6 years with Coach Fleck

At the risk of being redundant, it is the conference record that really counts.
Using that index PJ is behind his peers, in the so-to-be-forgotten West.
The majority seem to be content with that.
Behind which peers? You expect him to come in with a walk on QB and by year 6 have the same conference winning percentage as well established Iowa and Wisconsin programs? You’re really holding his feet to the fire for his first two years.

Last edited:

Fitz at 0.460 is the "asterisk* coach and staff" for their breakout seasons where it all just comes together.

For us so far in the first 6 years, 2019 is the best we've got. Co-West Champions at best for us and not making it to Indianapolis. Over time Northwestern has just done intermittently more with sustained less. Befuddling at times...
Honest question. Would you rather have our last 6 years
5-7
7-6
11-2
3-4 (Covid)
9-4
9-4

Or northwesterns last 6
10-3
9-5 west title
3-9
7-2 west title (Covid)
3-9
1-11

I can’t decide myself. I don’t really know how much a west title is worth in my brain as we have never won one.
Obviously have never had one.
I would argue northwesterns best season was their 10-3, not their 9-5 west title or the Covid title. So that tells me I would rather have our last 6 years…but then again I don’t know how I feel.
If the last two years were 6-6 instead of 3-9 and 1-11 clearly northwesterns

5-7
7-6
11-2
3-4 (Covid)
9-4
9-4

Or northwesterns last 6
10-3
9-5 west title
3-9
7-2 west title (Covid)
3-9
1-11

I can’t decide myself. I don’t really know how much a west title is worth in my brain as we have never won one.
I would argue northwesterns best season was their 10-3, not their 9-5 west title or the Covid title. So that tells me I would rather have our last 6 years…but then again I don’t know how I feel.
Nice analysis for a wintry Saturday morning.

Honestly I want my homemade waffles and pure maple syrup too...I want our overall "sustained, less-bouncy" level of success (as compared to NW) plus the West Title, or another NYD's bowl of course...but probably should just settle for beating I-O-W-A for now since that appears insurmountable.

Appreciate the response. Ski U Mah 2023.

5-7
7-6
11-2
3-4 (Covid)
9-4
9-4

Or northwesterns last 6
10-3
9-5 west title
3-9
7-2 west title (Covid)
3-9
1-11

Clearly, I'd take Minnesota's record. Northwestern has no future and even their best years weren't great. West titles have all led to another loss and are an empty achievement that I don't think teams even raise a banner for.

Comparatively, remember when Nebraska won all those Big 12 North titles in the 2000s but the whole country kind of scoffed at how it was meaningless? That's us in the West.

And yet a number of posters will be saying that we settle for mediocrity!

I had season tickets all through school 1978-1983 (six years). That period looked more like mediocrity than this does!

Ski-u-mah
We were pining for mediocrity in that period! The football was downright putrid for the most part mixed in with a couple of years that were meh!!!

Good results. Like the program. Want better yet.
Yep, I think that's the problem some people seem to have (not as much on gopherhole but just "fans" in general). Some seem to think being happy and proud of the last few yeas means you're fine with mediocrity or whatever. Happy with what's been accomplished but also want more.

5-7
7-6
11-2
3-4 (Covid)
9-4
9-4

Or northwesterns last 6
10-3
9-5 west title
3-9
7-2 west title (Covid)
3-9
1-11

If you are just taking those two windows of time as a static period then I would take Northwestern's because of the 2 trips to Indy.

However, looking at those 6 years you can clearly see which program is in better shape overall and especially heading into the future. I am one that puts very little stock in the Covid year because it was such an unprecedented situation for everyone. So if you set 2020 aside you have a Minnesota program with 3 straight solid full seasons vs. a Northwestern program that has been bad in its last 3 full years.

Discussion for another thread but looking at that I do wonder how much heat Fitzgerald is starting to feel internally. Gotta think he needs to show some improvement soon because even with his status at Northwestern they aren't going to tolerate being at the bottom of the league for an extended period when they have demonstrated the ability to be competitive in the past.

Yep, I think that's the problem some people seem to have (not as much on gopherhole but just "fans" in general). Some seem to think being happy and proud of the last few yeas means you're fine with mediocrity or whatever. Happy with what's been accomplished but also want more.
The question will always come down to how much more is realistic. I definitely don't think the program has peaked but I also don't think there is a ton of upward mobility left either.

The reality is we are unlikely to ever be able to consistently crack the top tier of Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan (and soon to include USC most likely).

But the hope is that we can consistently stay at or near the top of that next tier of programs and from time to time find a way to break into that top tier.

I get that for some that might not be enough but as long as we are in the upper half of the conference most of the time I think it will be good enough for the powers that be and should be for the fanbase as well given the realities of the college football landscape and where a school like Minnesota fits in it.

And honestly, you could make this exact same post for all the other teams in the Big Ten that aren't in that top group.

