90s music

So...Counting Crows opened for Cracker back in 93 when I met my wife. 6-9 months later...Cracker was opening for the Counting Crows (94) when they came back through town.
Neither of those shows were the one's I went to. Setlist.com has them playing in '92 at 1st Ave and those song listings look rather familiar, so that had to be the one I was at.

Kinda think they were opening for somebody, but I could be mixing that up with Camper Van. Mould or Sugar maybe, either/both?

Lemonheads, It's a Shame About Ray turns 30. I picked up the reissue over the weekend, but have not listened to it yet. Cool packaging.

Circling, back I think the remastered album sounds great.

Mrs Robinson is relegated to the Bonus track CD, not surprising given how Dando has disdained the track for several decades now. Not a whole lot essential on the Bonus CD, other than a fantastic duo acoustic version of My Drug Buddy with Juliana and a fun ABBA cover of Knowing Me, Knowing You. The demos are interesting.

Neither of those shows were the one's I went to. Setlist.com has them playing in '92 at 1st Ave and those song listings look rather familiar, so that had to be the one I was at.

Kinda think they were opening for somebody, but I could be mixing that up with Camper Van. Mould or Sugar maybe, either/both?
Ironically, I never heard of Counting Crows and didn't particularly like Cracker. Free ticket.

Ironically, I never heard of Counting Crows and didn't particularly like Cracker. Free ticket.
Well, good call on going to the show.

Speaking of free tickets 2 things I miss about 1st Ave:

- Staff handing out a couple of comp tickets when leaving the venue. Every once in a while could really strike gold, first Jayhawks show was a comp. I also probably wouldn't have checked out Jonathan Richman either.

- Playing videos before/in between sets.

Well, good call on going to the show.

Speaking of free tickets 2 things I miss about 1st Ave:

- Staff handing out a couple of comp tickets when leaving the venue. Every once in a while could really strike gold, first Jayhawks show was a comp. I also probably wouldn't have checked out Jonathan Richman either.

- Playing videos before/in between sets.
For sure. I remember grabbing multiple Teenage Fanclub tickets out of the garbage after people threw them out.

Get your tickets before they sell out. July 2nd at the Turf Club.

Here's the first song that made me aware of Buffalo Tom. Whether it was meant to be endearing or mocking they were nicknamed Dinosaur Jr Jr, as they were closely linked to J Mascis, who served as producer for their first couple albums. Performing together, the title track of their 2nd LP, Birdbrain.

Last edited:

Can't help it, but I'm a total sucker for buying buying deluxe anniversary reissues for bands/albums I revere. The 25th for R.E.M. New Adventures in Hi-Fi is quite a package. Well worth it for fanatics.

An interesting song to ponder on this Easter Sunday, here's New Test Leper

Postscript, I've always thought this was hands down their best album on the 90s. Revisiting it with this edition, my belief is reenforced.

Last edited:

One of my favorite maybe-almost-famous bands from the mid-to-late 90s is Tuscadero. Girl-led power pop punk group from Washington, D.C. I still listen to their stuff regularly; it never gets old.

Their debut LP was "The Pink Album" (1994). Raucous, profane, sexy, and very tuneful.

They followed that up with "Step Into My Wiggle Room" in 1995.

...and their last record was "My Way or the Highway" (1998). It was less edgy and more poppy, but still great songs and very listenable.

Am I the only one who remembers Tuscadero? Anybody ever see them live? I never had the pleasure.

As far as classic Cure songs go, this one checks all the boxes.

High

Song of the Day. Liz Phair, Cinco de Mayo

More Lemonheads drama. Beef with Jawbreaker.

Very odd, because I was seeing Dando's tweets in real time wondering WFT, but had no background that they had some dates cancelled in which they were supposed to open for Jawbreaker. This was a short run before the Euro dates they are playing now.

As Juliana Hatfield commented, quite a bummer the "CandyBand" tour imploded.

Evan Dando seems to be back being...well...Evan Dando.

Evan Dando seems to be back being...well...Evan Dando.
Actuallly, more like "same as it ever was", unfortunately.

To his credit, I suppose, he didn't run and hide by scrubbing his Twitter. The stuff is still out there. As for Evan himself, I did read he had a relapse and another rehab stint last summer following the death of his father.

I guess this is encouraging, and sobering.

