Akolda Manyang: “Right now Minnesota has emerged as my favorite."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
“Right now Minnesota has emerged as my favorite,” Akolda Manyang told XOFan. “Its close to home and I like the coaches. But, I’m still open and have been hearing from Penn State, UTEP, Tennessee, Utah, Boson U, and Virginia.”

“I’m still open and want to play for a school that fits my style of play,” Manyang continued. “Plus one that has the opportunity to play right away.”

http://xofan.com/basketball-2/mvc-basketball/vancoleman/gophers-lead-for-in-state-big-man/

Go Gophers!!

Those videos were the first I have seen of him, and I came away impressed. You can clearly see has huge potential. I'm hoping like hell we get this kid...a seven footer who can block shots a run the floor (with the ball) would be a great addition!

(3-21-2012)Duluth East coach backs suspended center Akolda Manyang (pp;link)

Duluth East coach backs suspended center Akolda Manyang
3-21-2012

“Manyang averaged 17.6 points, 12.7 rebounds and 5.7 blocks per game this season.
Manyang, 18, told the Duluth News Tribune on Monday that he doesn't smoke and denied the allegation.
Tolo, in his 26th year teaching in Duluth, accompanied Manyang to a 45-minute meeting this week with Duluth East Principal Laurie Knapp and activities director Shawn Roed to appeal the ruling.
Tolo said a ruling was to be made within two days.
"I was hoping we would be informed either way before we played," he said. "It's very unprofessional. As a teacher and a coach, I wouldn't do that to anybody. I wouldn't do that to kids. They deserve a right to know what the situation is."
In support of Manyang, Duluth East players and the coaching staff wore warm-up T-shirts with Manyang's name and number 32 on them. “
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20224374/coach-backs-suspended-duluth-east-center-akolda-manyang

Anyone know the follow-up to that story?^^^^^^

I don't get it does he have an offer?

He does not have an offer at the moment. My guess is that he has some potential grade issues and when you add that he was suspended last year, some coaches might be turned off by that.

Updated: April 21, 2012 - 5:57 PM (coach fired)

Anyone know the follow-up to that story?^^^^^^
"The Duluth school board voted this week to fire two Duluth East basketball coaches who publicly criticized a suspension that caused 7-foot center Akolda Manyang to miss the playoffs and state tournament.

Updated: April 21, 2012 - 5:57 PM

The Duluth school board voted this week to fire two Duluth East basketball coaches who publicly criticized a suspension that caused 7-foot center Akolda Manyang to miss the playoffs and state tournament.

The board found that head coach Chuck Tolo and assistant Will Starks violated employee conduct standards and student privacy rules.

Manyang, 18, helped lift the Greyhounds to a 20-8 season. But on the day of the Section 7, Class 4A quarterfinals, Woodland Hills, the behavioral treatment facility where Manyang lived, told East officials that he was seen smoking.

The school suspended Manyang from play for allegedly violating the State High School League's rule against tobacco use. He denied smoking and appealed the suspension, but no decision was reached in time for the state tournament, in which Osseo eliminated East 62-51.
"
http://m.startribune.com/local/?id=148398135&c=y

Rivals listed him as class of 2012. Is that just a typo?

Hmmm. What a mixed bag. It looks like he has some potential and appears to actually have some touch at the line and presence on defense. However, ESPN, Scout and Rivals haven't evaluated him. That, coupled with the smoking issue and the fact that he is/was living at a controlled behavioral treatment facility, bothers me a bit (not that my opinion matters). Plus he doesn't seem to get very good grades. I think Tubby needs to lock up a top-level (4 star) recruit soon or the fans will begin to become quite restless (again). Akolda Manyang does not qualify as a top-tier recruit.

kinda reminds me of a poor mans JuJuan Johnson...but yeah, all the off the court issues freak the $&*# out of me.

kinda reminds me of a poor mans JuJuan Johnson...but yeah, all the off the court issues freak the $&*# out of me.

What off court issues? The posted info says he might or might not have had a cigarette; either way not an issue.

I've been told that he will never be a Gopher. That he has issues & has almost no chance of qualifying academically in the first place.

My guess is that Northwestern will probably not offer either then.

What off court issues? The posted info says he might or might not have had a cigarette; either way not an issue.

It's well known that he has had struggles in the classroom. Besides the smoking thing last year, from what I heard he had off the court issues in Rochester that led to him moving to Duluth to play for East. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one, please.

It's well known that he has had struggles in the classroom. Besides the smoking thing last year, from what I heard he had off the court issues in Rochester that led to him moving to Duluth to play for East. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one, please.

He wants to play basketball not join the chess team; if Tubby thinks he can play and he can make the grades give him a chance.
From the below link dated 1-17-12 (basketball bloodline)
"Duluth East 7-footer Akolda Manyang, who just became eligible since transferring in, is a cousin to former to Rochester and Oklahoma star Longar Longar."

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/01/17/mike-maxs-news-and-notes-for-117/

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I thought I heard his brother was recently incarcerated?

Post links -- don't create rumors

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I thought I heard his brother was recently incarcerated?
Why would you post something like you did if you are not sure?

"NORMAN, Okla. - The Minnesota Timberwolves announced Monday that former University of Oklahoma basketball player Longar Longar has been named to the organization's 10-man 2008 NBA Summer League roster.

Longar, who was OU's second-leading scorer and rebounder last year with his 11.4 and 5.6 respective averages, is from Rochester, Minn. He lettered four years at OU, posted a .538 career field goal percentage and ranks eighth in school history with 103 blocked shots. Longar was named to the Big 12's Most Improved Team following his junior season.

"I received a call the night of the (NBA) draft from my agent," said Longar on Monday. "He told me the Timberwolves called him and offered me a spot on their summer league team. I'm excited. I leave on the 10th and our first game is on the 11th."

Longar, who's in Chicago, said he's working dailyon shooting and ball handling.

"Mostly, though, I'm in the weight room. I lift weights six days a week."

The Timberwolves' summer league roster will also feature Kevin Love (UCLA), the fifth overall pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, and 2007 NBA Draft picks Corey Brewer (Florida) and Chris Richard (Florida). Also representing Minnesota will be Blake Ahearn (Missouri State), Dan Coleman (Minnesota), Vincent Grier (Minnesota), Pooh Jeter (Portland), Drew Neitzel (Michigan State) and Bryce Taylor (Oregon).

The summer league will run from July 11-20 in Las Vegas, Nev. Games will be played at the COX Pavilion and the Thomas and Mack Center on the University of Nevada-Las Vegas campus. Twenty-one NBA teams will be represented. The Timberwolves will play five games, the first of which will take place July 14 at 9 p.m. CDT against Dallas.

"The Timberwolves haven't told me what chance I have of making the team," said Longar. "That will probably depend on how well I play in the summer league. Hopefully it works out. If it doesn't, I've already got offers from teams in Ukraine, Italy and Russia. I could do that for a year and come back. Or it's possible that an NBA team could sign me and send me to Europe to play for a year.

"I'm just trying to stay focused and keep moving forward."

"
http://collegehoopsnet.com/ou039s-longar-longar-play-with-t039wolves-42488

billblake said:
He sat out his most of his soph year at Rochester Century, as he was academically ineligible. Not sure about his brother being incarcerated, but he was thrown off the team (Century) last year. I believe he failed a breathalyzer at half-time of a game.

You just made that up, didn't you?

He sat out his most of his soph year at Rochester Century, as he was academically ineligible. Not sure about his brother being incarcerated, but he was thrown off the team (Century) last year. I believe he failed a breathalyzer at half-time of a game.

I would be careful about making claims whether true or false that could cause damages such as a $50K scholarship not being offered…

Blogger Johnny Northside must pay $60,000 to fired community leader...
http://www.startribune.com/local/117805398.html?refer=y

You're right...I confess to having no firsthand knowledge of the the situation. No idea about what type of shape Alkoda Manyang is in with respect to academics. If he's sound there, I am certain he gets a long look....not too many quality 7 footers out there. I have no firsthand knowledge of his brother's situation, either, and it was in poor taste to post what the rumors were. I trust the coaching staff to thoroughly vet each prospect.

His brother plays for net gain and hes not in jail lol.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't 100% if it was him or not which is why I expressed that in the post. For the record I probably shouldn't have posted that. Someone broke down all this kid's issues a while back & obviously I don't recall them all clearly anymore, but I do recall agreeing that he'd never be a Gopher after hearing them.

His brother plays for net gain and hes not in jail lol.

The story is pretty interesting and I'd probably defer to the locals on what is going on. In high school I had a friend from the neighborhood who earned a trip to Woodland Hills after a string of violations. He was really positive about the program and turned a corner after his time there. You might also know about Duluth East having a great hockey program and a successful coach. He was released from his job a few years back, and reinstated against the recommendation from administration by the school board. The last I heard, the East coach was fired for his public stance supporting Manyang.

i'm not 100% certain on this, but I don't think I heard that we are recruiting his brother.

thank you.

WTF is with this witch hunt against this kid. Smoking a cig? HOW DARE HE.

Tubby has to get this kid. Look at his size. He can dribble and move. Would be a huge get.

thank you.

WTF is with this witch hunt against this kid. Smoking a cig? HOW DARE HE.

Tubby has to get this kid. Look at his size. He can dribble and move. Would be a huge get.

He cannot dribble. After watching him at the Peach Jam it is clear as to why he doesn't have an offer from the U of M yet. He is just so raw offensively and he really misses on some of the little things as well, for example after setting a pick rolling to the basket instead of popping. He didn't rebound exceptionally well for his size and had trouble holding onto the ball at times. Fantastic shot blocker but after that everything else is pretty mediocre.

If he does come to the U of M i think a redshirt year is a must.

Just my 2 cents

Top Bottom