Clearly, I'd take Minnesota's record. Northwestern has no future and even their best years weren't great. West titles have all led to another loss and are an empty achievement that I don't think teams even raise a banner for.

Comparatively, remember when Nebraska won all those Big 12 North titles in the 2000s but the whole country kind of scoffed at how it was meaningless? That's us in the West.
Northwestern is spending a boatload of money on new facilities. The success Fitz has garnered is with very subpar facilities. That changes soon.

I think 2019 is a relative ceiling. 11 wins is about as good as could be expected. If PJ can go 5-6 games over .500 in big ten and win 50-55 games over the next 6 years what would be excellent for MN. He does need to improve vs ranked teams and Iowa a bit though. For example if over the next 6 years Gophers go:
8-5
9-4
11-2
8-5
9-4
9-4

That’s a 54-24 record and at worst 30-24 in big ten. How could you not take that.
I do think if he has one “special” season and makes CFB playoffs he will be a pretty hot commodity to leave.

A few other stats:
  • An 11-win season
  • A final ranking inside the top 10
  • 3 wins over Wisconsin
  • 0 scandals off the field
If you'd shared all the 6-year stats above with the board on the day PJ was hired, I bet most people would've taken it. Still, there's been some disappoinment along the way, including 6 losses to Iowa, 3 runner-up finishes in the West that EASILY could've been championships, and some baffling/frustrating decisions on the field. The bar has been raised, and people now accuse others of accepting mediocrity when they're not pissed about a 9 win season. Think about that.
Nebraska used to win an automatic 8-9 wins every year under Bo Pelini, whom they fired because he wasn't winning enough (and was a monumental jerk). Nebraska's hubris in firing a guy for winning only 8-9 games a year has produced for Nebraska fans a decade of humiliation on the field. PJ, IMH estimation, is a kind, empathetic man--the opposite of Pelini. And PJ is now attaining that regular 8-9 win "ceiling," where the next few wins (the ones that get you top 10 finish), are much more difficult to attain on a regular basis. It has taken 6 years of building to get us to this place of consistent winning. The institutional framework has been laid in. The culture is there. The recruiting is coming along realistically, recognizing that we are a developmental program (we ain't getting field-ready 5 stars). I believe PJ can push the Gophers up one more notch. This is a learning process for him, too, not just for his players. All things in time.

5-7
7-6
11-2
3-4 (Covid)
9-4
9-4

Or northwesterns last 6
10-3
9-5 west title
3-9
7-2 west title (Covid)
3-9
1-11

Also keep in mind Fitzgerald was already at NW for 11 years prior to the last six years.

Also keep in mind Fitzgerald was already at NW for 11 years prior to the last six years.
Yeah but that’s not even the debate
The better coach who would you rather have debate is a totally different debate

I am literally trying to decide what is a better last 6 seasons

Minnesota 44-27
5 winning seasons

Northwestern 33-39
3 winning seasons
2 west titles

Would you have traded a west title this year by winning one more game for going 3-9 next year? I don’t know the answer

The question will always come down to how much more is realistic. I definitely don't think the program has peaked but I also don't think there is a ton of upward mobility left either.

The reality is we are unlikely to ever be able to consistently crack the top tier of Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan (and soon to include USC most likely).

But the hope is that we can consistently stay at or near the top of that next tier of programs and from time to time find a way to break into that top tier.

I get that for some that might not be enough but as long as we are in the upper half of the conference most of the time I think it will be good enough for the powers that be and should be for the fanbase as well given the realities of the college football landscape and where a school like Minnesota fits in it.

And honestly, you could make this exact same post for all the other teams in the Big Ten that aren't in that top group.
For me, the next step besides beating Iowa would be a playoff appearance. Winning the west won't be an option after next year and winning the Big Ten would be extremely difficult. The expansion of the playoffs makes that easier to achieve than winning the conference, especially with the addition of USC and UCLA.

No doubt the Gophers program is in a better spot currently and the landscape of CFB with NIL, portal and super conferences may not be favorable to programs like Northwestern where Fitz’s recruiting job is way harder than Fleck’s.

I certainly think West title banners would be raised if the Gophers had managed to win one. And a >.500 record vs Iowa would probably be traded for a few lower bowl wins and wins over the likes of Purdue and Rutgers.

I certainly think West title banners would be raised if the Gophers had managed to win one. And a >.500 record vs Iowa would probably be traded for a few lower bowl wins and wins over the likes of Purdue and Rutgers.

Minnesota has a co-champ West title according to the BG10. Do you think they actually would have raised that banner if they instead lost to PSU but beat Iowa and went to the title game with the same record as co-West champs?

I don't think Wisconsin nor Iowa has West banners in their stadium (correct me if I'm wrong).

Nice analysis for a wintry Saturday morning.

Honestly I want my homemade waffles and pure maple syrup too...I want our overall "sustained, less-bouncy" level of success (as compared to NW) plus the West Title, or another NYD's bowl of course...but probably should just settle for beating I-O-W-A for now since that appears insurmountable.

Appreciate the response. Ski U Mah 2023.
Stop calling the Outback Bowl a NYD bowl! It was such a mainstay as a "NYD Bowl," it doesn't even exist anymore.

Minnesota has a co-champ West title according to the BG10. Do you think they actually would have raised that banner if they instead lost to PSU but beat Iowa and went to the title game with the same record as co-West champs?

I don't think Wisconsin nor Iowa has West banners in their stadium (correct me if I'm wrong).
WTactualF is a "co-champ West Title??"

Jeebus phuck. Go back to the drunken Sconnie board and masturbate to the thought of Fuke Lickle coaching the Fadgers.
Will never really understand what drives someone to be so motivated to troll other team boards, especially during the off season. Just pathetic.

If you are just taking those two windows of time as a static period then I would take Northwestern's because of the 2 trips to Indy.

However, looking at those 6 years you can clearly see which program is in better shape overall and especially heading into the future. I am one that puts very little stock in the Covid year because it was such an unprecedented situation for everyone. So if you set 2020 aside you have a Minnesota program with 3 straight solid full seasons vs. a Northwestern program that has been bad in its last 3 full years.

Discussion for another thread but looking at that I do wonder how much heat Fitzgerald is starting to feel internally. Gotta think he needs to show some improvement soon because even with his status at Northwestern they aren't going to tolerate being at the bottom of the league for an extended period when they have demonstrated the ability to be competitive in the past.
He will decide when to leave. Fitz is the kind of guy who will go to the AD and resign with a nice package of it gets to that point. it's his hometown. The school is spending a ton on new facilities for athletics, especially football. My guess is at some point he will become the AD, but not for at least a good 5-10 years.

Yeah but that’s not even the debate
The better coach who would you rather have debate is a totally different debate

I am literally trying to decide what is a better last 6 seasons

Minnesota 44-27
5 winning seasons

Northwestern 33-39
3 winning seasons
2 west titles

Would you have traded a west title this year by winning one more game for going 3-9 next year? I don’t know the answer
I think winning the West is overrated, winning the west by having a bunch of others lose is just not that impressive. The only reason the west is a big deal is because it gives you a shot to win the conference, even that is cheapened by a title game in my opinion. I think finishing high in the AP poll is more impressive.

I think winning the West is overrated, winning the west by having a bunch of others lose is just not that impressive. The only reason the west is a big deal is because it gives you a shot to win the conference, even that is cheapened by a title game in my opinion. I think finishing high in the AP poll is more impressive.
OK. NW was 8-1 in conference for 2018 title. They ended up ranked #10 in 2020 for that title.

OK. NW was 8-1 in conference for 2018 title. They ended up ranked #10 in 2020 for that title.
2018 they started the year losing 3 of 4 including Duke and Akron.
One of the stranger seasons in the history of the big ten.

I don’t really include 2020 as a real season as a negative or positive for anyone. Obviously would rather win it in 2020 than lose it, but it’s kind of a fake season.
2020 northwestern won the division without playing 33% of the teams in the division.
2020 Ohio state won the conference playing 5 regular season games

2018 they started the year losing 3 of 4 including Duke and Akron.
One of the stranger seasons in the history of the big ten.

I don’t really include 2020 as a real season as a negative or positive for anyone. Obviously would rather win it in 2020 than lose it, but it’s kind of a fake season.
2020 northwestern won the division without playing 33% of the teams in the division.
2020 Ohio state won the conference playing 5 regular season games
Yep. They still won and were ranked top 10. If it was the Gophs instead in 2020, pretty sure we wouldn't be discounting it.

Yup it’s a pretty close call to me which 6 years I’d rather have. I guess I take the gophers since they won 11 more games over that span and have a #10 finish as well. If NW didn’t have three seasons of 3, 3, and 1 win I’d go with them.

Yup it’s a pretty close call to me which 6 years I’d rather have. I guess I take the gophers since they won 11 more games over that span and have a #10 finish as well. If NW didn’t have three seasons of 3, 3, and 1 win I’d go with them.
That's fair. Given what Fitz has to work with, both are quite a feat. NW is a very tough school to get into and his facilities have been bad. That part is about to change.

The computer models like Minnesota, like top 20-30.

Other universities have poached the Gophers coaching staff. They like Minnesota.

He is doing really well.

So that should translate into Minnesota beating Iowa and getting into a better bowl game this next season.

The NFL Draft in April will be his 6th since he took over in 2017. Fleck will have a minimum of two more players drafted in April. Fleck is a victim of his own success. Gopher fans crave a West division crown, would love to see it in the next 2-3 years.
There will be no more West Division after next year. in fact, there will be no more divisions after next year.
Given next year's MN schedule if MN wins the West Fleck should get a lifetime extension.

Top Bottom