Absolutely Embarrassing By All the Non-Students

awag777

Second Row of Williams Arena
Reaction score
Before anyone discounts this as a whiny, spur of the moment post-loss tirade, I'll say that I was discussing this very post with 10 minutes left with the Gophers up 6. I was absolutely outraged at the show of energy (or lack thereof) by everyone outside the student section.

The Student Section got criticized all week for their "F--- Bo Ryan" chant, and the consensus was that the Students would be more than happy to give a thundering "Let's Go Gophers" if all the tools in the rest of the seats would actually get off their feet and show some freaking energy. That was absolutely not the case tonight. There was a positively insulting post earlier about "do we have a student section?" Yes, we were quiet after starting the game (I forget what it was) 12-2 (or whatever). But the question I pose to you: WHERE WAS EVERYONE ELSE. I was ranting at the fact that it practically looked like everyone outside the student section was sitting on their hands. Only when the Gophers stormed back into the lead in the second half did anyone give a damn about the game. Perhaps the most outrageous moment: Ralph was awarded the "heart of the game award" and the students (who had been shouting "Ralph Sampson *clap clap clap clap clap*") went nuts for him--Did ANYONE ELSE give him a standing O? No. Everyone sat on their hands. The band started playing the rouser after the ad was done, and only then did people reluctantly get out of their seats. I called it the "Reluctant Rouser". Was it loud when it needed to be? Absolutely? But the students were the ones providing 95% of the energy for 90% of the game. I'm done "negotiating" with anyone above the age of thirty and letting them be the judge of what's classy and what's acceptable and why the student section sucks or why we aren't loud enough. Look in the mirror before you point a finger towards that end of the court. We were beckoning you to get on your feet when they deserved a standing ovation. Did all of you have torn ACL's? Robbie freaking Hummel stood up to applaud his team more often than you tools got on your feet. We showed up tonight, you did not. End of story.

Tough loss, no doubt, but I would've made this post in the event of a win as well.

Not true. The place was shaking around me.

Before anyone discounts this as a whiny, spur of the moment post-loss tirade, I'll say that I was discussing this very post with 10 minutes left with the Gophers up 6. I was absolutely outraged at the show of energy (or lack thereof) by everyone outside the student section.

The Student Section got criticized all week for their "F--- Bo Ryan" chant, and the consensus was that the Students would be more than happy to give a thundering "Let's Go Gophers" if all the tools in the rest of the seats would actually get off their feet and show some freaking energy. That was absolutely not the case tonight. There was a positively insulting post earlier about "do we have a student section?" Yes, we were quiet after starting the game (I forget what it was) 12-2 (or whatever). But the question I pose to you: WHERE WAS EVERYONE ELSE. I was ranting at the fact that it practically looked like everyone outside the student section was sitting on their hands. Only when the Gophers stormed back into the lead in the second half did anyone give a damn about the game. Perhaps the most outrageous moment: Ralph was awarded the "heart of the game award" and the students (who had been shouting "Ralph Sampson *clap clap clap clap clap*") went nuts for him--Did ANYONE ELSE give him a standing O? No. Everyone sat on their hands. The band started playing the rouser after the ad was done, and only then did people reluctantly get out of their seats. I called it the "Reluctant Rouser". Was it loud when it needed to be? Absolutely? But the students were the ones providing 95% of the energy for 90% of the game. I'm done "negotiating" with anyone above the age of thirty and letting them be the judge of what's classy and what's acceptable and why the student section sucks or why we aren't loud enough. Look in the mirror before you point a finger towards that end of the court. We were beckoning you to get on your feet when they deserved a standing ovation. Did all of you have torn ACL's? Robbie freaking Hummel stood up to applaud his team more often than you tools got on your feet. We showed up tonight, you did not. End of story.

Tough loss, no doubt, but I would've made this post in the event of a win as well.

Okay... you guys did great... but so I cheered my rear off the entire game and I am 41 years old ...

are you referring to yourself? check yourself bro.

anyways, i am not a student (i am 30), but i actually think there is a lot of truth to what he/she said. there is a lot needless and petty finger pointing that goes on by the "older" fans towards the student section and their actions, but there is almost zero accountability by the "older" fans who do a lot of this whining and who usually take their cues from the student section on when to get up and cheer.

The problem with coming on here and blaming the people at the game is that the ones who were not cheering i would bet do not post on this message board. The older people who do cheer are the ones on the board who are die hard gopher fans. Instead of sending emails to the student section about not throwin f-bombs maybe the athletic department should send emails to all season ticket holders telling them to be loud at the game.

I think they should send a snail mail to the non student fans and let them know how much they suck. Then they may get the message.

Instead of sending emails to the student section about not throwin f-bombs maybe the athletic department should send emails to all season ticket holders telling them to be loud at the game.

+500000.

Also, I'm not directing blame at people on the board who are sitting in their living rooms yelling at the TV. Obviously it's pointed at anyone AT THE GAME. There were a handful of people who were begging their sections to get up and give a standing O when one was in order, but the vast, vast, vast majority of people sat on their hands. Poor guys prolly got told "hey down in front, can't see the game, sit down".

The problem with coming on here and blaming the people at the game is that the ones who were not cheering i would bet do not post on this message board. The older people who do cheer are the ones on the board who are die hard gopher fans. Instead of sending emails to the student section about not throwin f-bombs maybe the athletic department should send emails to all season ticket holders telling them to be loud at the game.

problem is there are not too many things harder to change than a bunch of reluctant, passive-agressive, stubborn, stuck-in-their-ways middle-aged and older minnesotans. they have the type of lame personality that takes some kind of stupid, mis-placed pride in refusing to get up and cheer during most of the game.

