waste my time if it's a bunch of scrub, small school players, besides our guys. Is it worth going?

I went to the Nike EYBL at this place, a couple months ago, and that was a blast. Is it similar to that? Thanks.

2 pp links

shooter-now-tyus-jones-thumb-injury-wont-ruin
"Tyus Jones, the nationally recruited point guard from Apple Valley High School, injured a thumb during USA Basketball Under-17 tryouts in Colorado Springs, Colo., and will miss a couple of days. Jones, who will be a junior in the fall, still is expected to make the team that will compete in Spain and Lithuania this summer. "
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20882648/shooter-now-tyus-jones-thumb-injury-wont-ruin

gophers-players-on-howard-pulley-pro-am-league-rosters
http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...ayers-on-howard-pulley-pro-am-league-rosters/

So what is this like? I'm considering going some of the nights this year, but don't want to waste my time if it's a bunch of scrub, small school players, besides our guys. Is it worth going?

I went to the Nike EYBL at this place, a couple months ago, and that was a blast. Is it similar to that? Thanks.

There are some positives and some negatives with Howard Pulley from my perspective so I will group them accordingly:

Positives:

You have a mix if Gopher players mixed with college players from other schools and some recent graduates.
The seating is set up so you are no more than 4 rows off the floor so you are right next to the action.
The admission is free.
It is a fun opportunity to see the Gophers in action especially the new players Wally Ellenson and Charles Buggs.
There are several players that play over seas that participate (Dan Coleman as an example).
There are a few NBA players that show up from time to time (Beasley played one game last year).
The top Howard Pulley AAU Team plays in the league so you get the opportunity to see players like Tyus Jones and possibly Kyle Washington compete against college talent.

Negatives:

The rosters are quite fluid. You never know who will show up.
The Gophers attendance can be hit or miss due to school or workout commitments.
There is very little defense played until the playoffs.
There is a lot of one on one isolation basketball.

I would not compare it at all to the EYBL. There are two games a night and only one court is used.

It is definately worth the trip, but be aware that there are no guarantees that the players you expect to see will be there.

I love Pulley, and am planning to be there tonight. Like usual, I'll probably have a big breakdown, and then less and less of a breakdown for each subsequent time I go.

There are some positives and some negatives with Howard Pulley from my perspective so I will group them accordingly:

Positives:

You have a mix if Gopher players mixed with college players from other schools and some recent graduates.
The seating is set up so you are no more than 4 rows off the floor so you are right next to the action.
The admission is free.
It is a fun opportunity to see the Gophers in action especially the new players Wally Ellenson and Charles Buggs.
There are several players that play over seas that participate (Dan Coleman as an example).
There are a few NBA players that show up from time to time (Beasley played one game last year).
The top Howard Pulley AAU Team plays in the league so you get the opportunity to see players like Tyus Jones and possibly Kyle Washington compete against college talent.

Negatives:

The rosters are quite fluid. You never know who will show up.
The Gophers attendance can be hit or miss due to school or workout commitments.
There is very little defense played until the playoffs.
There is a lot of one on one isolation basketball.

I would not compare it at all to the EYBL. There are two games a night and only one court is used.

It is definately worth the trip, but be aware that there are no guarantees that the players you expect to see will be there.

Thank you!! I'll definetly chack it out.

I will be attending one game Friday, haven't seen any review of tonight, but did see these tweets on it:

@RyanJamesMN: Julian Welch looks thinner and in great condition. Game starting now.

@RyanJamesMN: Phone died at Pro City. Julian Welch had 23pts, 7rbs, 5asts. Chris Halvorsen 9pts, 6rbs. Wally Ellenson 9pts 5rbs.

@RyanJamesMN: "Julian Welch opens Pro City League with 23 points, 7 assists" @MinnesotaRivals http://t.co/D6Z0xbvd Article on Pro City Game One

@GophersNow: Maybe but too early to judge. RT @GagTjgag1 Based on watch Ellenson for one game tonight, he's got a long way to go, especially on defense.

Wally Ellenson, Julian Welch, Chris Halverson, Andre Hollins and Kendal Shell played Tuesday night.

Wally Ellenson, Julian Welch, Chris Halverson, Andre Hollins and Kendal Shell played Tuesday night.

Chris- Saw you interviewed Jacob Thomas, what's his plan next year? Back to Howard?

FWIW- Wally played better than I would expect for his first game in HP. Stronger too. Chris H. needs to hit the bench more so this kid can get some playing time.

Julian looked great, like a senior B1G garud should in HP.

From my perspective, Wally missed a large amount of dunks. But it was just his 1st game. Welch looked good. Halvorsen, I didn't pay much attention too. Hollins looked impressive for the most part, didn't sit on the bench at all. He was kind of streaky at times though. Had a lot of shots roll in and out or bounce around/off the rim in the 1st half.

Did anyone stay for the 2nd game, and be able to tell me who #22 on 123print.com (the white team) was? He looked so familiar, but I couldn't put a name to the face.

As for me, it was my first time going to this and I enjoyed it. The Basketball itself was just average, with both games being blowouts, but meeting some of the players was cool. I had them sign a picture of the logo, which I'm trying to get the whole team on. Andre Hollins got a couple drops of sweat on it, while signing it, and smeared it a bit, but it's all good. Haha It was also pretty cool to meet Troy Bell. I got a picture with him and talked to him a bit. He said that he would sign some cards for me next time I go and he is playing.

I'm planning on attending again tonight.

@NSandell: Joe Coleman led with 28 points in Howard Pulley League tonight. Rodney Williams scored 22. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom