Airforce Flyover

Got some clarifications today:

Yes it's a B2 Stealth. It's slotted to either fly over to signal the start of pregame or during the Swinging Gates formation.

ESPN apparently wants the B2 for another one of their events. However (according to umnhcky) it's a retired brigadier general making the request for the B2 so I think it's implied that it'll end up being at our game, as they're unlikely to say no to a former brig. general and go to a game that ISN'T Air Force.

GAWD I hope this is true.

There has been a lot of mucked up information on this thread so far. Lots of speculating on the types of planes, lots of incorrect info (52 "stealth", Blue Angels "air force", etc. etc.). But, if we end up getting a B2, I will be beside myself. That would be awesome.

I made sure to clarify, and assuming we get it, the B2 is what's on tap. It was my bad re: B52. Not a big plane guy haha.

Throwing this out there to any pilots or those of you with AF ops knowledge:

What are the flight rules for flyovers in rain or low ceilings? Are we going to get a flyover if it happens to be raining on Saturday? I'd assume the AF Parachute team won't be coming in if either are occurring.

Can anyone set us straight? I'm excited for the game this weekend, but just about as excited for the flyover. If you've never experienced one, you'll get goosebumps. Crossing my fingers that the B-2 rumor is a 100% go.

Throwing this out there to any pilots or those of you with AF ops knowledge:

What are the flight rules for flyovers in rain or low ceilings? Are we going to get a flyover if it happens to be raining on Saturday? I'd assume the AF Parachute team won't be coming in if either are occurring.

Can anyone set us straight? I'm excited for the game this weekend, but just about as excited for the flyover. If you've never experienced one, you'll get goosebumps. Crossing my fingers that the B-2 rumor is a 100% go.

Speaking from experience at Air Force games, rainy, hazy weather generally means no flyover.

This just in from GopherIllustrated:

The four F16s from Duluth will flyover at 1,000 feet and 320 miles per hour. Their on-board computers have them scheduled to be over midfield at 5:53:35. They will approach from the west and do the flyover from west to east, so fans with binoculars should be able to pick them up as they make their run from just north of the downtown skyscrapers. All Minnesota pilots who will land at Twin Cities International and attend the game as guests of the Air Force.

I posted this several weeks ago, but it needs repeating:

179th Fighter Squadron Wins Raytheon Trophy ---------

04/15/2009 - DULUTH, Minn. -- Chief of Staff of the Air Force, General Norton Schwartz recently announced that the 179th Fighter Squadron is the recipient of the 2008 Raytheon Trophy for its accomplishments in Fiscal Year 2008. The 179th Fighter Squadron is attached to the 148th Fighter Wing; a Minnesota-based Air National Guard Wing.

The Raytheon Trophy, formerly known as the Hughes Trophy is awarded for outstanding performance to an Air Force or Air National Guard fighter unit with a mission in air defense or air superiority. Units are judged on performance in the air defense or air superiority mission, exercise participation, inspection results, squadron and/or individual accomplishments.

In addition to an "Excellent" Phase II Operational Readiness Inspection and "Mission Ready" Alert Force Evaluation rating, the 148th deployed in support of Operation NOBLE EAGLE and IRAQI FREEDOM. After the Air Force grounded its F-15 fleet, the 148th quickly deployed jets and personnel to Hickam Air Force Base to perform Air Sovereignty Alert for nearly three months. A week after returning from Hickam, the 148th deployed jets and personnel to Elmendorf Air Force Base to perform Alert for another five-weeks. While at Elmendorf, the 148th was the first F-16 unit to intercept a Russian "Bear" Bomber off the coast of Alaska. The 148th performed Alert from both Minneapolis and Duluth during the Republican National Convention where they executed two active scrambles, three air patrols and prosecuted five temporary flight restriction violations. The 148th completed the year by deploying to Joint Base Balad, Iraq for a third time since 2005.

This is only the fourth time an Air National Guard unit has received the award and only the second time an F-16 unit has received the award since its inception in 1953. 179th Fighter Squadron Commander, Lt. Col Eric Chandler said "It's awesome for the Bulldogs to get recognition for the hard work they did in 2008. All our people make it look easy, but it isn't. They deserve this kind of award."

