Alcohol sponsorships

When was this? The Zion curtain is down. And because a few places have dumb rules doesn’t change the over arching laws
I was at Zion National Park a couple years ago and it was really difficult to find alcohol when I was passing through Utah. Sounds like their laws changed in 2019 to allow higher % but up til then 4% was the limit for grocery and convenience stores. There was also some sort of max % at the bar we ate at (I forget what it was), but maybe those laws have changed too.

It's not hard to find alcohol in Minnesota. Target, Cub, Hyvee, Costco, and Sam's Club all have full liquor stores now. The 3.2% rule is a bit of a moot point these days.

Last edited:

I was at Zion National Park a couple years ago and it was really difficult to find alcohol when I was passing through Utah. Sounds like their laws changed in 2019 to allow higher % but up til then 4% was the limit for grocery and convenience stores. There was also some sort of max % at the bar we ate at (I forget what it was), but maybe those laws have changed too.

It's not hard to find alcohol in Minnesota. Target, Cub, Hyvee, Costco, and Sam's Club all have full liquor stores now. The 3.2% rule is a bit of a moot point these days.

I get what you’re saying but their laws are more lax than Minnesota’s. There is also less demand due to religion. So less stores. But they have laws in place that allow breweries to operate like a normal business. Minnesota does not.

It's not hard to find alcohol in Minnesota. Target, Cub, Hyvee, Costco, and Sam's Club all have full liquor stores now.
Aside:
I thought I read somewhere that state law does not allow membership requirements for off-sale, so in fact you can legally demand to buy from their liquor store without a membership.

Aside:
I thought I read somewhere that state law does not allow membership requirements for off-sale, so in fact you can legally demand to buy from their liquor store without a membership.

They don’t fight you on it.Just walk into Costco liquor and you can buy what you want. Don’t have to demand anything. They encourage it.

Here’s a cool state law:
You cannot own two liquor stores in the same city. Unless you ARE the city.

Also, many cities don’t allow liquor stores that are not municipalities. Eden Prairie for example.

You cannot operate two taprooms in the state. So breweries are putting taprooms in neighboring states instead. Nothing like drinking Lupulin @ Lupulin in Sioux Falls. Stellar law to literally move places out of your state.

Aside:
That is correct. Anyone over 21 can buy at Costco or sam's. No membership required.

Here’s a cool state law:
You cannot own two liquor stores in the same city. Unless you ARE the city.

Also, many cities don’t allow liquor stores that are not municipalities. Eden Prairie for example.

You cannot operate two taprooms in the state. So breweries are putting taprooms in neighboring states instead. Nothing like drinking Lupulin @ Lupulin in Sioux Falls. Stellar law to literally move places out of your state.
Lupulin is delicious. As are many efforts from many craft breweries.

I even like going to a place where multiple different kinds from multiple different breweries can be ordered from the menu. What did we used to call those? Oh well, everything is a tap room now. :cool:

Lupulin is delicious. As are many efforts from many craft breweries.

I even like going to a place where multiple different kinds from multiple different breweries can be ordered from the menu. What did we used to call those? Oh well, everything is a tap room now. :cool:

There are still beer bars but its a difficult business model. Taprooms are high margin for the brewery because their costs are low per beer served. No packaging cost, no upcharge and less taxes. An owner of a local very popular brewery told me their cost on a pint of a basic IPA was ~$1.00 in the taproom. They sell it for $5. A 4 pack of 16oz cans of that same beer retails at most stores for $9.99

There are still beer bars but its a difficult business model. Taprooms are high margin for the brewery because their costs are low per beer served. No packaging cost, no upcharge and less taxes. An owner of a local very popular brewery told me their cost on a pint of a basic IPA was ~$1.00 in the taproom. They sell it for $5. A 4 pack of 16oz cans of that same beer retails at most stores for $9.99
I guess you're saying their profit on 4 pints is $16 in the tap room as opposed to $10-[4 pack costs]-[who knows what absurd costs from the legally mandated distributor middle man]-[other taxes, fees]-[liquor store upcharge] , or something like that?

Sounds like government is not the answer government is the problem. Less government is more? How will Ruesse know what to say & do? Know what is right from wrong?

I guess you're saying their profit on 4 pints is $16 in the tap room as opposed to $10-[4 pack costs]-[who knows what absurd costs from the legally mandated distributor middle man]-[other taxes, fees]-[liquor store upcharge] , or something like that?

This is correct

Sounds like government is not the answer government is the problem. Less government is more? How will Ruesse know what to say & do? Know what is right from wrong?
This issue sounds more like one business (liquor stores) being better at lobbying to have rules beneficial to their business.

Let's solve the problem of car dealers being closed on Sundays before we worry more about alcohol!

Let's solve the problem of car dealers being closed on Sundays before we worry more about alcohol!

I want to order my car online, screw a dealer.

And that last missed Field Goal was brought to you by Everclear. They know it's tough to be a Gopher fan!

It's the Hormel Row of I knew a guy once .... he wasn't .... blargh!!!! -drink-

I want to order my car online, screw a dealer.
I mostly agree. I want to be able to test drive, and I don't mind interacting with a salesman.

After that, the dealership offers no value to me. I don't want their financing, I don't want their aftermarket crap, and I don't want their parts & service dept.

Dealerships make way too much profit for what they provide. Which of course is why they exist.

Top Bottom