Aaron Philo Commits!!!!

My personal guess is that this will prove to be an even bigger get out of Georgia for PJ and his staff than Rashod Bateman was. And I'm hoping it starts a chain reaction of other Georgia athletes jumping in the Gopher boat.
That’s a bit aggressive considering Bateman turned out how he did. If you’re saying he’ll be a keystone guy and open up a large increase in Georgia talent, I also have a hard time buying that just given the multitude of teams competing for Georgia talent

The culture PJ is creating will win out over time the more NFL talent it produces. The fact it is creating great men, says more about it than anything else. I know college kids are unpredictable as they try and figure things out, but I seriously doubt you will see a recruiting coordinator under PJ and one of the athletes drag racing after drinking. The fact that this is the 3rd or 4th high speed arrest in the last 12 months let you know a little bit Georgia and SEC culture. I love the wins PJ is producing, but what makes me proud to support the Gophers is the results we are getting on and off the field. Welcome aboard Philo and for those who want an uplifting culture (sorry our fans are not always this way) bring them aboard. This boat is going places.

Is this guy a legitimate prospect? trying to weed though and figure out if he has more in his tank that Morgan did?

I’m a close friend of the Philo family, have known Aaron for most of his life, and have closely followed his career. First off, what’s up with all of the negative comments on social media from some of the Gophers fans, y’all? (Not quite as bad here as on Twitter) A promising kid commits to your school and the welcome he gets are a bunch of off handed comments or questions about his ability? One “fan” even made a negative comment about his picture. SMH. Rough crowd. Some weird energy going on there among certain fans. Show him some love. He’ll recruit hard for the 2024 class.

Here’s the skinny on Aaron: He’s an exceptional young man. Mature, polite, humble, a true leader with great work ethic, excellent student. Aaron possesses a quiet confidence like I have never seen, and leads by example. Great upbringing with a great family. He’s a winner, competitive, and I always say that he was born to play the position. He’s not “wishy washy” in his commitment as was previously noted. He loves the staff and they have shown him consistent love throughout the process. Minnesota has been one of his top choices, and his unofficial visit affirmed that for him, and his family. Top notch school, facilities, and people throughout the program.

Aaron the player: all I can say is watch the tape. Exceptional arm strength, accuracy, and decision making, the ball just flies out of his hand effortlessly. He would also be an D1 baseball recruit if he played (threw a perfect game in his first varsity start). Aaron is not the fastest kid, but slides in the pocket very well to extend plays and can run when needed as you’ll see on the film. Runs thru people. He consistently makes throws as good, if not better, than any other quarterback in his class and can drop the ball in on a dime anywhere on the field.

Aaron competed in the Elite 11 regional in Nashville last spring. He competed against many other top QBs in the 2023 and 2024 class. In the release time and velocity portion, he beat Jaxon Smolik (Penn State), Brock Glenn (FSU), Kenny Minchey (ND), and Nico Iamaleava (Tennessee). I’ll be happy to share the graphic from Elite 11 if anyone wants to see it. In the overall pro day results, he finished tied for second just behind CJ Carr (ND), and beat several others including Walker White (2024 Auburn commit). He’ll be back for another Elite 11 in May at the Atlanta regional. Let’s support him in that- the bigger his profile becomes, the more attention that will bring to the Minnesota program and more recruits will follow him there.

Level of competition: Prince is an elite program. Top 10 in a state that is arguably the most talent rich in the country. Aaron is 27-2 in two years as a starter, one loss coming in the 2021 state championship game against a team with a handful of D1 commits. They’ve beaten many good teams. Teams won’t schedule them out of conference because of it. Class A teams in Georgia could probably compete with higher classification teams in almost every other state. Aaron was mentored by and maintains a close friendship with Brock Vandagriff (UGA), who also led the team to a state title, and was recruited by every school in the country as a 5 star. In the state championship game this past fall, Aaron went for almost 500 yards and 6 TDs against a defense that featured Ty Adams (UNC commit) and Demelo Jones (offers from Bama, Georgia and every other major). What else do people want to see? Prince also beat state champions from Tennessee (Baylor) and South Carolina (Hammond) in their non conference schedule. The majority of the teams they faced, especially in the playoffs, featured at least one or more high D1 commits or recruits.

Aaron is a tremendous addition to your program moving forward. In my opinion, he’s being overlooked by many (this opinion is held by many others “in the know”) and will end up the process as one of the top QBs in the class when all is said and done. Just wait and see. He’s a rising star in the 2024 class and will pick up his 4th star in no time, probably after the Elite 11. Follow this kid on Twitter and show him some love and support. He’s going to do great things for the Gopher program!
My Brother - sports fans are just generally intolerable online - don't read into negativity any differently than you would the comments on a youtube video. The internet is a cesspool in many ways, but it's the anonymity that largely causes it. I am jacked about the commit and look forward to cheering Aaron on! Ski U Mah, baby!

I read a lot of negativity directed at PJ Fleck online. Gophers fans should be proud of their coach, and the direction of the program. I’ve been told he’s “authentic and genuine” and that immediately came across. Coach Harbaugh too. Recruiting is a dirty game and it’s difficult to build trust and they did so quickly. And that matters to Aaron.

PJ needs to grow in key ways, and he's also our best coach in decades. I love the guy and am hopeful he can find the missing gear to get us in Big Ten title contention. I believe. I'm entering my second season-ticket holding season, and I can say without the progress and culture Fleck has instilled, I wouldn't be a season ticket holder.

Yes, I thought you said this eddwas as a strong commitment. I guess not!

Sorry for the misspellings. I didn’t type it that way.

PJ told him that this is a marriage. We are committing to each other. I won’t recruit any other quarterbacks and you won’t entertain any other offers, calls, etc. Aaron is locked in.

Before he committed, Aaron called the coach of every single school that offered him to tell them that he was choosing Minnesota. That speaks to his character. Not many kids would do that today.
🤔

Come on uncle. Are you disappointed? Trust is important in this world.

PJ would never admit it, but it has to be frustrating as hell. So much time invested building a relationship wasted, now we don’t have a QB for this recruiting cycle.

Go back and look at how many times the uncle referenced the Elite 11 in May.

"Let's support him in that". Seems like a very strange way to word things.

"The Elite 11 in May will be a big test for him". Another strange way to word things. A big test for what?

Maybe I just read too much into it, but it just felt like a red flag from the word go. You hope commitments stick. This one didn't. Let's go find a solid QB for this class.

Well that’s disappointing. Did Georgia offer?

He visited this weekend for practice. Sounds like distance from home was more of a concern for him and his family than expected.

He visited this weekend for practice. Sounds like distance from home was more of a concern for him and his family than expected.
Then why commit this early before really checking it out? I wonder if PJ’s hard sell tactics (creating sense of urgency to make a decision) sometimes creates premature commitments. More often than not it seems to stick though.

He is a young man and initially bought into PJ's shtick and after some reflection and probably more offers he found one or two he liked better.
He did the honorable thing and notified PJ that he had changed his mind.

He is a young man and initially bought into PJ's shtick and after some reflection and probably more offers he found one or two he liked better.
He did the honorable thing and notified PJ that he had changed his mind.
Is it really necessary to take a shot at Fleck? Kids decommit all the time, I'm sure your golden boy Fickell has even had it happen to him.

Top Bottom