Adding Speed

Gopher Gold

Reaction score
According to sid some of the fastest times were recorded by new recruits:

• Jerry Kill and his Gophers football staff have been trying to recruit speed, and an early testing of the squad showed that five of the 10 fastest times were by new recruits in school: cornerback Martez Shabazz, running back James Gillum, cornerback Briean Boddy, cornerback Jeremy Baltazar and receiver Isaac Fruechte, all junior college transfers.

Was it hand or electronically timed? Were they in pads? Wind aided? This is all junk until we know these things. No one runs that fast, ever. How dare you.

Was it hand or electronically timed? Were they in pads? Wind aided? This is all junk until we know these things. No one runs that fast, ever. How dare you.

Hand times are junk, especially ones that are given by recruits. Accept it.

That was sarcasm. I think the debates on the subject are ridiculous filler for times when we can't discuss on the field results.

What isn't junk is Kill saying that we need to get faster and then going out and recruiting faaster players. Accept it.:)

The other five racers were Kyle McAvoy, Foster Bush, Ed Olson, Tommy Olson, and Jordan Wettstein.

The other five racers were Kyle McAvoy, Foster Bush, Ed Olson, Tommy Olson, and Jordan Wettstein.

Initial topic was 5 of the top 10 times were from new student athletes. It didn't say anything about there being 10 total participants. Sounded like it was everyone participating (that is healthy at least).

Back on topic....glad to see coach Kill delivering on promises.

Tommy may move to wide out this year, after his flashes at kick returns.

Head to head against each other, under the same conditions, 5 of the newcomers placed in the top 10 on the team! That's good news!!! We're not talking about comparing times taken under widely varing conditions! The newcomers have good speed, is it game speed? time will tell, but it's a good start.

I had heard Gillum was a tough, hard-nosed runner, so it's encouraging to hear he's got some wheels too.

Tommy may move to wide out this year, after his flashes at kick returns.

Flashback to the pa guy right before the kickoff...

"Back deep for the Gophers Duane Bennett, Marcus Jones and Tommy Olson"

One of my favorite moments of the year.

I never said it was.

My comment wasn't directed at you in particular but to this never ending conversation. There are a lot people here who are from Missouri and need to be "shown" before they will accept anything. Jerry is clearly recruiting speed and I don't need a bunch of hand times, electronic times, and atomic times to know that we are and will continue to get faster. That is what is important!

I read that as, of the people that are on campus now, 5 of the top 10 were newcomers. I don't think this has anything to do with what their Rivals page says their 40 time is. Also, if Gillium is one of the top 10 that is very impressive and encouraging.

What I like to hear, hopefully we notice it on Saturdays this fall as well

Just what we need faster DB's. Plus #11 is coming back with some wheels. Fr Harbison was clocked @ 4.2 - 40.

Just what we need faster DB's. Plus #11 is coming back with some wheels. Fr Harbison was clocked @ 4.2 - 40.

Not to catalyst another 40 talk, but 4.2 wouldn't be an unheard of 40 time for a high school receiver if it was hand-timed. Add +.24 to get 4.44. 4.44 is rare, but not unheard of for a (usually 5 star) speed receiver. Unfortunately, Harbison is a 3 star possession receiver, so 4.2 is a comically absurd 40 time, even if it is handheld.

dpodoll68 said:
Please don't type things like this.
I will type it if I want - I believe there is something to show for clocked times.

in general we're a pretty slow team so this doesn't tell me all that much since its not like they have tough competition.

RoyalGopher said:
Not to catalyst another 40 talk, but 4.2 wouldn't be an unheard of 40 time for a high school receiver if it was hand-timed. Add +.24 to get 4.44. 4.44 is rare, but not unheard of for a (usually 5 star) speed receiver. Unfortunately, Harbison is a 3 star possession receiver, so 4.2 is a comically absurd 40 time, even if it is handheld.
Not at all....a kid can be a 4.2 or for your sake a 4.4 and still not have the quality moves\skills or even catches TD stats of a 4 star recruit. So you are going to give a recruit stars just on his 40 time?

dpodoll68 said:
Nobody clocked him running a 40 at anything close to a 4.2. Sorry.
Oh Sorry and you are a freakin expert on 40 times and being clocked...please!!!!

Oh Sorry and you are a freakin expert on 40 times and being clocked...please!!!!

Nope. Never said that I was. I am well-read and have common sense. You can post whatever you want, but posting ridiculous 40 times (and defending them, nonetheless) will destroy whatever credibility you have.

Nope. Never said that I was. I am well-read and have common sense. You can post whatever you want, but posting ridiculous 40 times (and defending them, nonetheless) will destroy whatever credibility you have.

Keep thinking that guys can't run a 40 in the 4.2's. I've seen it done on more than 1 occasion and yes those are hand held times.

Top Bottom