A Dapper Punishment

I would guess you also didn't agree join a program that made it clear that you had to attend your classes every day?

I also missed classes, but I get that guys who joined the football team knew what was expected of them and I think they should do that thing.

PJ has people validating if they actually went to class in person or not (not an unusual thing for football programs), there is no mystery as to what is expected of them.

I'm casually pushing back on what I perceive to be an antiquated and silly expectation. As a man of my word, I aim to honor any commitment I make - so if I were on the football team (lol), I would maintain the agreement.

And as a casual 40 year old that now considers academics to be purely a game in this system we have going - yea, I find it totally ridiculous. The vast majority of majors merely require you to show up and turn something in, if you do so, you'll easily graduate with a c average. If you put a modicum of effort beyond that, you'll graduate with a good GPA.

Save for Engineering, Computer Science, and Med school - almost all majors are easy af.

I'm casually pushing back on what I perceive to be an antiquated and silly expectation. As a man of my word, I aim to honor any commitment I make - so if I were on the football team (lol), I would maintain the agreement.

And as a casual 40 year old that now considers academics to be purely a game in this system we have going - yea, I find it totally ridiculous. The vast majority of majors merely require you to show up and turn something in, if you do so, you'll easily graduate with a c average. If you put a modicum of effort beyond that, you'll graduate with a good GPA.

Save for Engineering, Computer Science, and Med school - almost all majors are easy af.

I think if you commit to joining a program that means you should go to class, means you should do that. If a player feels really strongly about not attending class, (or practicing, or eating right ... or any other rule) they made a mistake joining the program.

I'm sure plenty of players agree with you but ... they chose to play the game.

buckeyetweet.png

We had to do this when I was in 8th grade basketball. It drew a bunch of kids to join the team. We had tons of dudes sign up. A lot of the kids were from the projects, so this became a huge source of pride.
When I was younger I had to coach 7th grade basketball. One kid got in trouble in class. I made him sit in the bleachers and watch the rest of the team run. Not sure if it was the right thing to do or not, but the message was sent by the rest of the team to have that kid behave in class.

I think if you commit to joining a program that means you should go to class, means you should do that. If a player feels really strongly about not attending class, (or practicing, or eating right ... or any other rule) they made a mistake joining the program.

buckeyetweet.png

For sure dude - considering how on the brink we are of these players being NFL-lite, it gets more ludicrous by the day. But I'm a pretty big cynic about any sort of rules that I find arbitrary.
The concept of "building men" through Academics just doesn't resonate with me. But blah blah, not any intentional heat from me on a personal level with any of this.

buckeyetweet.png
Cardale Jones just proved why football players need to go to class. "Education lifts all boats." Huckleberry Finn

This post reminds me of the old "then vs now" comic where a parent asks their child:

"How did you treat your teacher today?"

and now was

"How did your teacher treat you today?"

Different generation indeed.
That was good. But at the same time, if you look at what some teachers were doing to kids back in the day, unbeknownst to parents, I'd say the latter question is FAR more important in today's world.

Plus, the teachers are kinda supposed to report to the parents, so....

I'd take it one step further. Sue the whole university, the NCAA, PJ Fleck, Glen Mason, Eric Decker. Post it on tik tok for the world to see this injustice. Call KSTP, Kare 11, CNN. Spread the word.
That's a little over the top....

I would guess you also didn't agree join a program that made it clear that you had to attend your classes every day?

I also missed classes, but I get that guys who joined the football team knew what was expected of them and I think they should do that thing.

PJ has people validating if they actually went to class in person or not (not an unusual thing for football programs), there is no mystery as to what is expected of them.
This is a good point. If they knew going in that they'd suffer for someone else doing an extremely minor thing, then I guess they get what's coming to them. I just can't for the life of me figure out why someone would sign up for it when there are other programs that don't have this requirement.

Minneapolis. Wouldn’t know a complete answer, I didn’t live there. However, we were One of the primary ESL schools and a magnet. It was located in lower NE.

