Airforce Flyover

25mkg

Reaction score
I work with a guy who has a daughter in the Academy and he tells me they are planning on flying cadets from Minnesota home for the game. He said all the visitor tickets are bought up. They are trying to make T-Shirts with an Eagle with a Gopher in its talons.

In addition, he said the Blue Angels will be doing the flyover! Hope that is true.:)

I work with a guy who has a daughter in the Academy and he tells me they are planning on flying cadets from Minnesota home for the game. He said all the visitor tickets are bought up. They are trying to make T-Shirts with an Eagle with a Gopher in its talons.

In addition, he said the Blue Angels will be doing the flyover! Hope that is true.:)

Cool T-shirt idea. Glad there's some buzz about the game in C-springs.

The Blue Angels are Navy F/A-18 demo team stationed out of Pensecola, FL. I HIGHTLY doubt they'll be doing the flyover. Now I'll give your friend the benefit of the doubt since his daughter is AF and assume he meant the Thunderbirds, who are the Air Force's F-16 demo team who are stationed out of Nellis AFB in Las Vegas (also not close).

Being as a Flyover is not a simple operation and typically a 3-day plan that involves on-site visits and a lot of communication and coordination with local air and ground authorities as well as athletics people, and the Air Show season will likely have not ended before Sept. 12 I am inclined to rule out any of the demo teams. Flyovers aren't something they're known to do anyway.

I would absolutely love it if a demo team did the flyover but I'd almost guarantee it's going to be 4 maybe 5 F-16's out of Duluth going low and slow in formation. That's who we usually get for flyovers: down University Ave. in 2003 HC parade and on Northrop Mall for 2007 veteran student services thing.

Blue Angels fly-over...

Yeah, baby! That would be great! Go Navy! Unfortunately, it'll probably be a fly-over of Air Force UAVs...

I think they have a gig, but

At Mach 1, they could be here and back in about 4 hours.

These are The Air Force Thunderbirds

A44E6BBC07FDBED55BDF573D75F9.jpg

If the Thunderbirds out of NELLIS AFB IN LAS VEGAS are coming they might as well bring the 'flying disc' found near Roswell. The only downside would be it would fly so fast that nobody could tell if it was really there. BTW Station 19 spelled backwards is AREA 91.

Does anyone remember the song "Flying Blue Angels?. I'll bet Jim V does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFYAAkSCJvc

Thunderbirds 2009 Air Show Schedule:

September
5-7 Cleveland, OH
12-13 Sacramento, CA
19-20 Hickam AFB, HI

Either they split and send part of the squad here, they fly up and back before/after the Sacramento show, or they aren't coming up here. I am sort of skeptical because they have their own flight crews who are probably protective of the planes and unwilling to let other crews prep them for demonstrations. A simple flyover might be different. Also, while a big deal for us, TCF opening probably isn't that big of a deal to the Air Force.

Didn't someone on here who is connected already say the pilots would be Minnesota pilots?

Didn't someone on here who is connected already say the pilots would be Minnesota pilots?

Pretty sure it was umnhcky, who has been totally spot on in the past given his connections via the band.

Husker,

You can't fly supersonic over the US except for in specific areas (military bases). People don't like it too much when their china shatters

I remember sonic booms in Colorado, Nebraska, and Kansas when they open those bad boys up. Breaking the sound barrier is awsome.

Air force person just checking in here--can't wait for the game against the Gophers! Let me try to clarify a few things... Yes, it's very likely that a couple hundred cadets from Minnesota will come to the game. If they have special T-shirts made, it will be a Gopher in a Falcon's talons, not an eagles.
A flyover is pretty likely, too. When Air Force has road games, they often get offers from nearby units (especally guard and reserve, so they very well may be MN pilots) to do fly-bys pre-game. That means it could anything from a B-52 or even B-1 (from Ellsworth AFB SD, for example), F-16s, or even heavy stuff like C-130s or C-17s. At our home games we see B-1s, B-2s, F-22s, tankers, just about everything. Some of us at USAFA will probably know in advance (or can find out) and we'll definitely post whatever we know/hear. It won't be supersonic--trust me. Nor will it be a UAV or the Thunderbirds. Something else you can probably look forward to is a chance that our Wings of Blue competitive parachute team will jump into the stadium pre-game and that our falconers (cadets who handle our live mascots) will be there to put on a flight demo by our birds.

