Al Nolen is terrible

Handle = dribble. Dribble does not equal passing. Do you get that? When he is not out there, we are suspect bringing the ball up. Devoe is a developing ball handler (see getting stripped @ penn st late trying to bring the ball up).

Tubbytown, you are a f-ing stooge and a typical the sky is falling type fan. You have no credibility and your opinions mean nothing.

My opinion means nothing? If you know half as much about basketball as me or are half the fan of me, I'd be incredibly surprised.

Handle does equal dribble, I understand that idiot. He is not a good dribbler, I don't know where you are getting that. I know that we are suspect at bringing the ball up when he's not in there, but we are suspect with him too.

I'm in no way shape or form a sky is falling type of fan, I'm REALISTIC. Like I said, I absolutely guarantee that you are old, have season tickets, and form your opinions based on what is said here. You don't subjectively watch the game and make your own opinions.

Too many people here have that mentality. If you're critical after a loss, you're a terrible person and a sky is falling type of fan. Did you ever think that maybe the sky is falling in regards to our season? These players don't need to be applauded for everything they do. Sometimes they suck, and for you not to have the ability to call them out is laughable. Coddle away, old father figure. When you wake up from your dreamy land and see the light, let me know.

It's not even worth debating. Nolan can't run an offense and his defense has been suspect during the Big Ten season. Hoff would be lucky to be in Winona State's starting lineup. It's too bad because I thought both of them had promising freshmen seasons. I look forward to next season where we will add a player like White who can create his own shot and Trevor who can bring some much-added muscle inside. Hopefully Nolan will be able to find his game by then, but people who defend Nolan's play now are typical homers or don't understand the game of basketball, or possibly forgot to take their medication.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that What Up Guy, XMan, Dinkytowner, etc. are all typical homers, don't understand the game, forget to take their meds, and probably are up past their bedtime.

I couldn't agree more about White. We desperately need someone who can create and score, because we don't have a single player like that on the roster. I don't know if Nolen will be able to find his game, all his weaknesses have been exposed.

It's hard for me to rip Hoff because I really like him as a person and I've talked to him a lot, but it's hard to argue for him, he's been brutal.

you can't question the kids Defensive ability, he is a stud on D!! But for as solid as he is on D he is equally poor on O and running this offense; i still contend that part of the issue is the double high post we run, there is no room to work/penetrate, kind of hinders what Al can do especially since he can't shoot at all. Like people have said, he is only a soph. beat wisky and MI and we are in. GO GOPHERS

My opinion means nothing? If you know half as much about basketball as me or are half the fan of me, I'd be incredibly surprised.

Handle does equal dribble, I understand that idiot. He is not a good dribbler, I don't know where you are getting that. I know that we are suspect at bringing the ball up when he's not in there, but we are suspect with him too.

I'm in no way shape or form a sky is falling type of fan, I'm REALISTIC. Like I said, I absolutely guarantee that you are old, have season tickets, and form your opinions based on what is said here. You don't subjectively watch the game and make your own opinions.

Too many people here have that mentality. If you're critical after a loss, you're a terrible person and a sky is falling type of fan. Did you ever think that maybe the sky is falling in regards to our season? These players don't need to be applauded for everything they do. Sometimes they suck, and for you not to have the ability to call them out is laughable. Coddle away, old father figure. When you wake up from your dreamy land and see the light, let me know.

1) yes, he is our best dribbler as far as protecting the ball.
2) I am an early 20's college graduate without season tickets, so you are dead wrong there smart guy!
3) I agree, sometimes they suck, and I have called them out. I said that Al was brutal in the half-court, he can't run an offense. He's bad on offense. But I won't smear his entire game. As terrible as he is on offense, he is good on defense. He is a good on ball defender, our best handler in the open court. Oh, and I have seen the light, and in the light I see that you're a fuck!

How is there another Al Nolen hate thread when Westbrook should be the one shouldering just as much, if not more than the blame?
Exactly, westbrook is short, yet oesnt have the handles to be a pg, i thought since he was still in the starting lineup that he must have been locking his opponents down but he doesnt even cause turnovers. I thought i was missing something. he is in the way. hoff cant be any worse

2) I am an early 20's college graduate without season tickets, so you are dead wrong there smart guy!
3) I agree, sometimes they suck, and I have called them out. I said that Al was brutal in the half-court, he can't run an offense. He's bad on offense. But I won't smear his entire game. As terrible as he is on offense, he is good on defense. He is a good on ball defender, our best handler in the open court. Oh, and I have seen the light, and in the light I see that you're a fuck!

