3rd Badger quits during fall camp? Something is up in Madison and it's not good.

popeyoung5

Reaction score
I can't remember 7 coaches leaving a program and three players quitting a team during fall camp. Brennan, now these two. The Ball scuffle?, QB free agents?, too many new coaches? Dating cheerleaders? Cooking Toucans in a microwave? Something is just not right with Bucky.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/166958136.html

You don't think it's pretty normal for kids who aren't going to see the field to check out other options? Garner had a lot of potential but could never stay healthy. Not trying to flame, but from a Badger's perspective it seems things couldn't be going much better in Madison.

I know you are a former Badger fan turned gopher fan, but it seems like you are really reaching on this one.

0:24 for a troll response. Badgerhawk? You do have your own board, you know. Pathetic.

literally haven't posted on Gopherhole in god knows how long, didn't troll, added an opinion, and somehow I am pathetic. Again, apologies for enjoying other B10 message boards - I like to be informed about my B10 football before forming an opinion, and think that team message boards are a great way to do that.

But whatever, I understand the feeling. My bad for commenting on a Gopher board thread started about something being up in Madison and it not being a good thing. Seems eerily similar to a lot of threads started during the Brew days.

players leaving is nothing new. however the coaching departures is probably the biggest signal that something is up. I think that because of this the axe is ripe for the takin' this year.

players leaving is nothing new. however the coaching departures is probably the biggest signal that something is up. I think that because of this the axe is ripe for the takin' this year.

Good luck with that. :)

Seriously, the coaching changes cause concern, although as Rittenberg notes at ESPN, Bielema says he likes to recruit coaches like him - who want to be head coaches. That is all well and good, but one should expect a few hiccups this year. Let's hope one isn't October 20.

You don't think it's pretty normal for kids who aren't going to see the field to check out other options? Garner had a lot of potential but could never stay healthy. Not trying to flame, but from a Badger's perspective it seems things couldn't be going much better in Madison.

I know you are a former Badger fan turned gopher fan, but it seems like you are really reaching on this one.

Garner has seen the field since day one. Checking out other "options" on 8/20? I am a Badger alum and have been to all 5 Rose bowls since 93'. I watched BB lose both his Rose bowls with terrible clock management. He had the one Badger team in 60 years that could and should have run the table last year and game mismanaged the Aston Martin into the ditch. MSU= calling timeouts to allow the hail mary. Multiple blocked punts,ect. No coach that is respected loses 7 out of 9 asst. coaches in one year. The OC and OL coach will be sorely missed. I cringe every time BB opens His mouth awaiting the next "Bidenism". Say what You want but the wheels are coming off the program.

popeyoung5 said:
Garner has seen the field since day one. Checking out other "options" on 8/20? I am a Badger alum and have been to all 5 Rose bowls since 93'. I watched BB lose both his Rose bowls with terrible clock management. He had the one Badger team in 60 years that could and should have run the table last year and game mismanaged the Aston Martin into the ditch. MSU= calling timeouts to allow the hail mary. Multiple blocked punts,ect. No coach that is respected loses 7 out of 9 asst. coaches in one year. The OC and OL coach will be sorely missed. I cringe every time BB opens His mouth awaiting the next "Bidenism". Say what You want but the wheels are coming off the program.

Garner was 6th or 7th on the depth chart. While it's true that he's played a lot, none of the six guys in front of him have less eligibility remaining than he does.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...depth_chart_event/depth_chart_20120807aaa.pdf

Garner was 6th or 7th on the depth chart. While it's true that he's played a lot, none of the six guys in front of him have less eligibility remaining than he does.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...depth_chart_event/depth_chart_20120807aaa.pdf

Scary thin on the OL, DL and QB. If O'Brien gets hurt or plays like last year, Phillips is in with 2 blown ACLS and a freshman backup.
The gift is the schedule, OSU banned and the division. I look in BB's eyes and just see fish swimming.

The only coach that football team had (Paul Chryst) took the first opportunity to leave and will now lead a good Pitt team. Bert Enima lost two consecutive handed to him rose bowls because he coached over Chryst, big mistake. Best thing Wisco could've done was hire Chryst to be their coach and can Enema, then they'd have not only a good coach but one that wasn't a massive nation-wide hated prick. Good for us, they kept the prick who can't coach and let go of the guy who could. Ax is definitely ripe for the pick'n.

Making fun of Badgers may be good sport, but the reasons these guys are leaving are no different than the reasons Brent Singleton, JD Pride, Tyrone Bouie, Leston Simpson, Dwayne Mitchell, and Tom Parish left our team.

Making fun of Badgers may be good sport, but the reasons these guys are leaving are no different than the reasons Brent Singleton, JD Pride, Tyrone Bouie, Leston Simpson, Dwayne Mitchell, and Tom Parish left our team.

I don't think any of them left a week before the season starts, however.

The depth chart was released on Monday, this news came out on Tuesday. Most likely not a coincidence or a sign of impending doom for the program. I would think that you would learn from the mistakes of the past, where GHolers have been stating for six years now that the Badgers were about to fall off a cliff with Bielema at the helm. It's only gotten better.

I think that both programs are in better shape than they were a few years ago. While it might take the Gophers a couple more years to catch up, the rivalry is coming back.

Every player on the fringes of a program has to make a choice: stick it out with limited playing time, or maybe on special teams - OR leave the program and look for something different/better. In the end, every player has to make the choice that is best for their situation. On the one hand, there's something to be said for honoring a commitment and hanging in there. On the other hand, it's a tough pill to swallow when you're told that "you're not good enough to be a starter/major contributor." For some players, going to a smaller FBS program or a FCS program may be the better choice. I knew a kid who walked on at Iowa State, sat on the bench for a couple years, then transferred to a D3 school and wound up leading them on a couple of nice playoff runs.

