Adam Rittenberg blog: Q&A: Minnesota coach Jerry Kill

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure wasn't a very "deceitful", "shady", and "untruthful" Tim Brewster who called me on almost all ( approximately 10 phone calls) of my off weeks during 6 months of chemotherapy last year to check in and send his well wishes.

DMB calm down, life will be a lot easier

Even when it's right there in black and white you still don't believe it. Your defending Brewster based on a technicality? He lied about his record as a coach, it's that simple.
You are correct!

A new pastor was visiting the homes of his parishioners.

At one house it seemed obvious that someone was at home, but no answer came to his repeated knocks at the door. Therefore, he took out a card and wrote "Revelation 3:20" on the back of it and stuck it in the door.

When the offering was processed the following Sunday, he found that his card had been returned. Added to it was this cryptic message, Genesis 3:10."

Reaching for his Bible to check out the citation, he broke up in gales of laughter.

Revelation 3:20 begins "Behold, I stand at the door and knock." Genesis 3:10 reads, "I heard your voice in the garden and I was afraid, for I was naked."

A new pastor was visiting the homes of his parishioners.

At one house it seemed obvious that someone was at home, but no answer came to his repeated knocks at the door. Therefore, he took out a card and wrote "Revelation 3:20" on the back of it and stuck it in the door.

When the offering was processed the following Sunday, he found that his card had been returned. Added to it was this cryptic message, Genesis 3:10."

Reaching for his Bible to check out the citation, he broke up in gales of laughter.

Revelation 3:20 begins "Behold, I stand at the door and knock." Genesis 3:10 reads, "I heard your voice in the garden and I was afraid, for I was naked."

:clap:

To break it down for DMB and other Brew demonizers:

His claim of his coaching record is absolutely true. Read very carefully, because it's obvious that while you claim others fail at reading comprehension, you are the one with the problem: If the record claimed was his HEAD coaching record, you absolutely would have a valid argument and beef.

But that's NOT what he claimed. His coaching record is what it is.

And DMB, dpo picked the CRAP out of your list and your refute was EXTREMELY weak. You posted how much a slimeball and a liar Brew was, and listed a bunch of reasons for your opinion. dpo pointed out, effectively, how wrong your list was. And your refute was a complete backpedal? Seriously dude?

Brew was a poor head coach, completely in over his head, and didn't have a clue as to what he was doing. But he wasn't the slimeball liar you are (poorly) making him out to be.

There is enough about Tim Brewster to bash without making things up or blaming him for things outside of his control.

Blaming him for the 2007 class only having 5 guys left is absolutely silly. It makes no sense whatsoever. That isn't me defending him, i'm just speaking logically.

For example, if someone wrote an article that said Bin Laden was responsible for the Holocaust and I said..."no he wasn't". It wouldn't be me defending Bin Laden, it's calling BS...BS

For the record, Tim Brewster was a terrible coach and he deserved to be fired. There is no defending him on that front. He failed at a lot of things (recruiting classes that weren't hurt by attrition, building an identity, developing players, etc.). However, he had virtually no chance to do anything but play most of the 2007 class. Most of the members of that class who didn't stick were Mase guys.

Whoa! What happened to the original post? If you remember I was a strong supporter of Brewster as I thought he could do some things well. Coaching wasn't one of them as I would later learn after watching Horton/Kill take over. Time to move on and piss on all the trolls etc., good by.

It sure wasn't a very "deceitful", "shady", and "untruthful" Tim Brewster who called me on almost all ( approximately 10 phone calls) of my off weeks during 6 months of chemotherapy last year to check in and send his well wishes.DMB calm down, life will be a lot easier

+1 This!

You can say he sucked as a coach, but he did work hard and truly cared about the program. Brewster and his staff were ALWAYS willing to visit someone who was sick. He wasn't even on the job two weeks and he not only signed a ball to give to a person in the hospital, but asked that info regarding where the person was hospitalized be forwarded to his assistant so he could visit. The guy didn't even have an apartment yet, but he wanted to check in and raise a persons spirits. I

I just don't understand why some people wanted him to fail so badly. How can one be a Gopher fan and yet want coaching staff after coaching staff to fail just so they could say they were right? Furthermore why are we still ripping on him? This is now Kill's team and we are about to start a new season full of hope for the future. Why dwell on the past?

Minus the Maturi and Bruinicks rants, I'm starting to think that Wren has a point.:(

You know, STP, I think it becomes a situation where people become obsessed with being "right" and only see things in black and white. From my time on this board, i've been called a Mason-hater, a Mason-apologist, a Brew backer, a Brew-apologist, mocked for drinking Kill's Kool Aid and been a naysayer. There are a certain camp of people that can't have an argument beyond a very shallow level.

There are terrible coaches who tried hard and were decent people. There are terrible coaches who have done some things well. And there are great coaches who have faults and need to improve in areas.

Some people would rather sanctify every aspect and every coaching technique of some people and demonize every single aspect of someone who might have failed.

You know, STP, I think it becomes a situation where people become obsessed with being "right" and only see things in black and white. From my time on this board, i've been called a Mason-hater, a Mason-apologist, a Brew backer, a Brew-apologist, mocked for drinking Kill's Kool Aid and been a naysayer. There are a certain camp of people that can't have an argument beyond a very shallow level.