1) Absolutely not. Not even close. You can't just compare him and Devoe.

2) That's unfortunate, go to a game and see how bad he is in person.

3) Then don't rip on me for calling him out, he sucks.

He started the B10 season decently, which greatly inflated his numbers. Put those same ones together for the last 5 games. As for the assist to turnover ratio, I honestly have no idea how that happened. He is atrocious with the ball and turns it over so much. It's not even the assist/turnover ratio as much as it is him being totally inept at running an offense. If you counted each stupid ass shot he took or times he forced the ball into the lane, he'd crush everyone. The steals come from gambling on defense. He doesn't play good sound fundamental defense, he takes a lot of risks and pays dearly for them. 71 percent from the line is not good for a guard. He sucks, flat out sucks. You really can't argue that after watching this game. Yes, he is an above average defender for his position. That is totally outweighed by being the worst offensive point guard I have seen in a long time.

Except THESE numbers are for the entire season. Nobody said he's been playing great lately.

TubbytownUSA: "he brings nothing to this team, NOTHING"

(except for leading the Big 10 in Assist/TO, 2nd in B10 in steals, and 4th in B10 in Assists)

2008-09 Big Ten Conference, Through games of Feb 26, 2009 (All games)
http://bigten.cstv.com/sports/m-bask.../confldrs.html

ASSIST/TURNOVER RATIO (Min. 3.0 assists/game)
## Player-Team Cl G Asst Avg Turn Avg Ratio
1.Nolen, Al-MINN........... SO 27 128 4.7 51 1.9 2.51

STEALS
## Player-Team Cl G Steals Avg/G
2.Nolen, Al-MINN........... SO 27 55 2.04

ASSISTS
## Player-Team Cl G Assists Avg/G
4.Nolen, Al-MINN........... SO 27 128 4.74

FREE THROW PCT (Min. 2.0 made per game)
## Player-Team Cl G FTM FTA Pct
14.Nolen, Al-MINN........... SO 27 60 84 .714

I remember last season Hoff and Nolan showed so much promise and they have had major sophomore slumps. I think Nolan's issue might be more of confidence. You have to give the guy credit for our biggest win this year against Louisville. He destroyed their guards off the ball and was the main reason Minnesota won. Outside of that he can't shoot and he refuses to get the ball inside to any of our post players(That's a whole seperate Topic).

I think Hoff's issue is obvious. He's not someone that will beat you one-on-one or create a shot and he is an average athlete. Part of the problem is that Tubby refuses to set various screens for him which I think would free him up for some QUALITY shots. I am not trying to be negative, I just post what I see. I hope both players turn it around. As far as the homer posters which seem to dominate this forum, Yeah they're cheesey, but that's ok. As Denny Green said "This is America, and everyone has an opinion."

1) Absolutely not. Not even close. You can't just compare him and Devoe.

2) That's unfortunate, go to a game and see how bad he is in person.

3) Then don't rip on me for calling him out, he sucks.

Who is our best handler if its not Al? Please I am dying to read the answer to this one. Please.

I didnt rip you for calling him out, I ripped you for saying he brought "nothing" to the team. There is a difference there.

I remember last season Hoff and Nolan showed so much promise and they have had major sophomore slumps. I think Nolan's issue might be more of confidence. You have to give the guy credit for our biggest win this year against Louisville. He destroyed their guards off the ball and was the main reason Minnesota won. Outside of that he can't shoot and he refuses to get the ball inside to any of our post players(That's a whole seperate Topic).

I think Hoff's issue is obvious. He's not someone that will beat you one-on-one or create a shot and he is an average athlete. Part of the problem is that Tubby refuses to set various screens for him which I think would free him up for some QUALITY shots. I am not trying to be negative, I just post what I see. I hope both players turn it around. As far as the homer posters which seem to dominate this forum, Yeah they're cheesey, but that's ok. As Denny Green said "This is America, and everyone has an opinion."

Seriously, his name is spelled NOLEN people. Nolen with an e!

Hoff has had plenty of wide open squared up shots whether it was a swing pass or off a screen. Tubby realizes he can't create his own shot, he has just had his confidence shattered.

Who is our best handler if its not Al? Please I am dying to read the answer to this one. Please.

I didnt rip you for calling him out, I ripped you for saying he brought "nothing" to the team. There is a difference there.

What Up Guy, how about Hoffarber? Do you see him turning the ball over when he has it on the perimeter? See, the Wisconsin game. I know he's not a great ball handler by any means, but he's safer with the ball than Nolen. Even our big guys do a better job, how about Busch? He was out around the 3 point line and was very safe with the ball. Nolen is reckless and horrible on offense. To say he brings nothing the team is me being nice. With how much of a negative his offensive game is, he brings less than nothing, he's a huge huge liability.