In any case, we're looking forward to a great game and, as we get closer, some good conversation with your fans.
Have a Great Air Force Day!
Stalag Out!

Gopher Air Force Alum

As a born and raised Gopher and Alum and an Air Force Vet of 22 years, I can't wait for this game in the new stadium! My son, who was raised in Ohio, will be accompanying me to the game and even he will be rooting for the Gophs! I love the Air Force mission but GO GOPHERS!!

Air force person just checking in here--can't wait for the game against the Gophers! Let me try to clarify a few things... Yes, it's very likely that a couple hundred cadets from Minnesota will come to the game. If they have special T-shirts made, it will be a Gopher in a Falcon's talons, not an eagles.
A flyover is pretty likely, too. When Air Force has road games, they often get offers from nearby units (especally guard and reserve, so they very well may be MN pilots) to do fly-bys pre-game. That means it could anything from a B-52 or even B-1 (from Ellsworth AFB SD, for example), F-16s, or even heavy stuff like C-130s or C-17s. At our home games we see B-1s, B-2s, F-22s, tankers, just about everything. Some of us at USAFA will probably know in advance (or can find out) and we'll definitely post whatever we know/hear. It won't be supersonic--trust me. Nor will it be a UAV or the Thunderbirds. Something else you can probably look forward to is a chance that our Wings of Blue competitive parachute team will jump into the stadium pre-game and that our falconers (cadets who handle our live mascots) will be there to put on a flight demo by our birds.

In any case, we're looking forward to a great game and, as we get closer, some good conversation with your fans.
Have a Great Air Force Day!
Stalag Out!

This is why I love playing people that aren't BADgers or Hogeyes. Stand-up man thanks for the info

GOW: We've got a small but active group on our board that loves to talk football. Please drop by and say "hello."

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=238&F=1553

I think you'll find us generally devoid of trash-talk and silliness, respectful of our opponents (we do get a little heated during Navy week), and interested in a good, clean game where everyone gives their best on the field and the results speak for themselves.

We know our game with the Gophers will be a very tough one, especially with the home crowd of a new stadium dedication, Big 10 tradition, etc. Hopefully, our Falcons (win or lose) will make you proud to know your tax dollars are well-spent on training leaders of character for our nation--who can also bring it on the gridiron. Right now, it looks like our starting kicker (Soderberg) is a MN native.

We started classes 10 days ago and, to give you a glimpse into their lives, I know of at least three seniors on the team who are taking "Introduction to Astronautical Engineering (orbital mechanics)" this semester. (It's a class they all have to take and pass to graduate--after having already passed, mech, EE, and aero engr). The min course load for our cadets is 17-18 SH and most are closer to 20. Remember, that almost all of our young men will be in harm's way within 1-5 years of this September's game--and not playing on Sundays.

Here's a link to an ESPN article on our returning QB, Tim Jefferson:

Best of luck to Minnesota through training camp and in prep for the game. We want you to be 100% on 12 Sep!

Thanks - I Attended The Army-Navy Game Last Fall

GOW: We've got a small but active group on our board that loves to talk football. Please drop by and say "hello."

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=238&F=1553

I think you'll find us generally devoid of trash-talk and silliness, respectful of our opponents (we do get a little heated during Navy week), and interested in a good, clean game where everyone gives their best on the field and the results speak for themselves.

We know our game with the Gophers will be a very tough one, especially with the home crowd of a new stadium dedication, Big 10 tradition, etc. Hopefully, our Falcons (win or lose) will make you proud to know your tax dollars are well-spent on training leaders of character for our nation--who can also bring it on the gridiron. Right now, it looks like our starting kicker (Soderberg) is a MN native.