There are terrible coaches who tried hard and were decent people. There are terrible coaches who have done some things well. And there are great coaches who have faults and need to improve in areas.

Some people would rather sanctify every aspect and every coaching technique of some people and demonize every single aspect of someone who might have failed.

Well stated! Couldn't have said it better if I tried.

We forget that the likes of Shanahan, Martz(as assistants) and others once coached here. I won't be surprised if Brewster and members of his staff have success elsewhere. It's not just the coaches. This is a tough gig. What gives me hope is Kill is bringing something that has been lacking for quite sometime in Gopherland. A staff that has been together for years on BOTH sides of the ball. That alone gives me hope. I also like that Kill is stating that this is our team. I hope people remember that before piling on him when we have a few hiccups along the way.

Anyway, The season is almost here. It will be nice to see the team in action and watch the team progress as the season unfolds.

This should be framed and brought out every time history gets changed to push shallow agendas. To some, a failed coach is a sub-human and they are willing to alter history to push that agenda and paint anyone that disagrees as an "apologist." Brewster is a decent dude that failed as the head coach at the 'U'. That failure doesn't make him a slime ball, jerk, a-hole, etc.

Sanity is nice.

Kill's here now, he's got a plan, he's going to give it his best just like every coach(failed or successful) has. If he succeeds we'll all love him forever. If he fails on the field(no matter how badly)he's still not a slimeball.

Whatever happened to Yahoo Serious?

I mean, the guy was on the cover of Time! I'll bet a lot of posters here have never even heard of him.

Nope, still not a lie. Was not, and is not, a lie. You can even call it duplicitous, disingenuous, or beguiling if you want. A statement of fact, by definition, cannot be a lie.

Dude come on. Technically you're correct, it wasn't a lie. But YOU'RE the one being disingenous about this. Brewster was clearly misleading people about his record. It was embarrassing.

Dude come on. Technically you're correct, it wasn't a lie. But YOU'RE the one being disingenous about this. Brewster was clearly misleading people about his record. It was embarrassing.

No, he wasn't. Any honest, intelligent person could figure out that he wasn't talking about his record as a head coach. It was poorly phrased at worst.

To break it down for DMB and other Brew demonizers:

His claim of his coaching record is absolutely true. Read very carefully, because it's obvious that while you claim others fail at reading comprehension, you are the one with the problem: If the record claimed was his HEAD coaching record, you absolutely would have a valid argument and beef.

But that's NOT what he claimed. His coaching record is what it is.

And DMB, dpo picked the CRAP out of your list and your refute was EXTREMELY weak. You posted how much a slimeball and a liar Brew was, and listed a bunch of reasons for your opinion. dpo pointed out, effectively, how wrong your list was. And your refute was a complete backpedal? Seriously dude?

Could not disagree with you more. Im shocked that anyone would defend his "coaching record" simply because he never actually specified it was as an assistant. He did that on purpose to decieve people. And you and others defend him because he "technically" wasn't lying? Unbelievable.

And the only reason you think dpo picked apart DMB's list is because dpo purposely lied in his reply. All those points DMB made about Brewster were not referring to how he's a liar. Only the coaching record was, and DMB is 100% correct that Brewster purposely mislead people on that. To me that equals lying.

No, he wasn't. Any honest, intelligent person could figure out that he wasn't talking about his record as a head coach. It was poorly phrased at worst.

Really? And since when do assistant coaches even have records? You don't have a record until you are a head coach. There is no such thing as an assistant coaches record. If you can't admit that it was very dishonest then you are lying to yourself.

If you do a web search for record as an assistant coach, you find a great many results, it's not at all an uncommon thing. After all, if you're going to hire a coach, you just might be interested in how the teams that he coached for performed. The paragraph is talking about his background as an assistant coach, so the statement of his record has be be read in that context.

Given that everyone who knew a football from a turnip knew that Brewster had no experience as a head coach, the assertion that Brewster was trying to fool people into thinking he had head coaching experience is not credible.

When a current HEAD COACH posts his coaching record on a website, I'd say 99.9% of people reading it would assume its a head coaching record.

And like DMB said, assistant coaches dont really have records. The head coach they were assisting at the time does.

Do you think Bret Bielema's record includes his wins as an assistant under Alavarez? Of course not!

I can't believe this is confusing to some people.

Raise your hand if you thought Brew had a head coaching record AT ALL before he was hired here (outside of high school).

If Bret Bielema posted on his website a career record of 24-12 before he ever coached a game as head coach at Wisconsin people on this board would be all over him. They would laugh at him for counting Alvarez's record as his own.

Raise your hand if you thought Brew had a head coaching record AT ALL before he was hired here (outside of high school).
Because we knew he didnt. But the "average" fan would not know his history of coaching. There were threads about this topic on many Big Ten teams boards saying what a joke it was for Brewster to post any sort of coaching record.

Do you think Bret Bielema's record includes his wins as an assistant under Alavarez? Of course not!

His wikipedia page clearly states "Head Coaching Record". Now if it just said "Coaching Record" I would make the assumption that it included the record during his entire coaching career.

You still don't get it. We all knew he had no record, but it was meant to make him look better to recruits. I'm sure most 18 year old kids weren't aware of Brewster's record and if they wanted to do some research and learn more about him they would look at his own blog and walk away thinking his career record was 113-61-1. I can't believe this is confusing to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom