Alcohol sponsorships

Reaction score
University of Minnesota can enter into alcohol sponsorships, licensing — without Goldy Gopher

The athletic department is estimated to receive $300,000 per year, with a portion going to alcohol education and recovery programs. How will this affect Go Go Gophers? Fire water included?

How does the Gopher's sponsorship match up to the Badger's?
In 2009 they were making $425K a year which would be more than $500k today. I don't know if they have one now

Having lived in MN and WI and having been on both campuses it was obvious to me that in general MN had stricter rules about alcohol.
It must be the Scandinavian Lutheran effect.

Having lived in MN and WI and having been on both campuses it was obvious to me that in general MN had stricter rules about alcohol.
It must be the Scandinavian Lutheran effect.

Minnesota has some of the most archaic liquor laws in the country. The state is 20 years behind many and casually ruining livelihoods because they are unwilling to adapt to the 21st century. Its pathetic.

Minnesota has some of the most archaic liquor laws in the country. The state is 20 years behind many and casually ruining livelihoods because they are unwilling to adapt to the 21st century. Its pathetic.
I was surprise that while driving though Utah I could buy beer on Sunday at a gas station. Heck I should have checked for hookers.

I was surprise that while driving though Utah I could buy beer on Sunday at a gas station. Heck I should have checked for hookers.

Utah is much more progressive than Minnesota, sadly. They don’t require 3.2% anymore (only Minnesota does), breweries can sell beer for take away in bottles/cans (Minnesota cannot) and along with every other state besides Minnesota crowlers are 32oz, not 25.4 which is some stupid arbitrary blue law # that is yet to be repealed.

/rant

Remember people do not go into politics because they are capable of doing other things but enter politics because they can not. Answers a lot of questions about the status of Minnesota & the Twin Cities. Poor leadership!

Mostly a guess here, but how much of this is due to the distributors, who have so much control of the legal process?

No Goldy in beer ads??

Come on! We all know how much Goldy likes to shotgun a can of beer!

Mostly a guess here, but how much of this is due to the distributors, who have so much control of the legal process?

A lot. Three tier system is also a joke. Imagine an industry where you cannot sell what you make to customers at your store in certain formats. Even taprooms are a newer concept here. And then the insane growler laws

A lot. Three tier system is also a joke. Imagine an industry where you cannot sell what you make to customers at your store in certain formats. Even taprooms are a newer concept here. And then the insane growler laws
I think I posted this on the (other) OTB a while ago, but was very interested to learn that the "crowler" cans of beer (750ml or about 25oz) are only "legal" on technicality.

The (archaic) law says 64oz (growlers, as we know them) or 750mL bottles. And by the good graces of I believe the MN secretary of state, has allowed a 750mL aluminum can to be considered a "bottle". :)

I think I posted this on the (other) OTB a while ago, but was very interested to learn that the "crowler" cans of beer (750ml or about 25oz) are only "legal" on technicality.

The (archaic) law says 64oz (growlers, as we know them) or 750mL bottles. And by the good graces of I believe the MN secretary of state, has allowed a 750mL aluminum can to be considered a "bottle". :)
Crowlers are kind of a rip off most places anyway.

We need prohibition on campus again. You drunks at games are cancer upon society. It's embarrassing.

If we had any courage they would allow me to buy real beer at the gas station

We need prohibition on campus again. You drunks at games are cancer upon society. It's embarrassing.
Not sure if serious.

But I absolutely do have sympathy for families at the game who want a family friendly experience. I don't see why the U can't provide it all, big enough place.

Well they can’t sell cans or bottles in 6 packs like every other state so limited options.
Isn't it the liquor stores that are to blame for these laws? That's what the brewers I've talked to have said.

Utah is much more progressive than Minnesota, sadly. They don’t require 3.2% anymore (only Minnesota does), breweries can sell beer for take away in bottles/cans (Minnesota cannot) and along with every other state besides Minnesota crowlers are 32oz, not 25.4 which is some stupid arbitrary blue law # that is yet to be repealed.

/rant
I beg to differ. Had to order some olives just to get a beer. And literally could not find a place in Salt Lake City to watch a game with my teenage son. In fact, he wasn’t even allowed in the Marriott lounge. For breakfast.

I beg to differ. Had to order some olives just to get a beer. And literally could not find a place in Salt Lake City to watch a game with my teenage son. In fact, he wasn’t even allowed in the Marriott lounge. For breakfast.

When was this? The Zion curtain is down. And because a few places have dumb rules doesn’t change the over arching laws

Top Bottom