Edison High School is on 22nd and Monroe in NE Mpls and had lots of ESL students over the years. I think the next closest MPS High School would be North?

For sure dude - considering how on the brink we are of these players being NFL-lite, it gets more ludicrous by the day. But I'm a pretty big cynic about any sort of rules that I find arbitrary.
The concept of "building men" through Academics just doesn't resonate with me. But blah blah, not any intentional heat from me on a personal level with any of this.
Agree 1000%

Are you saying that a rule that you have to attend class is arbitrary?

My only issue with this is college me owned 2 suits. One was a hand me down that was too small and one from my mom’s funeral. Not exactly ready for a week of classes.

Hope the boys have deeper wardrobes than I did.
The AD provides blazers.

Are you saying that a rule that you have to attend class is arbitrary?

Yup! But my original adjective, was "silly." And that probably is the more accurate descriptor for my stance on this policy.

There are already many mechanisms in place to weed students out - chiefly, academic performance, and cost. College students are adults, able to vote, able to fight and die, and in my opinion, able to determine whether they need to attend class. YMMV, but having attended both the U, and other MNSCU schools, I never struggled to do well while missing an amount of time of my choice.

You're gonna tell me you never take a BS sick day?

Yup! But my original adjective, was "silly." And that probably is the more accurate descriptor for my stance on this policy.

There are already many mechanisms in place to weed students out - chiefly, academic performance, and cost. College students are adults, able to vote, able to fight and die, and in my opinion, able to determine whether they need to attend class. YMMV, but having attended both the U, and other MNSCU schools, I never struggled to do well while missing an amount of time of my choice.

I think the difference here is they are part of a team that is paying for their education, giving them free housing, food, and training (and likely some NIL money). With that, comes some requirements.

You're probably asking the wrong person about BS sick days though as the only reason I missed a college class was for a funeral.

If these athletes want to just be "regular" college students they should quit the team and then they don't have to follow all the rules. Or find a team that doesn't have those rules. They know what they are signing up for.

PS - Jerry Kill once benched a starting RB for being late to a team meeting. This stuff isn't unique to PJ.

Last edited:

Suit and tie is the work of the devil. For a special occasion or meeting, yeah. All day is slow burn low level torture.

Were you a D1 athlete as well? These guys are not your average students and for some guys, football is the only reason they are getting this chance to go to a university like MN to begin with. I just think it might be harder for some people than others.

To me it creates this "we're in this together" mentality. Instead of having one guy on the team skipping class all the time because he can still manage a C while another guy not being able to do the same.

Minneapolis. Wouldn’t know a complete answer, I didn’t live there. However, we were One of the primary ESL schools and a magnet. It was located in lower NE. That put us at probably drawing from a lot.

I did have a buddy I stayed overnight at various spots. There were some towers that were near north by where heritage park is now. They were razed 20 years ago. They had open sky bridges between them. He also lived in Riverside plaza. Those aren’t technically public, but that’s splitting heirs.
Yes. Minneapolis and other areas throughout the country decided concentrated "poverty" wasn't good for an area.

Always curious about various ways sports motivate and help one grow.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Suit and tie is the work of the devil. For a special occasion or meeting, yeah. All day is slow burn low level torture.
Especially for linemen. Trying to find a collar size that fits can be challenging. Ties are like tourniquets for the neck. Obviously not a good idea to have a tourniquet around the neck.

Especially for linemen. Trying to find a collar size that fits can be challenging. Ties are like tourniquets for the neck. Obviously not a good idea to have a tourniquet around the neck.
I had this girlfriend who .... yeah anyway I agree.

But I gotta think the team has resources to help.

buckeyetweet.png
"On December 19, 2022, Jones signed with the Massachusetts Pirates of the Indoor Football League (IFL). On March 17, 2023, it was reported Jones had refused to report to practice for the Pirates. The Pirates announced they would be moving forward with re-signed quarterback Alejandro Bennifield. He was released on August 28, 2023."

His last job that didn't involve "Do you want fries with that?"

Top Bottom