Aidan O'Connell, Charlie Jones, Payne Durham and cb Trice all opting out of Orlando Bowl vs LSU

Why? Their screaming, jackass of a coach quit on them. Why should the players hang around?
My take on guys opting out is not specific to the Purdue guys. And in all cases I get why they do it I'm just not a fan of it.

well, on this board, I have seen people talk about how "meaningless" most bowl games are outside of the playoff games or the major Jan 1st games.

so, in that sense, if a player decides not to participate, that player apparently sees the game as 'meaningless' also. I guess the big issue is risk of injury. whatever the odds are, the idea that Player X could blow out his knee in the Who-Ha Bowl, and go from a 2nd round pick to undrafted, is a risk that some are not willing to take.

and by going into the pre-combine workout program, they see a chance to enhance their draft status.

what this does for me is shift the calendar. Instead of the Bowl Game being the end of the season, it really becomes the start of the next season as younger players and backups get a chance to show what they can do. and that's fine.

what this does for me is shift the calendar. Instead of the Bowl Game being the end of the season, it really becomes the start of the next season as younger players and backups get a chance to show what they can do. and that's fine.
For all non-playoff teams that really is what bowl season is all about. The practices give you a chance to really focus on the guys who will be there the following season. Obviously you still play the seniors in the game but the lead up is a great opportunity to focus on the future.

Top Bottom