148th Fighter Wing Commander, Col. Frank Stokes stated that "This award is especially important to our Wing because it validates the intense effort we have put forth over the last several years: the many times we have answered calls from ANG, ACC, and the Air Force; packed up and deployed on short notice; and accomplished the mission in a professional, efficient manner. We have answered those calls repeatedly, and often returned to take an inspection or deploy to the AEF, and then immediately fulfilled another short notice request. We have done all this without complaining, and in a manner that often left the operation in better shape than when we came. The Bulldogs should feel good that our efforts were not lost on our Nation's Leadership - they have now rewarded us for them."]

This just in from GopherIllustrated:

The four F16s from Duluth will flyover at 1,000 feet and 320 miles per hour. Their on-board computers have them scheduled to be over midfield at 5:53:35. They will approach from the west and do the flyover from west to east, so fans with binoculars should be able to pick them up as they make their run from just north of the downtown skyscrapers. All Minnesota pilots who will land at Twin Cities International and attend the game as guests of the Air Force.
The B2 has been scrapped due to another obligation. It's just the 4 F-16's. Apparently >4 planes means it's an airshow and there are fees/regulations/rules associated with that status. Originally it was to be 3 F-16s during the anthem and a B2 during the swinging gates, hence now there are 4 F-16's. Glad to hear all the pilots will be from Minnesota and will attend the game. I bet they're really excited as well.

The B2 has been scrapped due to another obligation. It's just the 4 F-16's. Apparently >4 planes means it's an airshow and there are fees/regulations/rules associated with that status. Originally it was to be 3 F-16s during the anthem and a B2 during the swinging gates, hence now there are 4 F-16's. Glad to hear all the pilots will be from Minnesota and will attend the game. I bet they're really excited as well.

:cry: My dreams...crushed.

In all seriousness, a B2 would have been sweet. But somehow, someway, I'll put on a brave face and enjoy the game anyway.

Names of the pilots: Lt.Col. Reed Bowman, Bloomington; Lt. Col. Mary Rainaldi, Hopkins; Lt. Col. James Cleet, Duluth, and Capt. T.J. Rendulich, Duluth.

after a very long silence....

Or turkeys like on WKRP many years ago.

"God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly." Arthur Carlson WKRP Station Manager
In my view, the greatest scripted line uttered in the history of T.V.

I am very disapointed that ESPN stole our B-2 flyover from us....

Added on top off the Paulus B.S., just another reason to hate The Entertainment and Sports Programing Network.

I saw that on a Bucknut board ...

forget it my bad. Wrong game.

No, it very well could be ESPN. I was told that ESPN was trying to jockey the B2 for one of their games.

Where did anyone say that ESPN stole the B-2?
What happened was that the B-2 was already scheduled to fly over an afternoon game elsewhere that was being televised on ESPN (not sure which game). Since the B-2 was already going to be in the air they were going to coordinate to have it fly over on the long way home. Then ESPN decided they wanted to air that game at 7pm instead, and since the B-2 was committed to that one first, it took priority. Apparently they tried to figure out if they could still do both. Time of flight was likely the issue, although you can still blame ESPN. I am inclined to believe we are getting the fly-overs based on favors from alumni/Minnesotans who are high ranking air force officers (another reason to thank your service people and treat them well), and if that's true then I can understand ditching the free favor for the cash cow.

Hey isn't it nice that we can actually have fly-overs now? Hopefully this aint a one-time deal. Maybe we'll get a B-2 for the USC game next year???

Well your choices for ESPN B-2 flyover games are as follows (assuming it is infact an ESPN game):

UCLA @ Tennessee (ESPN, 3pm)
South Carolina @ Georgia (ESPN, 6pm)
Air Force @ Minnesota (BTN, 6pm)
USC @ Ohio State (ESPN, 7pm)

Doesn't make sense that it would be the UCLA/TN game because there wouldn't be any problem getting a B-2 from Knoxville to MSP in 3 hours. I find it hard to believe that ESPN would be requesting at B-2 for the SC/GA game in Athens. If I had to guess, our friends in Columbus attending the Trojans/Buckeyes game will see the flyover shortly before gametime. GameDay is in Columbus this wknd as well.

It's too bad we won't get it, but the F-16's will be great.

"God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly." Arthur Carlson WKRP Station Manager
In my view, the greatest scripted line uttered in the history of T.V.

Thanks for the reminder. Among many great episodes, that was probably the funniest. I remember rolling on the floor laughing the first time I saw it. When I just tried to tell my wife about it and quote the line above, I couldn't get it out as I was laughing too hard.
:D

Top Bottom