3rd quarter fumble

Marooned

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of awful calls blown by officials throughout my years - but that may have been the worst ever. The guy catches the ball - gets hit immediately, and fumbles during the tackle and it's called forward progress. Wow ...

Enough hyperbole. It wasn't the worst call ever. It was bad, but it's not the worst call ever.

It was a bad call but the coaches are morons and can't make up for it. So they scored a TD. Feel free to actually call some decent plays and not just run it up the middle, get stuffed, and throw incomplete on 3rd down. They had an opportunity to match their TD but the idiots still think they can just run it up the gut 10 times every drive and score TDs. Its simpleton/moron football. Points come from the pass.

Neither ref saw the call, so they bailed each other out with a non-call.
Still haven't seen good replay of that holding call. I think the ref saw the receiver stumble awkwardly and assumed he must have been held.

I forgot - the OSU game in '08 where Jack Simmons was stacked up by 8 defenders for about 5 seconds, was then stripped, and it was ruled a fumble. I agree, that would probably be worse.

But I digress - if I were an official - I'd be embarrassed about that call.

charles-barkley-savage-thumbcopy.jpg

That play changed the course of the game.

It didn't help, but then neither did the hold on 3rd down or the facemask that followed when we the defensive line finally did something.

we are minnesota, we know there are going to be 1 or 2 absolutely terrible calls against us. we just have to plan on overcoming it

That play changed the course of the game.

Weber and the gutless wonders on offense still wasted a good run back by Troy. This game was going to be a blowout anyway.

I have seen a lot of awful calls blown by officials throughout my years - but that may have been the worst ever. The guy catches the ball - gets hit immediately, and fumbles during the tackle and it's called forward progress. Wow ...

Couldn't that call have been challenged? If so, it's proof positive that Brewster is a chimp

we are minnesota, we know there are going to be 1 or 2 absolutely terrible calls against us. we just have to plan on overcoming it

I'm not saying we lose all our games based on officiating - but I watch a lot of college football - I've never seen a team with so much discrepancy of bad calls to favorable calls than these Gophers have. The only favorable call I can recall this year has been the fumble at the end of the MTSU game. But other than that - we're always catching the bad breaks it seems.

Check the yardage - not getting that call hasn't cost us the game. WI running at will and throwing to open receivers all day, along with an inept passing game for the Gophers, is what is costing us the game.

The non-call? Get over it.

As I say that, our kicker flops and gets the personal foul. Seems like a sympathy call.

Weber and the gutless wonders on offense still wasted a good run back by Troy. This game was going to be a blowout anyway.

Not really. If we kick the FG instead of going for 4th & 6, add the botched PAT and Gray's dropped TD, and we should be at 27 points. UW got a free TD due to that non-call fumble, add their missed FG and they are at 31 points. Looks like they're about to score here, so call it 38-27. Hardly a blowout.

Bad coaching, couple of mistakes on the basics, and a couple bad calls are making this more lop-sided than it really is. I'm not saying they aren't the better team and can't soundly beat us, but I am saying that we're really not far from beating some of these teams. I agree with Brewster on that aspect -- however, I feel he's not the guy to shore up that difference.

magpie just stop. your post is just as bad as Brewster and we are that close to be 5-0. you are only kidding yourself.

I'm torn - this team talent-wise isn't far off. This team coaching-wise (IMO) is so far off it's disgusting. We're a better team than we're showing this year.

I'm torn - this team talent-wise isn't far off. This team coaching-wise (IMO) is so far off it's disgusting. We're a better team than we're showing this year.

This is what I'm saying. A better coach would have beat NIU, USD, and NU. Those were all winnable games. USC and UW were more competitive than many admit.

I will agree with you on the coaching but talent wise you are completely wrong. The actual talent level on this squad has been grossly over exagerated.

I will agree with you on the coaching but talent wise you are completely wrong. The actual talent level on this squad has been grossly over exagerated.

And this is where I disagree with you. Our players just aren't put in a position to succeed - which grossly depreciates the talent on the field.

Wisconsin simply lined up an physically whipped a team they are more talented than.

coaching has nothing to do with that. there is a huge difference in the talent level.

Wisconsin's OLine beat our DLine today - that is true. You won't hear me say otherwise. Wisconsin's DLine did not dominate our OLine today though - our receivers/TE played rather well - and I'm liking Eskridge more every game lately - and there were flashes of good things today. Unfortunately, lots of our players were out of position on D and conservative playcalling on O seems to magnify our issues. Both of these things are on the coaching, not talent.

It was a bad call but the coaches are morons and can't make up for it. So they scored a TD. Feel free to actually call some decent plays and not just run it up the middle, get stuffed, and throw incomplete on 3rd down. They had an opportunity to match their TD but the idiots still think they can just run it up the gut 10 times every drive and score TDs. Its simpleton/moron football. Points come from the pass.

The same thing could be said with the Berkman ball/strike call with the Twins. It's what the team does after the call that matters. Pavano gave up a double and the Gophers gave up the TD. That's how it goes. In both cases the better team won.

The talent is there, they're just young.

The talent is there, they're just young.

many of the players on defense have been in the system for 2 full years. saw significant game time last year and have played 6 full games this year.

"they're just young" is just an excuse everyone should be tired of using and hearing.

Even in live action, you could see the side judge running in, waving his arms to signal the runner down before the fumble. It was a bad call. The whistle was just too quick, but the official was blowing the play dead before the fumble. When they showed the replays on tv, you never saw the angle from the sideline with the side judge in view. If anyone here DVR'd the game, watch the play live from scrimmage. That's the only time you'll see the official make his initial call.

When he ruled forward progress stopped, and blew the play dead, it couldn't be challenged. The whistle was blown way too early, and the play should have resulted in a fumble.

Top Bottom