8,000+.... add Favre to the weekend... realistic?

Care to elaborate on just what you think was wrong? Care to elaborate on why you think it was wrong? It's generally understood that your alma mater comes before any previous attachments to other schools. It's low class to be a fan of one school while attending a rival of that school. It does reflect a disassociation in some people's minds between the team they are cheering for and and the school that team represents.

If you think I'm wrong, that's a good indication that I'm probably right.

Care to elaborate on just what you think was wrong? Care to elaborate on why you think it was wrong? It's generally understood that your alma mater comes before any previous attachments to other schools. It's low class to be a fan of one school while attending a rival of that school. It does reflect a disassociation in some people's minds between the team they are cheering for and and the school that team represents.

If you think I'm wrong, that's a good indication that I'm probably right.

I disagree, but only slightly. Think about meeting a UW student who turns out to be a massive Gopher fan. He/she never wavers in their support of the Gophers and never cheers for the Badgers despite attending games at CR/Kohl Center. Would you hate on them or give them a high five?

I don't begrudge Badger fans from coming to the U. People choose schools for many reasons and while very similar and B10 institutions, there are enough differences where a Wisky fan could feel that they'd get a better education/better chance to focus on their goals at the U (or vice versa). If that person wants to stay a Badger fan I say more power to them. But this same person better not cheer for the Gophers the rest of the time. That's just lame. I dislike the Badger fans who are Gopher fans for every game but 1. Not the Badger fans who are always Badger fans while attending the U. That takes some actual backbone to do.

I always say choose your alma mater over your birth place. You can choose where you go to school, not where you are born. Same goes for religion, you are forced into a religion at birth, choose later in life what is right for you. I am a Wisky born Gopher fan. I don't fault those who leave Minnesota and go to Wisky to become Becky fans. I do think though that you have to choose one or the other though. You can't convert to Judaism and still go mass on Christmas.

I always say choose your alma mater over your birth place. You can choose where you go to school, not where you are born. Same goes for religion, you are forced into a religion at birth, choose later in life what is right for you. I am a Wisky born Gopher fan. I don't fault those who leave Minnesota and go to Wisky to become Becky fans. I do think though that you have to choose one or the other though. You can't convert to Judaism and still go mass on Christmas.

Your religion example is apples to oranges. Conversion means you believe something different than you did before you converted. Being born in a state doesn't mean you are automatically a supporter of the home school (compared to your religion example). My kids will likely be born in Madison. They will also grow up wearing maroon and gold while singing the Rouser. The same is true about choosing a college. Picking a school can and is done for reasons beyond athletics. Maybe the program you want to study is better at the rival school, etc, etc. There are plenty of valid reasons to choose a school that don't involve athletics that would allow you to retain your original fan loyalties rather than "worship" your alma mater's athletic teams.

My alma mater is a D3 school in Wisconsin. Does that mean I can't be a true Gopher fan?

It was meant to be a general analogy. I know religion and supporting college athletics are completely different. I was just trying to make the point that the state you are born is does not decide your collegiate allegiance. Would you be blame your kids if the went to Madison and were Badger fans? Of course it wasn't what you were hoping for, but you could see where they are coming from.

I am also in your school of thought in that I came to Minnesota partly because I started as an architecture major (Madison does not offer it.)

Your religion example is apples to oranges. Conversion means you believe something different than you did before you converted. Being born in a state doesn't mean you are automatically a supporter of the home school (compared to your religion example).

The analogy is not perfect, but being a fan of once school, but choosing to go to attend that school's rival is analogous to converting.

People do choose schools for reasons other than athletics. But there is a relation between the athletic teams and the college the represent. Alma mater ought to mean something, athletic teams are not independent entities.

My alma mater is a D3 school in Wisconsin. Does that mean I can't be a true Gopher fan?

You certainly can. But in the unlikely event of that school playing Minnesota... I graduated from Bemidji State. When Bemidji State played the U in an exhibition basketball game, I wore my green sweater. I didn't expect a win, and was merely hoping it wouldn't be a complete desecration. Well, they did get desecrated, but it was a treat to watch them match up with the Gophers.

The analogy is not perfect, but being a fan of once school, but choosing to go to attend that school's rival is analogous to converting.

People do choose schools for reasons other than athletics. But there is a relation between the athletic teams and the college the represent. Alma mater ought to mean something, athletic teams are not independent entities.

To be a little dpdoll-ish for a minute, if a comparison between religion/alma maters is imperfect then its a poor choice for an analogy. ;)

Moving on though, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree as I don't grant the premise that a student's athletics/athletic identity is the same as his/her chosen college. :)

Athletic teams may not be independent from the school's identity (they are part of the institution's brand after all) but they do not automatically have a bearing on your identity as a student of the school. Think about all the kids you went to college with who didn't give two cents how your alma mater's sports teams did. Would you have said they were Gophers, Vikings, Beavers, Bulldogs, etc? Or would they just have been fellow students who happened to attend the school who's mascot was a Gopher, Viking, Beaver, or Bulldog? Support for an athletic team is a voluntary choice and I'd argue that choosing a school doesn't force you into support of that school's team. Alma mater should mean something, but that something is different to each student. To you and me it may mean support of the team. To someone else, it may mean a great education at a school who's teams you hate with a passion.

I was just trying to make the point that the state you are born is does not decide your collegiate allegiance. Would you be blame your kids if the went to Madison and were Badger fans? Of course it wasn't what you were hoping for, but you could see where they are coming from.

