Adam Rittenberg blog: Q&A: Minnesota coach Jerry Kill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Brewster defenders are vastly underestimating the amount of pure embarrassment he caused the football program, and not just because of losing to teams like Bowling Green, North Dakota State and South Dakota (all at home btw). Fans from opposing schools were laughing at us due to Brewster's antics on and off the field. Examples...
- laying on his stomach during the 2 pt conversion vs Bowling Green
- Promising Rose Bowls every time he opened his mouth
- Promising a "killer hire" for the OC position, then hiring Jedd Fisch
- Lying about his overall won/loss record on his website, actually counting wins as an assistant coach as his own.
- Flying around on a helicopter like Donald Trump to watch high school games
- Playing in the spread for two years, then 4 weeks later at the Insight.com Bowl Weber is under center with two tight ends and a full back. He actually thought we could just change schemes that easily and everything would be fine. Just like that he thought we could be a Big Ten power running team?
- Bringing up the fact that Bret Bielema didn't have a wife/girlfriend at Big Ten Media Days in Chicago as if it were a bad thing. That was just bizarre.
- Saying Kim Royston would be ready for the 1st game of 2010 when he and everyone else knew there was no chance of that happening. Just another example of his constant BS that he would spew.
- Video of him debuting the white helmets in Madison the night before the game. These are the things he cared about...white helmets of all things.

We have proof of his lying, and I stand by my slimeball comment. He was a snake oil salesman and a charlatan, recruits and their families saw right through him. High school coaches knew it too.

You have a problem man. Let it go.
None of those things you just listed make him a bad person.
If he wins games here nobody cares.
LSU's coach eats grass, obviously a slimeball.

laying on his stomach during the 2 pt conversion vs Bowling Green

Yes, that was bad. It was unprofessional and shouldn't have happened. It didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things at all. No one would've cared about it at all had he won more.

Promising Rose Bowls every time he opened his mouth

Nope. Never promised anything.

Promising a "killer hire" for the OC position, then hiring Jedd Fisch

Lying about his overall won/loss record on his website, actually counting wins as an assistant coach as his own.

Nope. Didn't lie about his overall won/loss record there or anywhere else. Just because you didn't like it doesn't make it a lie.

Flying around on a helicopter like Donald Trump to watch high school games

Nope. Didn't do it to watch games. Did it to woo a recruit. And so what? That's embarrassing? Give me a break.

Playing in the spread for two years, then 4 weeks later at the Insight.com Bowl Weber is under center with two tight ends and a full back. He actually thought we could just change schemes that easily and everything would be fine. Just like that he thought we could be a Big Ten power running team?

All of this is true. And how is any of it a lie or embarrassing? It's a sign of an ill-prepared and overmatched head coach, both of which Brewster was in spades. Still not a lie or embarrassing.

Bringing up the fact that Bret Bielema didn't have a wife/girlfriend at Big Ten Media Days in Chicago as if it were a bad thing.

How is this a lie? He was stating a fact. Probably shouldn't have done it, but not a lie, not embarrassing.

Saying Kim Royston would be ready for the 1st game of 2010 when he and everyone else knew there was no chance of that happening. Just another example of his constant BS that he would spew.

BSing is not lying. Belichick is non-committal and evasive about injuries all the time. Oh noes! Patriots should fire him! How embarrassing!

Video of him debuting the white helmets in Madison the night before the game. These are the things he cared about...white helmets of all things.

How is this a lie or embarrassing? Oregon needs to fire Chip Kelly! Boise St. needs to fire Chris Petersen! Maryland needs to fire Randy Edsall!

(P.S. I'm 99% sure Brewster wasn't even in the video. Gotta get your shot in, though!)

We have proof of his lying

No, we don't.

and I stand by my slimeball comment

Go ahead. You don't know the man at all and have no basis for this comment, but go right ahead.

He was a snake oil salesman and a charlatan, recruits and their families saw right through him. High school coaches knew it too.

Practically every single head coach at every level is a "snake oil salesman". If he won more, no one would care. High school coaches knew it so much so that he outrecruited BCS-level opponents, by far, than his predecessors dating back to at least Holtz? How could he have done if people didn't think he was a "snake oil salesman" or a "charlatan"?

You're wrong. The website said his overall record was... and then listed over 100 wins and however many losses, I can't remember the exact record it showed but it was an outright lie. It NEVER pointed out the small fact that these "wins" were as an assistant coach.

It also never said they were all as a head coach. Fact.

It accurately showed his record in coaching. Fact.

You extrapolating things to make them conform to your pre-conceived notions does not make any of this an "outright lie".

It NEVER pointed out the small fact that these "wins" were as an assistant coach.

