All-Big Ten

Hold up ... there's players on the wrong team here ...

He goes to Michigan State

There are several honorable mentions that say Michigan ... and those guys play for Michigan State too ...
There's also one place where Northwestern has a typo and reads "Northwrstern". This graphic was clearly not proof read.

Gophers #2 in Big Ten and #4 nationally in total defense. Here's how the schools were represented in the 3 deep. 🤷‍♂️

Michigan - 7
Ohio St - 4
Iowa - 4
Wisconsin - 3
Penn St - 3
Michigan St - 2
Northwestern - 2
Nebraska - 2
Purdue - 1
Rutgers - 1
Illinois - 1
Indiana - 1
Minnesota - 1
If you have the 4th best guy in the conference at his position at every position you should get no all conference guys but have one of the best defenses.

Gophers #2 in Big Ten and #4 nationally in total defense. Here's how the schools were represented in the 3 deep. 🤷‍♂️

Michigan - 7
Ohio St - 4
Iowa - 4
Wisconsin - 3
Penn St - 3
Michigan St - 2
Northwestern - 2
Nebraska - 2
Purdue - 1
Rutgers - 1
Illinois - 1
Indiana - 1
Minnesota - 1
Either:
  • Joe Rossi is a genius
  • Minnesota doesn't have any stars, but also NO below-average players on D
  • The coaches and media don't dig very deeply on these selections.

Yes.
No.
Yes.
I think 2 is true.

the gophers don’t have any stars.
I like Durr, but I would take walley over durr next year:
I like mafe but he is a good not great player.
I like the linebackers but I don’t think they are top 6 at their position in the conference

Many offenses in Big Ten were bad, so hard to tell. Gophers were 11th Nationally in points and 4th in yards given up. Unfortunately other Big Ten defenses were as good to better. We also didn’t produce a ton of turnovers. Losses to BG and Illinois hurt perception as well.
We gave up 14 points to both BG and Illinois. Yes we lost, but it wasn't because the defense was poor.

We gave up 14 points to both BG and Illinois. Yes we lost, but it wasn't because the defense was poor.
All conference honors isn’t a team award or even a unit award though.

The criteria to be all conference isn’t be a starter on a good defense. It is be the best at your position in the conference.

Illinois had a nice defense, actually, save for a few games. And they didn't get anyone on the media top three teams.

Is what it is.

The Gophers need more sacks, TFLs, and interceptions. Those are the things the voters look for (right or wrong). Mafe made the 2nd all-Big Ten team because he had decent sack numbers. But, he wasn't the Gophers best defensive player this year. He was good, but was not our best defensive player, but he led us in sacks and TFLs.

Gibbens had a stellar year, but the Big Ten is full of great LBs. There are LBs from other teams with more tackles than Gibbens who are not in the top 9, either. Gibbens was 18th in the Big Ten in tackles and had no sacks.

Last edited:

Ya. That was my thought too. It feels off.
It does feel off but then when you think about it.....there really aren't a lot of individual stars on our defense at all....Just a good solid collection of players who work well together and make plays. That actually makes what the unit did as a whole even more impressive.

If you have the 4th best guy in the conference at his position at every position you should get no all conference guys but have one of the best defenses.
I use that strategy in fantasy sports all the time. I want to make sure my team is in the top half of the league in every category. Not that worried about winning any individual category as long as my production across the board is near the top of the league.

Pretty much guarantees a good team that will almost certainly make the league playoffs.

Gibbens should have 100% been on one of the All-Big Ten teams. Durr, Nubin, Pickney, and MSM should have been recognized as well. Number two defense in the Big Ten and only one player made it on their award list. POS list, imo.

Gibbens should have 100% been on one of the All-Big Ten teams. Durr, Nubin, Pickney, and MSM should have been recognized as well. Number two defense in the Big Ten and only one player made it on their award list. POS list, imo.

MSM, Nubin, Esezi, and Gibbens were all honorable mention.

Either:
  • Joe Rossi is a genius
  • Minnesota doesn't have any stars, but also NO below-average players on D
  • The coaches and media don't dig very deeply on these selections.
Probably a little bit of all of the above.

Looking at the Coaches defensive selections it's a miracle that Penn State (7 guys) was yet again a losing Big Ten team and Minnesota and Wisconsin (3 total guys, none 1st team) had the best defenses in the conference by a good margin.

James Franklin is the Graham Mertz of coaches.

1638315775825.png
Bulletin board material. Keeps the crack on the shoulder firmly in place...

Gophers played good team defense. Shout out to Rossi. Successful with only one all-big ten player. Give him more money
Not actually true. Gibbens was All Big Ten by any objective standard.

There's also one place where Northwestern has a typo and reads "Northwrstern". This graphic was clearly not proof read.
B1G gets a bazillion dollars in TV and reasearch monies .... can't proofread ...

Michigan - 7
Ohio St - 4
Iowa - 4
Wisconsin - 3
Penn St - 3
Michigan St - 2
Northwestern - 2
Nebraska - 2
Purdue - 1
Rutgers - 1
Illinois - 1
Indiana - 1
Minnesota - 1
This seems like disrespect, but I honestly didn't watch enough of everyone else to have a strong feeling here. Mafe was an absolute monster at times, but maybe wasn't as consistent as others. Gibbens was a huge addition for us, but maybe didn't have the big plays of some other LB's. Maybe the Gophers were just solid everywhere and didn't have the weak spots of some of the other teams on the defensive side of the ball? I love Durr and was very happy he came back, but it doesn't surprise me that he wasn't one of the 6 best CB's in the conference this year either.

Top Bottom