A response from the Big Ten Network to Minnesota Gopher fans

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
In response to frustrated Gopher fans' reaction to games being streamed online, the Big Ten Network's Mike Vest asked if we would post this response from him, on behalf of the BTN:

Dear Minnesota basketball fans,

As basketball’s regular season gets underway, we wanted to share some important information to keep in mind as it relates to our coverage of games on the Big Ten Network and BigTenNetwork.com.

More Coverage Than Anyone Else

The Big Ten Network’s streaming initiative allows every Big Ten home men’s basketball game to receive either live television or internet coverage. No other conference can say that. Every other major conference streams some games (for a fee, and most considerably more expensive) and has many games that do not receive any television or internet coverage at all.

As it has in years past, the Big Ten Network will once again televise more than 100 Big Ten men’s basketball games and more than 55 women’s basketball games during the regular season and every one of the games will be available in high definition. That means nearly 90 percent of all Big Ten regular season games will be televised.

Extra Football Game Channels

Many cable and satellite providers offer multiple Big Ten Network football games on Saturdays in the fall. However, these “Extra Football Game Channels” are only available to us during those 13 football Saturdays. That is because the non-conference basketball season overlaps with many other sports. The NHL, NBA and other regional football and basketball games are also taking place on the weekend and on weekday nights when Big Ten basketball games air. Therefore, the cable and satellite providers do not have the space to give us 4 or 5 channels.

During the conference portion of the basketball season, the Big Ten schedules games in such a way where there is no overlap. Consequently, there is no need for “Extra Football Game Channels” during the conference basketball schedule.

Rationale for Streaming

The Big Ten Network has made a significant financial investment in the latest streaming technology to bring fans the most advanced experience available, with most streamed games being of a quality that is comparable to high definition.

Each of the 11 universities sets its own non-conference basketball schedules, and thus conflicts are bound to arise.

During the regular season, the only games we stream are ones where there are conflicts with other Big Ten Network live events and exclusive ESPN windows. In other words, if ESPN is showing a Big Ten game, we are not permitted to show a game during any part of that time period.

Additionally, the network is contractually obligated to carry a certain number of Olympic sports, many of which must be scheduled over the summer before the basketball schedules are finalized.

Every Big Ten school has some streamed basketball games. To accommodate the fans of the school whose game is being streamed, we are now able to televise on delay the next day some of these games via StudentU.

For example, four of Minnesota’s five streamed basketball games have aired or will air on delay. The Minnesota-Duluth exhibition game aired on Thursday, Nov. 5, the Minnesota-Moorhead exhibition game aired on Wednesday, Nov. 11, the Stephen F. Austin game will air at noon CT on Tuesday, November 17 and the Brown game will air at 4:30pm CT on Monday, December 7.

Next year, we anticipate having most, if not all, of the games that are streamed available on delay the next day.

Fans who want to watch these games live have the option of viewing them on BigTenNetwork.com. Conversely, our contracts with the cable/satellite companies prohibit us from streaming any games that are televised live.

For tips about how to improve your streaming experience, please see our streaming FAQs.

We hope this information helps you better understand our coverage. And we look forward to covering what could become one of the very best seasons in Big Ten history.

Sincerely,

Mike Vest
Media Relations Manager
The Big Ten Network

cough......cough.......form letter. guessing a bunch of other big ten websites with pissed-off fans got the exact same letter.

Why can't they show the games locally only then similar to what ABC does for Saturday afternoon football?

Here's my response from a Minnesota Gopher fan to the BTN that I just sent. Won't do any good but a little venting is healthy.

Just read a response from BTN posted on GopherHole about not covering the Minnesota opener tonight. What a bunch of corporate bull *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#! You really didn't appease any Gopher fans and the sales pitch embedded in your "explanation" was rather insulting. There was quite the hassle in our area over providers carrying BTN when it first started, and I, like many, switched providers to make sure I got BTN. You have a monopoly so I'm not going anywhere, but your product leaves a lot to be desired.

What a great reply by the BTN.

Gee sorry Gopher Fans now that you are paying extra on your cale bill for a network that 85% of the time is garbage we now are not covering the games you used to get for free. Don't worry we have an option for you go to our website where you can pay $3.00 for each game you can't get on your television. Times are changing we appreciate your efforts for getting us on your cable providers but now its time that you fork over more cash if you want to watch your team.

Why didnt the Big Ten just put together 11 channels one dedicated to each school and make it pay per view? That way I could get the Gophers each and every night rather than sitting through an Indiana game that I could care less if they win or not.

I am now flipping over to ESPNU that has a good team on.

It appears that the BTN response did not address a very specific question I submitted to them earlier: "Will all conference teams have equal oppertunities to view live, and free, broadcasts or will some teams, like it appears Indiana may be, get special considerations?"

Yes, the official response was paththetic.

Make the streaming free to all and then the controversy disappears.

Up yours Mike Vest. I could care less how many Big 10 games you are showing this year. What I am interested in are Minnesota games and would like them shown in the local market live, not on taped delay, not over the internet.

I like how now that they have coerced every cable company to carry the B10 Network as part of regular cable they are back to selling all sorts of games to ESPN and dramatically lowering the value of their content. Highway bandits.