I can't believe this thread. The Barn was rocking for much of the game. Really all you can ask from a crowd. Nothing to this. I need something fo rmy sore throat.

Purdue fans were mostly in Section 211 where you are really close to the private suites and the 3-4 suites closest to our section were all watching the Canada/Russia hockey game and not paying any attention to the basketball game.

Why start an overrated chant with 6 minutes to play? Our student section is "overrated" by many in it. Be glad you have the seats you do, when I was in the school the student section was on section of what you have now and two in the upper deck. The student section is ok at times but vastly overrated by its members. Do students get to change seats each game? Why do the same people always get the front row. When I went to school we had assigned seats, I was in the upper deck one year, is it game by game?

I can't believe this thread. The Barn was rocking for much of the game. Really all you can ask from a crowd. Nothing to this. I need something fo rmy sore throat.
Agreed. Some people need to whine no matter what. Our section was nuts. Get rid of the stupid promotions and all will be well.

Why start an overrated chant with 6 minutes to play? Our student section is "overrated" by many in it. Be glad you have the seats you do, when I was in the school the student section was on section of what you have now and two in the upper deck. The student section is ok at times but vastly overrated by its members. Do students get to change seats each game? Why do the same people always get the front row. When I went to school we had assigned seats, I was in the upper deck one year, is it game by game?

Are you serious? Where was the overrated chant? The tickets are general admission. Same people get the front row because the Barnyard Board is the front row. Same kids are in the second row because they get there early to every game.

If we ever get moved to part of the upper deck and they take away part of the lower deck it'll be an absolutely travesty.

are you referring to yourself? check yourself bro.

anyways, i am not a student (i am 30), but i actually think there is a lot of truth to what he/she said. there is a lot needless and petty finger pointing that goes on by the "older" fans towards the student section and their actions, but there is almost zero accountability by the "older" fans who do a lot of this whining and who usually take their cues from the student section on when to get up and cheer.

Yes, knowing nothing about spectator sports, us forty-plus folks must look to the students to guide us through the game. Sheesh!

problem is there are not too many things harder to change than a bunch of reluctant, passive-agressive, stubborn, stuck-in-their-ways middle-aged and older minnesotans. they have the type of lame personality that takes some kind of stupid, mis-placed pride in refusing to get up and cheer during most of the game.

I'm sixty years old and have fought rheumatoid arthritis for nearly 25% of that time. There have been days when I couldn't open a door. But I've been attending Gopher games since I was eight and have no intention of staying home when I have a chance to be there. BTW, I'll use the seat I buy exactly the way I want and if you don't like it come on over and tell me, don't wait for the post-game message board.

I was at the game and I think all the fans had just a wonderful game, like our team. We almost beat the number 3 team NCAA team in the world. We have to build on this as fans and make our next game, the fans next game, even better. Afterall we are a big part in leading the Gophers to victory. As fans, we have nothing to be ashamed of.

tell those punk, azz students to show up at a football game once

they cant even fill the student section there.....bunch of candy azzez

of course they cheer big-time at the basketball games......they don't use any of it up at the football games

BTW, I'll use the seat I buy exactly the way I want and if you don't like it come on over and tell me, don't wait for the post-game message board.

Arthritis or no, this is exactly the problem that plagues the Barn.

Crowd actually was pretty decent; most revved up I've seen it in 5-6 years.

I'm not a season ticket holder but yeah the crowd was pretty good last night. I would only say that I wish people would get there on time. At the tip the place couldn't have been 3/4 full.

Just because the crowd doesn't join in every "LETS GO GOPHERS" chant, that doesn't mean they sit on their hands. I thought the crowd was better last night than it has been in years as well. I heard at least 3 or 4 people in the section I was in complain about losing their voice and that was with 5 minutes left in the game. If the Barn was like that for every game, I don't think you'd ever hear any rational person complain about the lack of a home court advantage.

As for the people in the suites watching hockey, in my experience the majority of the people in suites never really want to be there anyway so I'm not surprised.

On tv it didn't look like the crowd was doing much (other than the student section), except for a couple times like when Ralph hit the three, and Damian made the 3 pt play. The people in the lower deck between the baselines seem to sit the entire game. Pathetic.

Cheering

I sit at midcourt lower level . A few years back my daughter and I would

stand up and cheer, the people behind us would try to get us to sit down

we stood up more. Finally I told them to stand up also !!

IT WOULD BE GOOD FOR THEIR HEART !!

I fully expect the student section to be louder than the rest of the arena. When those same students turn 30 or 40 I fully expect the student section to be louder than them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- Williams Arena lost a lot of its advantage when we replaced the wooden benches with seats between the baselines. When you're sitting on a hard wooden bench for 2 hours, you're not going to mind standing. As someone who's seen and attended these games for almost 30 years, the crowd difference is very noticeable to me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- Williams Arena lost a lot of its advantage when we replaced the wooden benches with seats between the baselines. When you're sitting on a hard wooden bench for 2 hours, you're not going to mind standing. As someone who's seen and attended these games for almost 30 years, the crowd difference is very noticeable to me.

Good point. Plus the capacity dropped about 2,000.

Top Bottom