Ajok Madol: Team Canada FIBA U19 Women's World Cup

SHGopher

Reaction score
Training camp begins for Ajok Madol and Team Canada U19 team ahead of the FIBA U19 Women’s World Cup, which is set for July 15-23 in Madrid, Spain.

Image from that link:
1688087148805.png

At that link, if I read this right, Canada U19 is ranked 5 in the world? I'm curious.
1688087268780.png

Awesome experience for her! That's great!

The FIBA U19 Women’s Basketball World Cup 2023 will take place from July 15-23, 2023 in Madrid, Spain and will feature the best 16 teams in the world. All the action will be streaming live on FIBA’s YouTube channel.

Canada’s best finish at the FIBA U19 Women’s Basketball World Cup came in 2017 as the team captured a historic bronze medal, thanks to a 67-60 victory over Japan. Canada is coming off a fifth-place finish at the tournament in 2021 — the last held U19 Women’s World Cup.

Carly Clarke, who as head coach helped Canada win bronze in 2017, returns as the U19 Women’s National Team head coach this summer. Clarke, who is an assistant coach with the Senior Women’s National Team, led Canada’s U23 women’s national team to a gold medal at the inaugural GLOBL JAM last summer in Toronto.

On the bench alongside Clarke are assistant coaches Marlo Davis and Jessica Roque, while Nick DeAdder will join the staff as a performance analyst.

Canada is in Group D and will face China (July 15, 8:45 am ET / 5:45 am PT), Czech Republic (July 16, 6:15 am ET / 3:15 am PT) and Egypt (July 18, 5:45 am ET / 2:45 am PT). All 16 teams participating in the event will advance to the competition's Final Phase with a single-elimination format in place from the Round of 16 onwards.

Last summer, Canada finished second at the FIBA U18 Women's Americas Championship 2022 in Buenos Aires, Argentina to qualify for this summer’s FIBA U19 Women's Basketball World Cup 2023.

Cassandre Prosper and Syla Swords have been named to the Senior Women’s National Team roster for the upcoming FIBA Women’s Americup 2023. which runs July 1-9, 2023, and will join the U19 team in Spain for the FIBA U19 Women's Basketball World Cup 2023.

Players selected to attend training camp attended a Canada Basketball Women’s High Performance National Team Age-Group Assessment Camp in April, which was held in Portland, Oregon in conjunction with the 2023 Nike Hoop Summit.

Canada is currently ranked 5th overall in the FIBA women’s age-group rankings, presented by Nike, up three spots following the conclusion of the FIBA 2022 Youth Events.

Interesting facts and stats from the history of FIBA U19 women's basketball tournaments.

The six must watch games of the #FIBAU19 Group Phase​

Canada makes the cut.

Group D: Canada v China - Saturday 15 July (14:45 local time)​

Xb1PpjW-FESFGSTcMF1ung.jpg

This could be a fascinating clash as the FIBA U18 Americas silver medalists go head-to-head with the FIBA U18 Asia silver medalists. Both nations will be eager to make a deep run and this early look of two teams that will be targeting the Quarter-Finals will be very interesting. Toby Fournier excelled at #FIBAU17 last year and should provide a one-two punch with T'Yana Todd, while China will most probably look to Li Wenexia for inspiration.

Toby Fournier says people may know her for dunking but she can do more than that too.

"I'm more versatile than that... A lot of people don't know that from the little clips they find online and through social media. So the Nike Hoops Summit was kind of my statement to everyone." She had a strong game.

Fournier is the #10 2024 prospect per ESPN HoopGurlz. Ajok Madol is her U19 teammate with Team Canada this summer.

Toby Fournier says people may know her for dunking but she can do more than that too.

"I'm more versatile than that... A lot of people don't know that from the little clips they find online and through social media. So the Nike Hoops Summit was kind of my statement to everyone." She had a strong game.

Fournier is the #10 2024 prospect per ESPN HoopGurlz. Ajok Madol is her U19 teammate with Team Canada this summer.

Anybody else think they were listening to Paige Bueckers sister? She resembles her, she answers questions very similarly and her mannerisms are reminiscent as well. They share self confidence to the max. Thought maybe we had an inside pipeline with Ajok but Toby is going to Duke.

Toby Fournier missed a free throw and then got her own rebound for the score!

Dominika Paurova had a great game, although that was against a weak Egypt team.

She decommitted from the Gophers when Whalen was "mutually" transitioned out. Otherwise, Gophers retained the other players plus picked up a couple good Coach P recruits.

1689431799442.png

This is the stat link for Ajok Madol:

They list her as a forward, I assume small forward. I think she's usually called a wing.

1689432210996.png

I watched the Canada game and I was hoping Ajok would get more minutes but I knew she had normally been a backup. She did look good in defense but didn't look confident without the ball on offense. Once she had the ball she was ready to go but at times seemed a little unsure. I thought she was open quite a few times on the base line where she could have been passed to for a short jumper. Looks like she has talent and plenty of room to grow.

She decommitted from the Gophers when Whalen was "mutually" transitioned out. Otherwise, Gophers retained the other players plus picked up a couple good Coach P recruits.

View attachment 26041

Ajok and here will have the opportunity to get after it head to head tomorrow and about 4:30 in the morning. I hope Ajok can outplay her on a per minutes basis.

I watched the Canada game and I was hoping Ajok would get more minutes but I knew she had normally been a backup. She did look good in defense but didn't look confident without the ball on offense. Once she had the ball she was ready to go but at times seemed a little unsure. I thought she was open quite a few times on the base line where she could have been passed to for a short jumper. Looks like she has talent and plenty of room to grow.

Good summary. Also, in the first half, she was in position for an offensive rebound and then was quickly muscled off the court over the end line. Welcome to international play.

She seems kind of Bambi like but once she gains some strength and confidence she will be special.

Canada finished off the Czechs 66-61. The Canadians led 31-8 at the end of one. I picked up the game mid way through the third so I missed the the Czech come back. It was 52-51 Canada at one point. The quick take was Canada couldn't score and the Czechs couldn't rebound.

Madol did not play the last quarter and a half. Paurova did play and was dynamic. Although she only scored four points during the time I was watching. I await the box score.

View attachment 26041

Do we know if Coach P made contact with Dominika after she decommitted/was released from her NLI, and before she committed to Oregon State?

Do we know if Coach P made contact with Dominika after she decommitted/was released from her NLI, and before she committed to Oregon State?
We could go back and verify, but I seem to remember that she decommited before learning who the new coach would be.

That doesn’t mean there was no contact, but the fact that she publicly decommitted before the new coach was even hired indicates she had moved on mentally and nothing was going to get her to recommit once the U let her out of her NLI.

I’m just guessing here, but most likely Paurova had a short list of coaches she already knew from her original recruitment.

Rueck is a coach who has had great success with international players in the past.

Canada defeated Mali in a quarter final game 82-69. Madol did not play.

In a spirited 4th quarter, Spain withstood a double digit Canada comeback to win 77-70. Spain will play USA for the title tomorrow. And Canada will play France for 3rd

Last edited:

Top Bottom