Alabama DT Gary Moore Commits to Gophers!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Southern Miss loses two big commits in WR Papi White (Ohio) and DT Gary Moore (Minnesota) after picking up 4 commitments Sunday.</p>— Cory Gunkel (@CoryGunkel) <a href="https://twitter.com/CoryGunkel/statuses/430456814946115584">February 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"He said he loved it up there," Cauley said. "(Former Murphy star K.J.) Maye is up there so I think it will help to have a familiar face around. He should be a good fit for them."

"Gary has a unique ability to find the football," he said. "It's almost second nature to him. He also obviously has great height and reach. He can stand in one place and cover a lot of ground."

Go Gophers!!

"He said he loved it up there," Cauley said. "(Former Murphy star K.J.) Maye is up there so I think it will help to have a familiar face around. He should be a good fit for them."

"Gary has a unique ability to find the football," he said. "It's almost second nature to him. He also obviously has great height and reach. He can stand in one place and cover a lot of ground."

Go Gophers!!

Now that is a new description I have never heard of before. Awesome!!!

Welcome Gary, great to have him on board with the Gophers. 680 lb squat, wow!

I wonder if he can convince Durward Kirby to commit, also.

Another brick...give this kid a year in the weight room and conditioning and I think his size/speed/instincts will translate well on the field. Great get for the defense!

Welcome aboard Gary!

He is an impressive athlete in that he will be able to carry 295lbs athletically.

This class does seem a bit heavy on the DL. Moore makes it our third DT (Stetler and Richardson) and Elmore could certainly end up a DT by the time his career is over as well. There might be some attrition at the DT position or maybe the staff just liked Moore that much. Either way, happy to have him.

Nice, welcome aboard! I like the way the DT depth is shaping up.

could he move to OL?

watched a video of him playing DT, OL and even TE running routes catching passes. I thought he looked really raw at all positions but thought he looked best playing OL. It will be interesting to hear what the coaches think about him at the social.

Welcome Gary! This class is shaping up very nicely!

Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers!

Welcome Gary, great to have him on board with the Gophers. 680 lb squat, wow!

680 pounds is not that impressive.

What?

Wait, I've just been handed a note. This is 680 pounds all at once?

Very impressive.

Enjoyed this little nugget on his Rivals page:

01/21/2014 BigGoldNation.com

Murphy (Mobile, Ala.) High standout defensive lineman Gary Moore, a long time Southern Miss commitment, took in his official visit to Hattiesburg over the weekend and came away as committed as ever. He talks about his visit with BigGoldNation.com.

Whoops...

Seriously though, welcome aboard to the young man! Can NEVER have enough quality players on both lines.

Welcome aboard Gary!

He is an impressive athlete in that he will be able to carry 295lbs athletically.

This class does seem a bit heavy on the DL. Moore makes it our third DT (Stetler and Richardson) and Elmore could certainly end up a DT by the time his career is over as well. There might be some attrition at the DT position or maybe the staff just liked Moore that much. Either way, happy to have him.

Having 2 DT is not heavy, except in weight.
Here is last years final top ten ranking and the numbers of recruits at DT in 2014:

Florida: 2 (4 star)
Auburn: 2 (4 star, 3 star)
Mich St: 2 (3 star)
S Carolina 1 (4 star)
Mo.: 0
Oklahoma: 2 (3 star)
Alabama: 4 (4 star)
Clemson: 1 (3 star)
Oregon: 1 (3 star)
U Central Florida: 1 (3 star)

Minnesota: 2 (3 star, 2 star) Stetler is listed as a DE by both Scout and Rivals. He is also listed as being around 254 pounds, which is too light for B!G play. Fantastic pick up! As for his flipping, Rivals in June had his top pick as Minnesota. He went with his initial thoughts. Maybe Stetler develops into a DT, but that day is a ways away.

Having 2 DT is not heavy, except in weight.
Here is last years final top ten ranking and the numbers of recruits at DT in 2014:

Florida: 2 (4 star)
Auburn: 2 (4 star, 3 star)
Mich St: 2 (3 star)
S Carolina 1 (4 star)
Mo.: 0
Oklahoma: 2 (3 star)
Alabama: 4 (4 star)
Clemson: 1 (3 star)
Oregon: 1 (3 star)
U Central Florida: 1 (3 star)

Minnesota: 2 (3 star, 2 star) Stetler is listed as a DE by both Scout and Rivals. He is also listed as being around 254 pounds, which is too light for B!G play. Fantastic pick up! As for his flipping, Rivals in June had his top pick as Minnesota. He went with his initial thoughts.

I have no problem with the pickup, regardless of what happens. However, Stetler will be a DT at the U. This makes at least 3 DTs unless Moore jumps to OL. I don't have a problem with it at all and I liked his athleticism for his size. I was merely point out that we are a bit heavy at DT (considering the last two recruiting classes have featured 4 DTs).

I have no problem with the pickup, regardless of what happens. However, Stetler will be a DT at the U. This makes at least 3 DTs unless Moore jumps to OL. I don't have a problem with it at all and I liked his athleticism for his size. I was merely point out that we are a bit heavy at DT (considering the last two recruiting classes have featured 4 DTs).

Sounds like Stetler is a project for the coaches to develop. Maybe Klein can work some magic and get this kid to grow some mass! I'm all for it! You may not know this, but I love having a great D-line. Build the D around it.

Sounds like Stetler is a project for the coaches to develop. Maybe Klein can work some magic and get this kid to grow some mass! I'm all for it! You may not know this, but I love having a great D-line. Build the D around it.

Yeah, he's an impressive kid. I think the weight will come on Mr. Stelter pretty quickly. I think you'll see him listed at 6'4" 265 next season (his RS season) and 6'4" 280ish his RS FR season. I'm pumped up to have this kid in the fold.

Welcome aboard Gary!

It's been a while but as I recall Moore was the #1 DT on the board early on before they backed off because of grades. I think Moore was a "take" regardless of other recruits. Again, memory is a little fuzzy but I think the staff also mentioned Moore as having Hageman type freakish athleticism. 680lbs squat & allegedly runs a 4.7 (ok, let's say it's actually a 4.9, still blazing for a guy that size). The staff is getting a higher caliber of athlete in the doors. Moore, Gibson, Holland, these guys are thoroughbreds.

It's been a while but as I recall Moore was the #1 DT on the board early on before they backed off because of grades. I think Moore was a "take" regardless of other recruits. Again, memory is a little fuzzy but I think the staff also mentioned Moore as having Hageman type freakish athleticism. 680lbs squat & allegedly runs a 4.7 (ok, let's say it's actually a 4.9, still blazing for a guy that size). The staff is getting a higher caliber of athlete in the doors. Moore, Gibson, Holland, these guys are thoroughbreds.

Good post. I actually completely forgot about that but that's why his name looks so familiar. He does remind you of a young Hageman. It's hard to remember, but Hageman was REALLY raw as a DT as a RS-FR and even a RS-SO. It was always an issue of technique catching up to an undeniable physical profile. It's a great comparison.

Top Bottom