We started classes 10 days ago and, to give you a glimpse into their lives, I know of at least three seniors on the team who are taking "Introduction to Astronautical Engineering (orbital mechanics)" this semester. (It's a class they all have to take and pass to graduate--after having already passed, mech, EE, and aero engr). The min course load for our cadets is 17-18 SH and most are closer to 20. Remember, that almost all of our young men will be in harm's way within 1-5 years of this September's game--and not playing on Sundays.

Here's a link to an ESPN article on our returning QB, Tim Jefferson:

Best of luck to Minnesota through training camp and in prep for the game. We want you to be 100% on 12 Sep!

In Philly. They too, had their respective jumpers drop into Lincoln Financial Field, Navy flyover, Army flyover (Blackhawk Helicopters, btw), and both sides' cadets in formation pre-game. The whole thing was a great experience. I am very glad I went.

Immediately in advance (finished on the flight out) I read Feinstein's book "A Civil War", for some perspective and to get ready for the game, and the "Zoomies" get a lot of mention - not only for commonality of the rigorous academic standards and commitment, but for the fact the Falcons routinely beat both the Middies and the Knights on the field.

Here's to a great game with a respected opponent.

According to Tim Diem (band director), B52 Stealth and F16's are the planes that are to fly over. B52 will flyover to signal the start of pregame (though he mentioned something about ESPN "wanting to divert"--not sure what that means...if they want it for another game or what. I can't see ESPN overriding what the Air Force wants to do with their planes) and the F16's will flyover for the final note of Star Spangled Banner which will be pretty cool.

According to Tim Diem (band director), B52 Stealth and F16's are the planes that are to fly over. B52 will flyover to signal the start of pregame (though he mentioned something about ESPN "wanting to divert"--not sure what that means...if they want it for another game or what. I can't see ESPN overriding what the Air Force wants to do with their planes) and the F16's will flyover for the final note of Star Spangled Banner which will be pretty cool.

Sounds awesome. B-52 isn't the stealth though. Could be the B-2. Either would be effing sweet IMO.

I've said this before, but dang 9/12 is going to be awesome....

B-52 isn't the stealth though. Could be the B-2.

As someone who grew up on air force bases and has a father that flew B52s, I can attest to the fact that if there is one word that would not describe a B52, that word would be "Stealth". :D

As someone who grew up on air force bases and has a father that flew B52s, I can attest to the fact that if there is one word that would not describe a B52, that word would be "Stealth". :D

As someone noted in another thread on this topic, there is a reason the B-52 was known as a BUFF (Big Ugly Fat F****r).

Here's hoping the OP of the latest rumor was told B-2. :)

A little off topic but, what are the chances we see a blimp over The Bank in 2009?

I've seen blimps on a number of occasions, the coolest was when I was studying in my friends 22nd floor dorm room and it flew by closer than I would have thought that the FAA would allow. I also lived in South Bend from '93 to '98 and saw it on 2-4 Saturdays per fall. Also, I noted it in the sky at last month's PGA event in the Twin Cities.

There is just something cool about seeing a blimp amble through the sky.

ESPN isn't televising the game are they? It is a BTN game...right?

In addition to "stealth", there are other words that are not used to describe the B-52: "graceful", "elegant" and "pretty" are some others. If you hadn't actually seen one fly, the phrase "capable of flight" might not be a phrase that people would readily give to it.

I think they should load the B-52 with t-shirts and drop them from the bomb bay doors over the stadium.

My bad on the B52 thing...He specifically said stealth (though he may be fuzzy on details, who knows) so it must be the B2.

I'll get clarification re: ESPN tomorrow. Perhaps they want the flyover for another big game? Who knows. Or maybe he meant the BTN wants to divert.

Got some clarifications today:

Yes it's a B2 Stealth. It's slotted to either fly over to signal the start of pregame or during the Swinging Gates formation.

ESPN apparently wants the B2 for another one of their events. However (according to umnhcky) it's a retired brigadier general making the request for the B2 so I think it's implied that it'll end up being at our game, as they're unlikely to say no to a former brig. general and go to a game that ISN'T Air Force.

Top Bottom