Adam Rittenberg: Midseason review: Minnesota

Two interesting tidbits in this article.
#2 Pantherhawk has the only two comments.

This doesn't surprise me, even this early in the day he can post from his mom's basement.

Why even bother giving ANYONE on our team an MVP award??? Especially on offense! We're freakin' 1-4, and if it wasn't for MTSU's QB being the 2nd coming of Art Schlichter we'd be 0-5.

Giving Weber an MVP award is an insult to the awardees on the other 10 BT teams. Actually, it speaks volumes about what a FAIL Brewster's recruiting has been that Weber would win such an award. I could draw a parallel to winning a medal at a certain athletic competition, but that would be too politically incorrect, even for me.

I assume the Weber Myth Engineers(tm) are going to hate this post.

Why even bother giving ANYONE on our team an MVP award??? Especially on offense! We're freakin' 1-4, and if it wasn't for MTSU's QB being the 2nd coming of Art Schlichter we'd be 0-5.

Giving Weber an MVP award is an insult to the awardees on the other 10 BT teams. Actually, it speaks volumes about what a FAIL Brewster's recruiting has been that Weber would win such an award. I could draw a parallel to winning a medal at a certain athletic competition, but that would be too politically incorrect, even for me.

Step back from the ledge, and take a deep breath.

Um, the offense has been better than the defense this year.

Jump!

That's like saying "gee, having cancer is better than contracting a case of Ebola". News flash: we're ranked 114th out of 120 FBS teams. You don't achieve an honor like that without being completely blowful on both sides of the ball.

If you have a really, really awful defense, yes you can indeed. You cannot conclude from the Gophers ranked extremely low that the offense must be bad. The offense has done OK, the defense has just been unimaginably bad.

If you have a really, really awful defense, yes you can indeed. You cannot conclude from the Gophers ranked extremely low that the offense must be bad. The offense has done OK, the defense has just been unimaginably bad.

If you mean by "OK" being ranked about 8th offensively in the BT(11), I guess you're right. I would call that mediocre, or maybe even poor. I couldn't find any national stats. But that's nothing to be proud of on offense. And yes, defensively we are an abomination in these rankings. The only reason we aren't 11th is that Michigan sucks even worse.

If you mean by "OK" being ranked about 8th offensively in the BT(11), I guess you're right. I would call that mediocre, or maybe even poor. I couldn't find any national stats. But that's nothing to be proud of on offense. And yes, defensively we are an abomination in these rankings. The only reason we aren't 11th is that Michigan sucks even worse.

If the defense was any good, the offense would have at least 3 more possessions per game, which would raise their stats to about middle of the Big 10.

Look at the bright side

- We're the best team in the bottom 7 of Division 1 FBS - the best division in the country!
- The defense is young and improving every week!
- The team is light years ahead of where it was 4 years ago!
- We're just a few plays away from 6-0!

If the defense was any good, the offense would have at least 3 more possessions per game, which would raise their stats to about middle of the Big 10.

Chicken or the egg? The offense is already top 10 in time of possession but still can't put up the points. Average is about 26 ppg but if you subtract between 21-28 points of garbage time scores it is more like 21 ppg. The offense has plenty of opportunities and probably wouldn't be ranked much higher with a couple extra series per game.

That's like saying "gee, having cancer is better than contracting a case of Ebola". News flash: we're ranked 114th out of 120 FBS teams. You don't achieve an honor like that without being completely blowful on both sides of the ball.

I just found it odd that you said "especially on offense" like the offense was worse than the defense or something. The offense hasn't been good by any means, but the defense has been one of the worst in the country.

It's the Defense that has us at 1-4. The offense has been good enough to win in just about every game.

This arguement is as stupid and pointless as Brewster saying they are a couple of plays in every game from being 4-1, 5-0, etc.

The offense has only been decent when we are getting our as.s beat and the other team doesn't care anymore.

It's the Defense that has us at 1-4. The offense has been good enough to win in just about every game.

With even just last year's defense, which was halfway decent, the Gophers would be 4-2 without much question, and would have had a shot against either USC or Wisky.

Our Offense isn't that good...

So what we manage to tack on an extra TD and 100 yards during garbage time...

If our Offense was good we'd be able to move the ball when it matters, not when we're already down 2 or 3 scores & the other team lets up...

Thought

tough to win Games when your defense gives up 190+ rushing yards per game, Especially considering we have really only faced 2 teams that should have been anywhere near that (USC, wisky) its pretty demoralizing. Although it might help if the offense made an early big play here or there as well..

My roommates and I were trying to think back to when we had our last kickoff and our last punt returned for a TD..... any one know the answer for either??... I’m pretty sure we haven’t had a kickoff for a TD since before i was in school (since 2005) don’t remember the last punt return TD either.

tough to win Games when your defense gives up 190+ rushing yards per game, Especially considering we have really only faced 2 teams that should have been anywhere near that (USC, wisky) its pretty demoralizing. Although it might help if the offense made an early big play here or there as well..

My roommates and I were trying to think back to when we had our last kickoff and our last punt returned for a TD..... any one know the answer for either??... I’m pretty sure we haven’t had a kickoff for a TD since before i was in school (since 2005) don’t remember the last punt return TD either.

Jay Thomas had a kickoff return vs. FAU in 2007. Not sure about a punt return.

Luke Leverson had a punt return td a few years back against Ill.

Luke Leverson had a punt return td a few years back against Ill.
1999. I figured there had to be one after that, but I was wrong. Punt return TDs aren't exactly commonplace, but you'd think the Gophers could at least get one each decade.

Top Bottom