All Hail Limegrover

AEmerson40

Reaction score
At least for this week. I don't think I've ever seen a better called game or offensive gameplan (in my twenties, so that's not saying terribly much). Nebraska had no idea what hit them. Where did this come from and where has it been for the past three years?

The jet sweep, the shifts, the perfectly timed play actions, the fake wildcat, it goes on and on! All hail Limegrover.

Its almost like a group of people got together and physically pulled his head out of his ass and he saw the light and decided to plan and coach.

At least for this week. I don't think I've ever seen a better called game or offensive gameplan (in my twenties, so that's not saying terribly much). Nebraska had no idea what hit them. Where did this come from and where has it been for the past three years?

The jet sweep, the shifts, the perfectly timed play actions, the fake wildcat, it goes on and on! All hail Limegrover.

It was absolute genius.

It's almost like he's a professional offensive coordinator and knows more about creating game plans than a bunch of guys in a chat room...

I'm at a total loss to explain this brilliant offensive game plan. I'd have thought if the team could execute this type of scheme that well, that it would have been employed at least by the Iowa game. Better late than never, and the last 6 quarters of Limegrover play calling, along with the confidence and competitive fire of the young Phillip Nelson (and Leidner, as needed), have me excited, again, for Gopher football.

This is *EXACTLY* what NIU used to look like under Kill. Limegrover seemed to only get up for big games & NIU was able to keep more athletically gifted teams on their heels... why he doesn't do this more who knows but Nebraska looked confused the entire game...

The shifts were huge! I remember reading some Husker bloggers' comments about how Nebraska defense has had problems with shifting and audibles this year. He was confident that it wasn't going to matter cause the Gophers O hadn't used shifts much before today's game. Ooops!

It's almost like he's a professional offensive coordinator and knows more about creating game plans than a bunch of guys in a chat room...

People asked him to do a better job and he did it...

This is such a stupid comment. If you watched any of the past games you would know what the complaints were about. The creative play calling today just justified them.

This is *EXACTLY* what NIU used to look like under Kill. Limegrover seemed to only get up for big games & NIU was able to keep more athletically gifted teams on their heels... why he doesn't do this more who knows but Nebraska looked confused the entire game...

This is what I said in chat.... We looked like NIU today. Ugh, that hurts to say.

Until today, no one would have known this fact based on his past offensive play calling.

This is such a stupid comment. If you watched any of the past games you would know what the complaints were about. The creative play calling today just justified them.

You're right. He went from bad offensive coordinator to good. He completely changed who he was, and the player's execution had nothing to do with it.

You're right. He went from bad offensive coordinator to good. He completely changed who he was, and the player's execution had nothing to do with it.

The play calling difference was night and day. It didn't even take a football fan to recognize that.

I posted this in the post game thread, but I think Coach Kill up in the booth with Limegrover is at least a part of the difference. When he is coaching on the sidelines, he doesn't really have time for input on play calls. I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR COACH KILL TO COACH FROM THE BOX. I just think that today and last week, he probably had more input with play calling and the results were positive.

This is what I said in chat.... We looked like NIU today. Ugh, that hurts to say.

That's what I didn't understand about Limegrover...

NIU had a very creative Offense that kept Defenses on their toes & today is the first day I've seen that from Minnesota...

Today's sets and shifts, etc looked like the bowl game. The IA game plan was poor, other than that the coaches have done a good job with the game plan - Limegrover included.

Last week had some creativity as well. The difference today was we executed them (and didn't get screwed by the refs). I give him credit for the game plan today, but the main part of the game plan was still the same. Run the ball, safe play action plays, take care of the ball, and control the clock.

When things work, the coach looks like a genius. When it doesn't work, he looks like he doesn't know what he is doing.

LOL - So you are saying he finally started listening to you? Now that is a stupid comment! A fart from Limegrover contains more knowledge about offensive football than is contained in your total brain. But keep on believing that you understand how to build a program better than the staff does.:rolleyes: If you really did you might have noticed how the offense has been evolving this year. It is amazing how execution makes the coaches look so much better.

I posted this in the post game thread, but I think Coach Kill up in the booth with Limegrover is at least a part of the difference. When he is coaching on the sidelines, he doesn't really have time for input on play calls. I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR COACH KILL TO COACH FROM THE BOX. I just think that today and last week, he probably had more input with play calling and the results were positive.

If this is what it takes (and I have no idea if this was part of the problem), then by all means keep Coach Kill up in the box.

Limegrover said after the game that after the Iowa game they did a lot of soul searching. Another thing is that this team is very young on offense. They said from the beginning that there would be no short cuts. Master the basics before opening up the play book. Maybe the young guys are starting to "get" it and he feels more comfortable opening it up. It's easy to overlook how young our skill position players are in regards to division 1 games played. Nelson, Leidner, Cobb, Maye, Wolitarsky, Jones, Williams, Fruetche, Plesk, Harbison, Ro. Williams, etc. Good things ahead.

They said from the beginning that there would be no short cuts. Master the basics before opening up the play book. Maybe the young guys are starting to "get" it and he feels more comfortable opening it up.

Ding, ding.

It's a chicken/egg thing (by the way, the chicken came first). The players need to prove they can execute in a manner that allows a coach to do what Limey did today.

What's Coach Kill's saying? I hear what your saying, but I trust what you do. Or something like that. The offense is now deserving more trust.

Limegrover said after the game that after the Iowa game they did a lot of soul searching. Another thing is that this team is very young on offense. They said from the beginning that there would be no short cuts. Master the basics before opening up the play book.

We'll all be happy if the staff agrees that the basics have been mastered. From this point on, no more "basic" offense except against pre-season cupcakes.

Loved the shifts and the jet sweeps. Took a page right out of Wisconsin's gameplan. I remember watching them play Nebraska last year and noticed how much they shifted. Apparently Papuchis likes to create the best matchup pre-snap and the shifts help to mitigate that.

iv been ripping limegrover since he got here.... but is he on some kind of leash when it comes to calling plays because when kill is there the play calling is way to conservative but the the last two games hes aired it out a a little more and been creative. if he would have called a game like he did against iowa we would have been beat again because the iowa game was the polar opposite of this one

Once they started completing a few passes, it's amazing how that running game can open-up huh? 2 or 3 less drops and hitting an open receiver or two could make the rest of the season a WHOLE lot of fun!

That's what I didn't understand about Limegrover...

NIU had a very creative Offense that kept Defenses on their toes & today is the first day I've seen that from Minnesota...

My hope is that they consider that to be a more nuanced point to the offense, and they are finally comfortable in running it with our players. This is what I expected with the offense when Kill took over. And finally, we are here. Here's hoping it continues.

Ding, ding.

It's a chicken/egg thing (by the way, the chicken came first). The players need to prove they can execute in a manner that allows a coach to do what Limey did today.

What's Coach Kill's saying? I hear what your saying, but I trust what you do. Or something like that. The offense is now deserving more trust.

Biological disagreement: the egg came first. Meme agreement: the team came first.

I appreciate the young offense issue, lord knows I've screamed it enough...but being young and running head long into the line 40 times per game just isn't OK (with me).

Being young and running the offense and understanding that mistakes will be made and we will learn from them is, to me, a better option. We didn't run our offense at any point this year until we got embarrassed in our first two big ten games.

Maybe if we had been running our offense in the OC games, we would have been prepared for IA and MI instead of looking like mopes. Look at how much better we ran it today after running it last week...and I expect we will continue to get better as the year goes one. Now imagine if we had been running for the past 8 weeks instead of the past 2.

Limegrover and Kill need to start operating with some urgency every week IMO.

Top Bottom