Were you somehow under the impression that Brew came into town with a long history of head coaching experience?

It also never said they were all as a head coach. Fact.

It accurately showed his record in coaching. Fact.

You extrapolating things to make them conform to your pre-conceived notions does not make any of this an "outright lie".
Are you being serious? When a head coach's overall record is displayed it's assumed those wins and losses are AS A HEAD COACH. Are you actually making the case that it needs to be pointed out that a head coach's record doesn't include games as an assistant coach? You are really reaching with that one.

Are you being serious? When a head coach's overall record is displayed it's assumed those wins and losses are AS A HEAD COACH? Are you actually making the case that it needs to be pointed out that a head coach's record doesn't include games as an assistant coach? You are really reaching with that one.

Care to address any of the other points he made?

Yes, that was bad. It was unprofessional and shouldn't have happened. It didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things at all. No one would've cared about it at all had he won more.

Nope. Didn't lie about his overall won/loss record there or anywhere else. Just because you didn't like it doesn't make it a lie.

Nope. Didn't do it to watch games. Did it to woo a recruit. And so what? That's embarrassing? Give me a break.

All of this is true. And how is any of it a lie or embarrassing? It's a sign of an ill-prepared and overmatched head coach, both of which Brewster was in spades. Still not a lie or embarrassing.

How is this a lie? He was stating a fact. Probably shouldn't have done it, but not a lie, not embarrassing.

BSing is not lying. Belichick is non-committal and evasive about injuries all the time. Oh noes! Patriots should fire him! How embarrassing!

How is this a lie or embarrassing? Oregon needs to fire Chip Kelly! Boise St. needs to fire Chris Petersen! Maryland needs to fire Randy Edsall!

(P.S. I'm 99% sure Brewster wasn't even in the video. Gotta get your shot in, though!)

No, we don't.

Go ahead. You don't know the man at all and have no basis for this comment, but go right ahead.

Practically every single head coach at every level is a "snake oil salesman". If he won more, no one would care. High school coaches knew it so much so that he outrecruited BCS-level opponents, by far, than his predecessors dating back to at least Holtz? How could he have done if people didn't think he was a "snake oil salesman" or a "charlatan"?
Wow, you obviously didn't follow along. I never said all those things were lies, but keep putting words in my mouth. Regarding the Jedd Fisch hire, his exact words were "killer hire", so you are wrong about that. And yes, Brewster was in the video for the white helmets. He sat there in front of the entire team and pulled out a white helmet out of a bag. I saw it with my own eyes. And the Bielema thing...I never said it was a lie either. Seriously, try to follow along. You say he was stating a fact about Bielema and that makes it ok? People's reaction to Brewster talking about Bielema's love life was dead on and completely warranted. It was one of the strangest things I've ever seen a head coach bring up out of nowhere. I can't believe you can excuse that so easily.

Regarding the Jedd Fisch hire, his exact words were "killer hire", so you are wrong about that.

Actually, the exact quote was "killshot hire", and he didn't promise anything. Try harder.

Regarding the Jedd Fisch hire, his exact words were "killer hire", so you are wrong about that.
Actually, no he's not. The words were "kill shot" not killer hire. And while the emphasis on quality is the same, you also can't call it a lie since it is a subjective comment. Your version of a kill shot hire can differ greatly from mine. Not agreeing with him doesn't mean he lied. You seem to have trouble with the concept that words have meanings and that you don't get to twist them to suit your agenda just because.

As an aside...dpdoll, you can be a nit-picky SOB but when you do it to posters with blatant and ridiculous agendas it often produces gold.

Actually, the exact quote was "killshot hire", and he didn't promise anything. Try harder.
You continue to reach. As if there's a difference between "killer hire" and "killshot hire". My point is that he talked so big all the time about everything and never delivered which is what made him such a clown.

People keep saying that if he won here no one would care about all that stuff. Well no sh!t sherlock! The point is losing coaches usually don't act like that. And the ones that do are rightfully ridiculed as the jokes they are.

You continue to reach. As if there's a difference between "killer hire" and "killshot hire". My point is that he talked so big all the time about everything and never delivered which is what made him such a clown.
Yea, and none of this makes him guilty of lying or being a slimeball. Which are the 2 clownish tags you assigned him without anything to back it up.

Remember when this was a thread about the Kill interview with Rittenberg? Yeah...that was awesome.

Actually, no he's not. The words were "kill shot" not killer hire. And while the emphasis on quality is the same, you also can't call it a lie since it is a subjective comment. Your version of a kill shot hire can differ greatly from mine. Not agreeing with him doesn't mean he lied. You seem to have trouble with the concept that words have meanings and that you don't get to twist them to suit your agenda just because.
Where did I ever say he lied about that? I said he made a big statement like he always did and couldn't back it up, which he could never do.