Last edited:

Lou was long gone when this was originally recorded. Back in the fold he makes this Dinosaur Jr song even better. Start Choppin'

Whilst catching up on James Corden episodes on my DVR today, I came across the Smashing Pumpkins promoting their upcoming tour and album. I'm intrigued.

Also, I knew James Iha had reunited with Corgan/Chamberlin for some shows a while back, but had no idea he's been fully in the band since 2018.

Here's the current lineup for the classic song they played on Corden.

Today

Still great ear candy.

Tweedy joined by Wilco and special guest David Byrne for California Stars

Reactions: SDR

Chris Cornell filling in for Andrew Wood, performing a Mother Love Bone song, Stardog Champion

A ridiculously catchy tune from Kelley Deal with the band she had going in St. Paul after she moved here for rehab.

Whilst catching up on James Corden episodes on my DVR today, I came across the Smashing Pumpkins promoting their upcoming tour and album. I'm intrigued.

Also, I knew James Iha had reunited with Corgan/Chamberlin for some shows a while back, but had no idea he's been fully in the band since 2018.

Today

Still great ear candy.

Rejoined several years back. They are on tour right now....but the previous tour (Shiny and Oh So Bright) they did was exclusively pre-01 songs from back when they still had the original lineup. One of my favorite shows. Thought the regrouping might cause a return to form....but I was wrong. And that's not to say that they hadn't had some good stuff post breakup (Monuments To An Elegy is a very solid record for example)....but Corgan seems to have decided to go into synth-poprock now. 'Cyr' is again....another SP album that isn't bad.....but it's an album that fans never asked for or wanted. It's Billy Corgan doing whatever he wants.....which is fine. It's his band. But he can't be surprised when the reception is lukewarm at best.

A ridiculously catchy tune from Kelley Deal with the band she had going in St. Paul after she moved here for rehab.

I was at her first show when she got out of rehab. The Entry. Thought it was really good and was disappointed nothing ever became of them.

In honor of Jeff Tweedy"s birthday today here's Wilco on Letterman performing what is still an encore standard 25 years later.

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Tweedy joined by Wilco and special guest David Byrne for California Stars

I had the pleasure of seeing Jason Isbell joining Wilco at the Basilica BP in '15 for California Stars. I am guessing it was a perfect setting on Martha's Vineyard over the past weekend as he joined them once again.

Today

Still great ear candy.
Thanks for posting that. Hadn't listened to those guys for a long time. Now heading to check out the rest of that album, which was pretty darn good from start to finish.

Thanks for posting that. Hadn't listened to those guys for a long time. Now heading to check out the rest of that album, which was pretty darn good from start to finish.

Siamese Dream is one of my five favorite albums of all time. 'Mayonaise' is a disgusting condiment (imo)....but a brilliant song.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faith No More is a band that I knew little about outside of their (best known?) song 'Epic'. Anyways....got a copy of 'Angel Dust' and I get why it's such a well regarded album. Really got to throw out any conceptions about this band that you may have. The blending of musical styles and tones make this album unlike almost anything that I've ever listened to. Standout tracks are 'Caffeine', 'Smaller and Smaller', 'Everything's Ruined', 'A Small Victory', and 'Jizzlobber' (yeah....an interesting title). Then there's the really good cover of the Commodores song 'Easy'. Hell....even the instrumental outro, 'Midnight Cowboy' was good.

Midlife Crisis is the homerun track here, however. How I had never heard this song before is silly.

Anyways....this is why I buy full albums....taking swings at stuff I'd maybe never seek out to listen on my own. Every once in a while I find I gem. Think that I'll be spinning this one for a while.

And I'll definitely be checking out the rest of the FNM discography.....at least the Mike Patton albums. But first....I've been neglecting Our Lady Peace albums other than 'Clumsy'. So that takes precedent.

After posting the Clash Trian in Vain (in the OLD MUSIC Thread) google/youtube of course pushed London Calling and a few others in my queue. This Garbage song was also among the first 5 or so, no surprise there even though I have not searched for them for a few months.

Turns out there was a good reason the algorithm, which I was reminded of after about 5 seconds. Strummer and Jones were given their due.

Stupid Girl

The band themselves, amazing it's the same lineup. 25+ years and still productive.

Faves.

**credit to Ope3 who posted these guys a year or so ago, but they deserve another play I suppose

Last edited:

Top Bottom