"Will all conference teams have equal oppertunities to view live, and free, broadcasts or will some teams, like it appears Indiana may be, get special considerations?"

Indiana and Michigan State have no games that are just streamed.

Looks like Minnesota, northwestern and penn state have the bulk.

Indiana and Michigan State have no games that are just streamed.

Looks like Minnesota, northwestern and penn state have the bulk.
Besides emails to the BTN I am also sending a few to the Gopher athletic department.

Is anyone else having "technical" difficulties with the streaming from .com. I have high speed DSL, no other running programs. The video I am getting is very jerky and sometimes stalling and then "hanging up". The audio often repeats and leaves the video behind. I have gotten "in" and "out" several times. Pitiful and certainly not worth 29 cents much less $2.99. I can watch the archive the next day and have a decent video/audio. Am I the only one having trouble?

This is total B@LL S#%T. If they are not going to broadcast then let a local channels have the rights. As Maximus stated, the Big Ten plays favorites to some of the schools. I also pay extra to have the Big Ten Channel, they got us to pester our cable or satellite providers to offer it.

Now they want me to pay extra for the "privilege" to watch the games on my computer instead of the that lousy 50" plasma in front of that cushy recliner.

The whole channel availability explanation is completely false. The BTN says the channels are only available on saturday night because of the overlapping schedules of the NHL, NBA, etc....

Well, tonight (Friday) the NHL only had 6 games scheduled and on Saturday night (when the channels are available) it has 11 games...
the NBA had 9 games on Friday and 10 games on Saturday night. And last time I checked, Baseball season is over.

I think the real reason is they have only payed to have some extra channels on certain nights and feel they can get away not broadcasting the games on the other nights.

As other have stated, most of the programing on the BTN is just filler and is more boring than reruns on the Game Show Channel!! The only reason I ever have to watch the BTN is to watch the Minnesota games. How can the BTN feel the best way to serve us is to con us into paying extra to watch our games over the internet? Do they think we are really that stupid? And don't go telling us that you do this equally to every big ten team. Not when I see every Penn State, Ohio State, etc... game on TV and I have to search to find the preseason Minnesota games.

Mike Vast is a Dave Lee
Mike Vast is a Mike Lynch
Mike Vast is a Ron Johnson
Mike Vast is Half Vast

BTN AARGH!!!

As a Men's BB season ticket holder, I have already paid some money to the Big Ten by just buying the tickets. Why not give season ticket holders free access to the streaming. Also by having the BTN on my cable, I am also paying the BTN (even though I'm a season ticket holder - 2nd $$$ hit by the BTN). By being a taxpayer I funded the internet yet they want us to pay $$$ to watch streaming. Hmmmmmmmmm now the BTN wants $$$ so I can watch the games from my computer if I am unable to attend the games due to business travel, etc. What is wrong with this picture???? The BTN chose to form and take Gopher sports away from FSN. Just like any other business the additional costs of doing business should have been considered. Instead like schools who need/want more money they threaten to take away sports knowing that it is a passion for a lot of people thereby almost certainly guaranteeing the additional $$$$.

Then 2 regular season games aren't even available for us to watch (and one is the ACC challenge game). They are being broadcast on ESPNU. Who do you know gets that channel? Certainly not me who has Comcast. I just researched and it is available only to satellite tv customers.

And the Big Ten Network helped my viewing enjoyment of Gopher basketball how?????

They are being broadcast on ESPNU. Who do you know gets that channel? Certainly not me who has Comcast. I just researched and it is available only to satellite tv customers.

Comcast subscribers get ESPNU. It's been on since about Aug 1. You probably need the digital preferred package to get it.

I have Charter and just signed up for the 'sports package' which ESPNU is on for and extra $5 per month. I will keep it just long enough for the Gopher games.

BTW it is not in HD. At least not on Charter.

Just wondering if anyone who bought the game checked their bank statements?

I was charged $2.99 + $1.01 ... whats that about? Is there a processing fee??? :eek:

Just wondering if anyone who bought the game checked their bank statements?

I was charged $2.99 + $1.01 ... whats that about? Is there a processing fee??? :eek:

21 cents is state sales tax. I don't know about the other 80 cents.

Reply to my eMail to BTN

I sent an email to BTN about them not showing the gopher game and this is the reply I got. Obviously they have no concern for showing all of the teams:

--- RESPONSE FROM BIG TEN NETWORK ---

Thanks for the email and your question.

Unfortunately, we only have access to Extra Football Game Channels on Saturdays for football so we can only televise one game. Because the 11 schools sets their own non-conference basketball schedules - we have no say in that matter - conflicts are going to happen. During the conference season, the Big Ten sets the schedule in a way where these conflicts don't happen.

The network looks for the most attractive matchup from a competition and viewership standpoint (there are more factors, but those are two of the major ones). In a situation where there are multiple games, any decision we make will leave some fan bases unhappy.

Sincerely,
Big Ten Network

Everyone should send email to BTN to voice their frustrations.

I foolishly bought the game against Tenn Tech and that was a complete ripoff. The video was awful and the announcers sounded like two guys they grabbed out of the stands. Someone should file a class action lawsuit against the BTN.

Top Bottom