Having said all that, I agree the timing of the transfers is interesting. You would think that, if a player had no future in a program, the coach would prefer to let them know sooner so they could transfer earlier and give the program a chance to replace them on the roster.

The depth chart was released on Monday, this news came out on Tuesday. Most likely not a coincidence or a sign of impending doom for the program. I would think that you would learn from the mistakes of the past, where GHolers have been stating for six years now that the Badgers were about to fall off a cliff with Bielema at the helm. It's only gotten better.

I think that both programs are in better shape than they were a few years ago. While it might take the Gophers a couple more years to catch up, the rivalry is coming back.

I think it's a relatively small portion of GH that thinks the program is about to collapse. I had some thoughts of it after the 2008 season. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out over the long haul without Chryst. I'm not saying anything like "it's the beginning of the end" or anything like that, I just think Chryst is a hell of a coach and any program would be worse off without him.

That said, losing a couple players during camp is not an issue at all. It happens everywhere. Typically, the guys quit around spring ball because they see the writing on the well. We lost a couple players for similar reasons. The Badgers will be fine and I doubt that these guys leaving the team was anything but kids wanting a chance to play.

I think it's a relatively small portion of GH that thinks the program is about to collapse. I had some thoughts of it after the 2008 season. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out over the long haul without Chryst. I'm not saying anything like "it's the beginning of the end" or anything like that, I just think Chryst is a hell of a coach and any program would be worse off without him.

That said, losing a couple players during camp is not an issue at all. It happens everywhere. Typically, the guys quit around spring ball because they see the writing on the well. We lost a couple players for similar reasons. The Badgers will be fine and I doubt that these guys leaving the team was anything but kids wanting a chance to play.

I agree about Chryst, in some regards. He was obviously a great Offensive Coordinator who was able to elevate the Badger offense beyond the power rushing game into a balanced attack. He was also very good at working with quarterbacks, with Tolzien and Wilson having great seasons the last two years. It would have been nice to see what he was able to do with Houston and O'Brien.

At the same time, he was not a good recruiter at all, so having an OC that might be able to help there will be a good thing. If that OC can retain 85% of the effectiveness that Chryst had as a play-caller and game-planner, I think that Badger fans would be happy.

Well it certainly is not a sign of a crumbling program when you have assistant coaches leaving for head coaching jobs. That's a good thing and likely represents more health of a program than coming collapse. Wisconsin truly blew it last year as they had the right qb and the right team to play for a national championship. I doubt they could have beat LSU or ALabama, but getting there would be something. I would expect things to take a step back this year with new OC and a new QB. And just because the transfer worked last year doesn't mean this year is any guarantee. All that said, Wisconsin should be favored by about 14-21 points when we once again meet up. So it would take a major upset to beat them. I don't much care abou tfringe players leaving either. That happens at every program as some kids are unhappy with their playing time or their own ability (which leads to limited PT).

For right now, the best of the Big Ten cannot play with the best in the SEC. I would guess the 3rd best team in the SEC E or W would take top honors in the Big Ten. 100 yrs is a good run.

Well it certainly is not a sign of a crumbling program when you have assistant coaches leaving for head coaching jobs. That's a good thing and likely represents more health of a program than coming collapse. Wisconsin truly blew it last year as they had the right qb and the right team to play for a national championship. I doubt they could have beat LSU or ALabama, but getting there would be something. I would expect things to take a step back this year with new OC and a new QB. And just because the transfer worked last year doesn't mean this year is any guarantee. All that said, Wisconsin should be favored by about 14-21 points when we once again meet up. So it would take a major upset to beat them. I don't much care abou tfringe players leaving either. That happens at every program as some kids are unhappy with their playing time or their own ability (which leads to limited PT).

I agree, but they still won the Big 10 and played in the Rose Bowl. They had an outside chance of playing for a National Championship and they did squander that opportunity, but all in all. . .it was a fantastic season.

0:24 for a troll response. Badgerhawk? You do have your own board, you know. Pathetic.
I would love to know why it bothers you when a rival fan posts here even when the post is as tame and logical as that one?

Anyone else find it a little odd that garner transitioned from defensive end to wide reciever? I would think usually it is the other way around. Maybe he was DE in highschool and was recruited as that but had decent speed and hands or something.

I would love to know why it bothers you when a rival fan posts here even when the post is as tame and logical as that one?

Because "rival fans" should just stay away from other boards. It's classless and as I said, pathetic. I wouldn't know what she said, as she's on the ignore list. I find it sad that someone would take the time to even look, let alone post.

For right now, the best of the Big Ten cannot play with the best in the SEC. I would guess the 3rd best team in the SEC E or W would take top honors in the Big Ten. 100 yrs is a good run.

In 2 years Urban and OSU will be in the chase.

Because "rival fans" should just stay away from other boards. It's classless and as I said, pathetic. I wouldn't know what she said, as she's on the ignore list. I find it sad that someone would take the time to even look, let alone post.

Badger fan is here because of insecurity and a desparation for respect and some kind of validation. It kills them that regardless of recent success, they will never, EVER be Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, or Penn State. They'll have the occasional GREAT year or two that might be better than one or several of those schools, but will never boast the tradition and national respect of those four schools.

They've had a great run though, just like Purdue did during much of the Tiller years and like Northwestern in the mid-90's, just to name a few. There's nothing with being the 4th-6th best program in the BT. It's a strong conference with some great tradition.

If you think otherwise, just turn on ESPN tonight. If Wisky was banned from the postseason this year, do you think ESPN would be balls deep in their fall training camp like they are in Columbus? Not on your life.

Top Bottom