Actually, no he's not. The words were "kill shot" not killer hire. And while the emphasis on quality is the same, you also can't call it a lie since it is a subjective comment. Your version of a kill shot hire can differ greatly from mine. Not agreeing with him doesn't mean he lied. You seem to have trouble with the concept that words have meanings and that you don't get to twist them to suit your agenda just because.[/QUOTE]

You seem to have trouble with simple reading comprehension.

Where did I ever say he lied about that? I said he made a big statement like he always did and couldn't back it up, which he could never do.

From the interview:

Jerry Kill: The biggest thing is when you take over a new team, you go through spring ball, but they haven't been through two-a-day camp with you. They're not familiar with what you do and how you do things. So getting everybody into a routine and familiar with the way we approach things, it's been a challenge but the kids have handled it pretty well.

The demonization of Tim Brewster since he was hired to replace Mason has been absolutely outrageous. He is just one more failed coach among thousands of college football coaches who have lost their jobs over the years. And it should go without saying that he is just more in a long line of Gopher Head Coaches who have failed to turn the Golden Gophers into a winning program since 1967.

Brewster probably dreamed about being a Big 10 head coach since he was in college at Illinois and he came to Minnesota with incredible desire and energy to turn around a 40-year losing program. Based on everything I saw and read he spent every waking moment of his time trying to recruit the best players he could and turn the Gophers into a winning program. He failed just like every other Gopher coach since Murray Warmath.

During Brewster's four seasons in Minnesota the Gophers had one Top 25 recruiting class, played in two bowl games, did not have any significant recruiting violations, improved the team's academic performance, and avoided any personal scandals. Anyone with an ounce of class would thank Brewster for his hard work and wish him well in the future. Any blame for the previous four years of Gophers football belongs with Bruininks and Maturi and not someone who worked his ass off and tried everything he could think of to win a Big 10 Championship for Gopher fans everywhere.

blogthing.png

He is gone, let it go....but I found him to be very deceitful. All my friends down here in Texas thought that was pretty shady

Wasn't there a coach who was hired this year who listed his record as an assistant coach, just as Brewster did? I don't remember which coach it was, but there wasn't this tempest in a teapot about it. Anyone who isn't grinding an axe knew that that wasn't talking about his record as a head coach. His statement was at worst poorly phrased.

blogthing.png

He is gone, let it go....but I found him to be very deceitful. All my friends down here in Texas thought that was pretty shady

Exactly, anyone with a brain knows that was a lie and very shady of Brewster. Thanks for providing the facts, dpdoll will not be happy with you though.

Wasn't there a coach who was hired this year who listed his record as an assistant coach, just as Brewster did? I don't remember which coach it was, but there wasn't this tempest in a teapot about it. Anyone who isn't grinding an axe knew that that wasn't talking about his record as a head coach. His statement was at worst poorly phrased.
So just because another coach lied about his record makes it ok?

And the bolded part, are you serious? We all know it wasn't his head coaching record because we knew he wasn't a head coach. But anyone who didn't know better would clearly think that was his actual record as a head coach, which is exactly what he was trying to accomplish. That was a flat out lie to make him look better to recruits, it's that simple. My God people, pull your heads out of your asses.

Nope, still not a lie. Was not, and is not, a lie. You can even call it duplicitous, disingenuous, or beguiling if you want. A statement of fact, by definition, cannot be a lie.

You can even call it duplicitous, disingenuous, or beguiling if you want.
If he doesn't know what a lie is then I don't think he's going to know what these are either. Just saying, know your audience dp. ;)

So just because another coach lied about his record makes it ok?

And the bolded part, are you serious? We all know it wasn't his head coaching record because we knew he wasn't a head coach. But anyone who didn't know better would clearly think that was his actual record as a head coach, which is exactly what he was trying to accomplish. That was a flat out lie to make him look better to recruits, it's that simple. My God people, pull your heads out of your asses.

You should have provided Maturi with this kind of valuable information several years ago. It could have very well prevented a less-than-effective head coaching hire.

What were you thinking back then? You kept something like this all to yourself for THIS long??

Nope, still not a lie. Was not, and is not, a lie. You can even call it duplicitous, disingenuous, or beguiling if you want. A statement of fact, by definition, cannot be a lie.

Even when it's right there in black and white you still don't believe it. Your defending Brewster based on a technicality? He lied about his record as a coach, it's that simple.

The winner of the Pi$$ing Contest in this thread is.................................

DMB123

Sorry dpodoll, you came in second.

This is really what keeps me in refereeing after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom