3rd quarter fumble

many of the players on defense have been in the system for 2 full years. saw significant game time last year and have played 6 full games this year.

"they're just young" is just an excuse everyone should be tired of using and hearing.

Like Alabama getting run out of South Carolina? They replaced 8 starters on D, but they also have a bunch of guys 2 or more years in the program and with significant playing time. They are making the same mistakes; tackling high, bad angles, sucking in on bad reads.

All I'm trying to say is that experience does make a big difference, and 18 or so games of on-and-off game time experience is not enough.

Even in live action, you could see the side judge running in, waving his arms to signal the runner down before the fumble. It was a bad call. The whistle was just too quick, but the official was blowing the play dead before the fumble. When they showed the replays on tv, you never saw the angle from the sideline with the side judge in view. If anyone here DVR'd the game, watch the play live from scrimmage. That's the only time you'll see the official make his initial call.

When he ruled forward progress stopped, and blew the play dead, it couldn't be challenged. The whistle was blown way too early, and the play should have resulted in a fumble.

Question for you, badgerman27:

Do you have any calls go against you in critical spots? I watch you guys most weeks and I always end up thinking Bielema gets bailed out by poor officiating.

Of course I am a crazy, bitter, angry Gopher fan... so I am biased. I don't think this about Iowa or OSU. But PSU and Mich also always seem to get calls go their way.

But do you feel like your on the good or bad side of the bounces and calls??

I will agree with you on the coaching but talent wise you are completely wrong. The actual talent level on this squad has been grossly over exagerated.

I agree with you. We are not that talented. Other than Gray, Brew's recruits have been underwhelming. Half of Brewster's lauded four star recruits have been unproductive or are no longer with the program: Hayo Carpenter, Sam Maresh, Vincent Hill, David Pittman, Traye Simmons, and Hasan Lipscomb. Of the remaiming 4 star recruits, you have Marquise Gray (good), Brandon Green (soso), Keanon Cooper (soso), Michael Carter (soso), Jimmy Gjere (too young to evaluate) and Lamonte Edwards (too young). So far only Gray has elevated his game to be a difference maker. Perhaps, a few more will before their careers are over, but what is extremely disappointing is that the running backs are horrid. A good running back can be a difference maker and can contribute as a freshman or sophomore. Brewster, in 4 recruiting opportunities, has whiffed 4 times to add a quality running back. Mason, who supposedly sucked as a recruiter, got better running backs in his sleep than Brew: Maroney, Barber, Tapeh, Russell, Pinnix all would be vast upgrades.

Like Alabama getting run out of South Carolina? They replaced 8 starters on D, but they also have a bunch of guys 2 or more years in the program and with significant playing time. They are making the same mistakes; tackling high, bad angles, sucking in on bad reads.

All I'm trying to say is that experience does make a big difference, and 18 or so games of on-and-off game time experience is not enough.

I understand the experience factor. That is not my point. A lot of talk on this board about the quality of player on defense and that this would be a top 3 or 4 unit in the B10 as soon as next year. IMO there is no way near that type of talent on defense and even with experience would not reach that type of ranking regardless.

Question for you, badgerman27:

Do you have any calls go against you in critical spots? I watch you guys most weeks and I always end up thinking Bielema gets bailed out by poor officiating.

Of course I am a crazy, bitter, angry Gopher fan... so I am biased. I don't think this about Iowa or OSU. But PSU and Mich also always seem to get calls go their way.

But do you feel like your on the good or bad side of the bounces and calls??

I think we get some bad calls here and there. It's exactly as it seems - you get calls going against you on the road. Every team does. You go into a road game knowing you're going to have to overcome a few calls that will go against you.

I thought we had a couple of calls missed last week in the loss at MSU. Nothing that would turn the game, but if it stalls a drive for your offense or extends the drive against your defense, it's hard to judge the impact.

this whole defense is slow and outmanned

i can't believe what I am reading

theret and collado are seniors

out two invisible defensive tackles are juniors

our linebackers are trash

if you think any of these DE's are ever going to amount to anything.....have another beer

the new guy who comes in here is going to have a headache watching game film of the lack of talent

this whole defense is slow and outmanned

i can't believe what I am reading

theret and collado are seniors

out two invisible defensive tackles are juniors

our linebackers are trash

if you think any of these DE's are ever going to amount to anything.....have another beer

the new guy who comes in here is going to have a headache watching game film of the lack of talent

The Nebraska defense under Callahan & Cosgrove looked slow and untalented. In Pelini's 2nd year they were one of the best in the country.

It's coaching.

I will agree with you on the coaching but talent wise you are completely wrong. The actual talent level on this squad has been grossly over exagerated.

This.

Even in live action, you could see the side judge running in, waving his arms to signal the runner down before the fumble. It was a bad call. The whistle was just too quick, but the official was blowing the play dead before the fumble. When they showed the replays on tv, you never saw the angle from the sideline with the side judge in view. If anyone here DVR'd the game, watch the play live from scrimmage. That's the only time you'll see the official make his initial call.

When he ruled forward progress stopped, and blew the play dead, it couldn't be challenged. The whistle was blown way too early, and the play should have resulted in a fumble.

I don't believe the play was whistled dead. Even the TV announcers commented. Bad call, but it is how you respond to those that is key. We didn't.

Top Bottom