Aidan O'Connell, Charlie Jones, Payne Durham and cb Trice all opting out of Orlando Bowl vs LSU

I would still love to see some study that proves that this opting out early to "prepare" for the draft really helps any of these guys.

Lot of money on the line so it is what it is but it is really unfortunate for the game when all these star players sit out. This basically decimates the Purdue offense without their Top QB, WR, and TE.

Seems to me that it would be very possible to prep for the draft AND play in the game if you are willing to do your prep on campus as opposed to going to some training site somewhere to try and shave a fraction of a second off your 40 time so that the scouts will be totally fooled and see you as a completely different player.

I would still love to see some study that proves that this opting out early to "prepare" for the draft really helps any of these guys.

Lot of money on the line so it is what it is but it is really unfortunate for the game when all these star players sit out. This basically decimates the Purdue offense without their Top QB, WR, and TE.

Yep, doubt that it helps them prepare.

Pretty though sure that their chance of getting hurt in a Bowl Game is much greater than getting hurt during that preparation.

Only other thing about the game. Every time an SEC school that has high aspirations loses a non-playoff Bowl Game their excuse is always how they "just can't get excited" for a regular Bowl game.

LSU certainly can't use that excuse now.

Seems to me that it would be very possible to prep for the draft AND play in the game if you are willing to do your prep on campus as opposed to going to some training site somewhere to try and shave a fraction of a second off your 40 time so that the scouts will be totally fooled and see you as a completely different player.
It’s about injury risk and … just going home rather than school I suspect.

Each individual makes their call. People are risk averse.

Mistake for them. the whole opting out is crap. Unless your top 10, get your ass out there and play hard, no pride in team or yourself and it shows you don't care about the next team either.
Nobody in the NFL cares what you care for your last team.

They’re happy to draft or trade for criminals… if they run fast, throw gud.

There also isn’t proof that opting out hurts their draft stock or that a great bowl game helps their draft stock. I don’t think risking injury makes sense. Don’t want to see guys opt out but doesn’t really change my experience as a fan.

Mistake for them. the whole opting out is crap. Unless your top 10, get your ass out there and play hard, no pride in team or yourself and it shows you don't care about the next team either.

Same thing for the coaches?

It’s about injury risk and … just going home rather than school I suspect.

Each individual makes their call. People are risk averse.
I fully understand why it happens but doesn't change the fact that it is an unfortunate trend.

Lol, Purdue has their best season in ages and the coaching staff & squad are like “…byeee”

There also isn’t proof that opting out hurts their draft stock or that a great bowl game helps their draft stock. I don’t think risking injury makes sense. Don’t want to see guys opt out but doesn’t really change my experience as a fan.
I agree with what you said except the last part about it not changing your experience as a fan. It changes it tremendously for me. It definitely makes it less enjoyable when guys who have made your team successful the whole year leave for a big bowl game. This would be like 2019 and now Bateman, Johnson, Winfield and Morgan all opted out. I’d definitely be disappointed as they would be much less likely to have a chance to win against the mighty
S. E. C.

It's almost like they should wait for coaching decisions and opt-outs before setting the bowl schedule. There's the old saying "they play the games for a reason" which means anything can happen, but given these decisions by the Purdue players, I don't see this as being much of a game.

Jones could sneak into Day 2 of the 2023 NFL draft (Rounds 2 and 3), but O'Connell and Durham are Day 3 guys. Not seeing this big advantage in sitting out for the latter two.

I would add that showcasing your talents against high quality competition might have more of an impact on bettering yourself in the draft.

I would add that showcasing your talents against high quality competition might have more of an impact on bettering yourself in the draft.

In theory yeah. Happens all the time in College Basketball. Not so much in football. Maybe a player has moved up a little or a small school guy can catch a little extra interest but the NFL prides itself on over scouting.

Guessing their Draft Room people would rather quit then admit they didn't know of a FBS player who does well in a Bowl Game.;)

Lol, Purdue has their best season in ages and the coaching staff & squad are like “…byeee”
Yep, I dislike Purdue and their fans as much as the next Gopher after enduring their run of games in the W column against us over Mason's tenure...however...this has to be a real nutkick to fans for what really constitutes a break-out year for them on paper.

Stepping back to the modern football era of the B1G, Minnesota appears to be one of the more "stable" programs at this minute...at least for the teams that constitute The West (and the rabble chimes in...Long Live The West!...). I guess we'd better make sure we're enjoying it...

Back to Purdon't, I've got a retired Purdue buddy who lives here in the TC and is as good a Gophers fan as any after his Boilers. Probably need to reach out and check his state of mind. They really had high hopes for Brohm when he came on board. As I've said before, he's the unhappiest looking coach I think I've ever noticed.

Why risk getting hurt in a game that even your own coach didn't want to coach in? NFL scouts already have plenty of tape on these guys so bowl games have very little upside for the players, in my opinion.

I agree with what you said except the last part about it not changing your experience as a fan. It changes it tremendously for me. It definitely makes it less enjoyable when guys who have made your team successful the whole year leave for a big bowl game. This would be like 2019 and now Bateman, Johnson, Winfield and Morgan all opted out. I’d definitely be disappointed as they would be much less likely to have a chance to win against the mighty
S. E. C.
I don’t really get attached to players. I root for the team. Of course I like guys that are good but just as happy to see Brockington or Geary as I would be Autman-Bell. Beating Auburn was fun. I was row 1 for it. But ultimately I didn’t care who decided to play.

Unfortunate for… fans?
Unfortunate for everyone. Contrary to what has become the common belief, college football is not the minor leagues for the NFL. Most college players will never take a single snap in the NFL and the extremely small percentage that do make it won't last long.

These players aren't given scholarships to get them ready for the NFL they are given scholarships to play ball for the school.

When guys opt out it hurts their team, it is disappointing for fans, and it weakens the product on the field.

I get why they do it but it is truly unfortunate that it has become such a common occurrence.

Unfortunate for everyone. Contrary to what has become the common belief, college football is not the minor leagues for the NFL. Most college players will never take a single snap in the NFL and the extremely small percentage that do make it won't last long.

These players aren't given scholarships to get them ready for the NFL they are given scholarships to play ball for the school.

When guys opt out it hurts their team, it is disappointing for fans, and it weakens the product on the field.

I get why they do it but it is truly unfortunate that it has become such a common occurrence.
This just reads like a laundry list if tidbits / factoids that don't have anything to do with the choice to opt in or out.

Like:
Contrary to what has become the common belief, college football is not the minor leagues for the NFL.

So what? Is that relevant to a player who wants to take his shot?

And ... so they have to play?

None of those bits matter if we respect the players choice. Not a single one.

You either respect their choice as an adult and move on, or in this case yammer about how something "weakens the product" and so on.

Bemoaning "the product" every time someone opts out is not respecting their choice.

This just reads like a laundry list if tidbits / factoids that don't have anything to do with the choice to opt in or out.

Like:

So what? Is that relevant to a player who wants to take his shot?

And ... so they have to play?

None of those bits matter if we respect the players choice. Not a single one.

You either respect their choice as an adult and move on, or in this case yammer about how something "weakens the product" and so on.

Bemoaning "the product" every time someone opts out is not respecting their choice.
You can respect the players right to opt out and still not like it.

Have said all along that I understand why guys do it, I just think it is unfortunate that so many choose to.

You can respect the players right to opt out and still not like it.

Have said all along that I understand why guys do it, I just think it is unfortunate that so many choose to.
Why? Their screaming, jackass of a coach quit on them. Why should the players hang around?

Top Bottom