Cathartic release must be defined as over 40 posts of back-and-forths about whose opinion is more valid than another's.

I stated that Al was being overrated a half dozen games into the season when everyone else was still on his bandwagon. Yet now I find that he's taking a bit more heat than he deserves. It sure is easier to play point guard on a team that can shoot straight.

For the record, I still feel he's a middle-of-the-pack Big Ten guard; below average on offense and above average on defense.

I claim dibs on being the first one to take others to task for not spelling Al's name correctly.

For the record, it's still Nolen and not Nolan. And it's Hoffarber, not Hoffarger, Hoffbarber, or Hoffberger. :p

What Up Guy, how about Hoffarber? Do you see him turning the ball over when he has it on the perimeter? See, the Wisconsin game. I know he's not a great ball handler by any means, but he's safer with the ball than Nolen. Even our big guys do a better job, how about Busch? He was out around the 3 point line and was very safe with the ball. Nolen is reckless and horrible on offense. To say he brings nothing the team is me being nice. With how much of a negative his offensive game is, he brings less than nothing, he's a huge huge liability.

Are you on crack? You think Hoffarber or Busch are better ball handlers than Nolen? Let's move them to point guard and we will see what happens. Ball handling = dribbling skill (Nolen). Ball handling is not catching it on the wing, hold it and swinging it to the top of the key. Its easy to look safe with the ball when the burden is not on you to set up the offense and create.

Are you serious? Or is this a bit? Hoffarber is a better dribbler than Nolen? ha. Thanks. I haven't laughed like that in a long time.

Al Nolen needs to ride pine, he is absolutely terrible. Once in a while he will throw up a wild terrible shot and it will go in or he may make a few defensive plays in the game but he is TERRIBLE. But I dont get too upset, these are a bunch of Dan Monson recruits.

I was actually one of the 10 gopher fans at the game tonight, wasn't sitting behind the bench I was sitting behind the basket the gophers were going at in the first half maybe you saw me on t.v. because I was pretty easy to pick out of the crowd especially the first five minutes of the game when Johnson was dominating on offense. Obviously Nolen was terrible tonight on offense; if you don't even make an attempt to shoot then pretty soon it turns into 4 on 5. Tonight the thing I noticed on defense and he wasn't the only one that was guilty here but he was a step slow on running through screens Illinois were setting trying trying to get Meachem open. All the threes they made were pretty much uncontested. Illinois is pretty similar to the gophers in the regard that they really don't have anyone that can get their own shot. The one thing I want to complain about was something that I noticed tonight that you can't really see on t.v. but I was really looking at was how the officials (and the officials definitely allowed a lot tonight on both ends never seen such a physical game played with so few fouls called) allowed Bruce Weber to actually be on the court when the gophers were playing on the end with Illinois bench. I know that there is a little leeway allowed especially when the action is at the other end of the court but this was continual both feet out on the court when the gophers were trying to run their offense I thought maybe he was just like that in general but when Illinois had the ball going at that basket in the second half he was not on the court at all so that tells me he was doing it on purpose. I don't mean to sound like sour grapes here but if we play them in the tournament somehow I hope the players remember it and someone runs his ass over if he does it in the future. Living down in illini country I don't get to see the gophers play in person very often so it was really disappointing to see such a lousy shooting performance but they have been like that on the road in conference all season except for a few brief burst here and there so really wasn't surprised; if you outrebound your opponent nearly 2 to 1 you should win and Illinois was flat themselves so the game was there for the taking.

Nolen is also atrocious at getting around screens. I almost forgot that.

yeah, nolen has killed us this entire b10 schedule...seriously, he's been awful...i would be fine if he didnt play again the rest of the year. this team isn't going anywhere anyway this year

yeah, nolen has killed us this entire b10 schedule...seriously, he's been awful...i would be fine if he didnt play again the rest of the year. this team isn't going anywhere anyway this year

I too would like to see Tubby bench Nolen and Hoffarber. While I think Nolen is still a solid on the ball defender and is the one we absolutely need to break the press, the rest of his offensive game is a complete liability. Hoffarber does a lot of things okay, and his shooting was the reason why he owned such a huge chunk of playing time. I don't care what others say, with the exception of the OSU game, he's been lost behind the arc and needs to ride pine as well. Give 80% of Hoff's minutes to Joseph and the other 20% to Bostick.

Top Bottom