I am also in your school of thought in that I came to Minnesota partly because I started as an architecture major (Madison does not offer it.)
I completely agree with you that where you are born doesn't determine your collegiate allegiance. Also, I would never blame my kids for going to Madison and being Badger fans. I'd just change my will so that my season tickets at TCF go to someone else! :) I want my kids to go to the college of their choice for whatever reasons they choose. But at the same time, if they chose to go to Madison and remain Gopher fans b/c that's how they grew up I don't think it would be a betrayal of their alma mater either. ;)

It's a math problem

realistically I think that we can expect somewhere around 20K clad in red at TCF Bank Stadium. I hope not...but that is what I am expecting to see. It will be not much different than the bucky fans at the damn dome. Sorry man....let's be real.

That's just insane banter--on all levels. So is 8,000. 3,000 for sure Budgies in visitor sections+10,000 students (can't be used by Boogers)=13,000. That leaves 37,000 seats. 5,000 more/37,000 = 13.5%. Are you telling me 1 of every 7 season ticket holders will sell? NO WAY POSSIBLE.

17,000 more Barstards than allotted would mean 1 of every 2 season ticket holders will sell. For the Big Ten home opener? Likely on national TV? Are you insane?????

I haven't seen more than 500 tickets for sale on any site, and many are redundant from site to site. Even 2,000 more Bufftuckers are a lot.

Crazy talk.:pig::pig::pig::pig:

That's just insane banter--on all levels. So is 8,000. 3,000 for sure Budgies in visitor sections+10,000 students (can't be used by Boogers)=13,000. That leaves 37,000 seats. 5,000 more/37,000 = 13.5%. Are you telling me 1 of every 7 season ticket holders will sell? NO WAY POSSIBLE.

17,000 more Barstards than allotted would mean 1 of every 2 season ticket holders will sell. For the Big Ten home opener? Likely on national TV? Are you insane?????

I haven't seen more than 500 tickets for sale on any site, and many are redundant from site to site. Even 2,000 more Bufftuckers are a lot.

thank you for adding some actual logic to the discussion! ;)

It is almost impossible to root for two teams in the same league, but I do it anyway. I agree with those who say your primary allegiance should be to your alma mater.

Here is how I do it.

1) I root for my alma mater head to head
2) I root for both teams when they are not head to head, even if my alma mater (UW) would benefit from a Gopher loss.

This is a bit tortured, but each team controls it's destiny and I've got too much invested in the Gophers to be schizo in my support based on whether the Badgers are getting it done.

I reserve the right to adjust this if the stakes are higher (Rose Bowl, NC, etc.).

I'm hoping they never play on the last day of the season to see who goes to the Rose Bowl. If that happens, I may root for the U the first time it happens and for UW each time after???

It is almost impossible to root for two teams in the same league, but I do it anyway. I agree with those who say your primary allegiance should be to your alma mater.

Here is how I do it.

1) I root for my alma mater head to head
2) I root for both teams when they are not head to head, even if my alma mater (UW) would benefit from a Gopher loss.

This is a bit tortured, but each team controls it's destiny and I've got too much invested in the Gophers to be schizo in my support based on whether the Badgers are getting it done.

I reserve the right to adjust this if the stakes are higher (Rose Bowl, NC, etc.).

I'm hoping they never play on the last day of the season to see who goes to the Rose Bowl. If that happens, I may root for the U the first time it happens and for UW each time after???

I'm from Wisky and I agree with everything except the final. I always say you cheer for your alma mater when head-head no matter the stakes. That's all I ask. I have a lot of friends from Wisky that go to the U and sometimes cheer for UW. Never should this happen. You go/went to the damned school, you have a connection to it and it represents you. Reason my friends cheer for UW? They say 'I've been a fan my whole life.' What a terrible reason. Like that takes precedence... horseshit. Cheer for UW all you want, just not when they're playing YOUR school. And yes this goes both ways when a friend's gf came up from UW for the WI-MN hockey game... I was frustrated she didn't wear red and wore gold instead. Stop being pansies people

Nobody in my section has tix up for sale for any game this season on the 6 websites I've checked! Way to go section! Can't wait for tomorrow!

I'm from Wisky and I agree with everything except the final. I always say you cheer for your alma mater when head-head no matter the stakes. That's all I ask. I have a lot of friends from Wisky that go to the U and sometimes cheer for UW. Never should this happen. You go/went to the damned school, you have a connection to it and it represents you. Reason my friends cheer for UW? They say 'I've been a fan my whole life.' What a terrible reason. Like that takes precedence... horseshit. Cheer for UW all you want, just not when they're playing YOUR school. And yes this goes both ways when a friend's gf came up from UW for the WI-MN hockey game... I was frustrated she didn't wear red and wore gold instead. Stop being pansies people

I have to agree with you on the last point. It feels insincere to not cheer for your alma mater no matter what.

I may be out of the loop on this one, but can U of M students still give up their student tickets/get extra tickets? If so, you can expect to see a fair amout of red in the student section. Nobody likes it but I remember there being plenty of UW fans in '07.

I may be out of the loop on this one, but can U of M students still give up their student tickets/get extra tickets? If so, you can expect to see a fair amout of red in the student section. Nobody likes it but I remember there being plenty of UW fans in '07.

to answer your question....you are out of the loop

1.) you can't give up your ticket because you have to show a U-Card picture ID proving you are a current U of M student and student season ticket holder.

2.) students can not get extra tickets. current U of M students are limited to the purchase of ONE season ticket, have to show their U-Card picture ID when they pick up their season tickets at the ticket office before the season and can not buy extra student season tickets.

Top Bottom