90s music

KD6-3.7

credulous skeptic
Reaction score
im putting together a 90s playlist. poast songs.

Last edited:

Lots of great music to come out of the 90s, but does it have to be grunge? Grunge sounds like slow, moody punk to me.

I'm sure I loved it at the time, but the Grunge movement has not aged well. I'm not sure why everyone was so angry in the 90s.

I'm sure I loved it at the time, but the Grunge movement has not aged well. I'm not sure why everyone was so angry in the 90s.
I remember finding it boring for the most part. Do you think anyone would respond to a 90s ska thread?

Does Trip Shakespeare count as grunge? This is one of my favorite songs of all time. I like to sing along while washing dishes.

Does Trip Shakespeare count as grunge? This is one of my favorite songs of all time. I like to sing along while washing dishes.

I just happen to have my Trip shirt on right now. They were the complete opposite of Grunge. That is a big reason that they didn't make it. They were just so different than anything else going on/harmonies and seldom a guitar solo. Bad Gopher might be able to add to this.

I just happen to have my Trip shirt on right now. They were the complete opposite of Grunge. That is a big reason that they didn't make it. They were just so different than anything else going on/harmonies and seldom a guitar solo. Bad Gopher might be able to add to this.
Ha! Awesome!

When I went down to Winona for my daughter's gymnastics meet at WSU several weeks ago, the Matt Wilson Orchestra happened to be playing at Ed's No Name Bar, so I wasn't going to miss that. He played several TS songs (including Toolmaster) in addition to his new material, and it was a really nice (but under-attended) show.

At the end of the show I was about three tall-boys in, so I went up to pay my respects. I pretty much professed my love to him and thanked him and Dan and John and Elaine for everything they'd done, not the least of which is my favorite album of all time (Lulu). When I finished blabbering, he gave me a big unexpected hug. I've had a few "now I can die" moments in my life, but I truly think I can go now.

changed the title. op said 90s music, not only grunge. sorry for the confusion.

When I went down to Winona for my daughter's gymnastics meet at WSU several weeks ago, the Matt Wilson Orchestra happened to be playing at Ed's No Name Bar, so I wasn't going to miss that. He played several TS songs (including Toolmaster) in addition to his new material, and it was a really nice (but under-attended) show.

At the end of the show I was about three tall-boys in, so I went up to pay my respects. I pretty much professed my love to him and thanked him and Dan and John and Elaine for everything they'd done, not the least of which is my favorite album of all time (Lulu). When I finished blabbering, he gave me a big unexpected hug. I've had a few "now I can die" moments in my life, but I truly think I can go now.

Talking about TS,

I remember finding it boring for the most part. Do you think anyone would respond to a 90s ska thread?
Seems like this is the time for me to tell you about going to see The Special Beat in 92? I got to First Ave early so I could get right up to the stage. The opening band had a woman singing, wearing a dress with some sort of ruffly, bloomer type things. She would get to the front of the stage and kick her legs out over the heads of those of us in the front. Very sexy and a fun band. No Doubt, led by Gwen somebody. Wonder what ever happened to them? ;)

Also, the best description of Eddie Vedder and his grunge imitators singing is calling it the "hunger dunger dang" style.

yeah, here come the rooster, yeaaah
you know he ain't gonna die

OK, that's enough grunge

How about Pixies' Doolittle? Came out in 1989 but it was a nineties album.

Ugh. My in-laws live in Winona. If I would have known... Ed's bar has seen many semi-legendary names come through over the years.
Seems like this is the time for me to tell you about going to see The Special Beat in 92? I got to First Ave early so I could get right up to the stage. The opening band had a woman singing, wearing a dress with some sort of ruffly, bloomer type things. She would get to the front of the stage and kick her legs out over the heads of those of us in the front. Very sexy and a fun band. No Doubt, led by Gwen somebody. Wonder what ever happened to them? ;)
I was there. Bought a No Doubt sticker only because she was hot.

Hahaha... You had me going there for a second, thankfully you winked. I still pull up that Don't Speak video every now and again.

Less Than Jake was the first ska band I saw live. At that place Prince owned downtown.

I'm sorry; I'm wracking my brains here. Who are The Special Beat? I know The Specials and English Beat but don't know The Special Beat. Hopefully I don't loose my ska cred for asking... ?

I'm sorry; I'm wracking my brains here. Who are The Special Beat? I know The Specials and English Beat but don't know The Special Beat. Hopefully I don't loose my ska cred for asking... ?
You lose 10 ska credits. They were the combo platter of both bands. Toured in the early 90's for a while. Sorry Frink for jumping on this since he responded to you.

You lose 10 ska credits. They were the combo platter of both bands. Toured in the early 90's for a while. Sorry Frink for jumping on this since he responded to you.
Wait... The Special Beat is a super group comprised of The Specials and English Beat? Hahaha...I never knew that.

Wait... The Special Beat is a super group comprised of The Specials and English Beat? Hahaha...I never knew that.
Two members of the English Beat left the band for the Fine Young Cannibals while Ranking Roger and Dave Wakeling formed General Public in the 80's. The Specials pretty much imploded and went separate ways. By the 90's Roger and Dave still wanted to play/tour. They contacted members of the Specials and a plan was hatched to capitalize on the next wave of Ska that was starting to gain momentum. Great show. Best of both bands were played.

Favorite album of the 90s, hmm... In public I usually tell people it was Beastie Boys Ill Communication. But on an anonymous message board, I can tell you it was actually Squirrel Nut Zippers Perrennial Favorites. I'll tell ya; the 90s were a great time to be a band geek. From third wave ska, to revival swing, to bands like Cake. Oh, you play trombone? Cool, what to join our shitty punk band?

Ugh. My in-laws live in Winona. If I would have known... Ed's bar has seen many semi-legendary names come through over the years.
I love Winona, and I love their music scene, and Ed's is one of my favorite venues anywhere. I and my friends have gone down for the last couple Mid West Music Fests, and the place, its people, and its talent have been a revelation, including and especially Karate Chop, Silence. In just those couple fests, we've made friends with so many people that it's like this network. I and the other guys are always running into people we know there. I feel like it's my second home town.

Speaking of... When I saw Matt Wilson, I'd been there for only a few minutes when someone came over to say hi, and it was one of those many friends we've made at the fests. She was there with some friends and their spouses, and they invited me to hang with them. All big Trip Shakespeare fans, so we were geeking out together. In fact, one of the couples was hosting Matt at their AirBNB that night! So in conversation this gal I know says she appeared in the crowd scene of TS's video for "Bachelorette." She said they filmed it at the Gay 90s and served pizza to everyone. Good times.

Cheesy video, but great song. I think my friend is the one in white in the front row.

Top Bottom