3 hour Belotti commercial

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
That was what the Oregon-UCLA game last night was for me. I'm struggling to remember a time I've seen a college team that looked more polished. I realize he's not the current head coach, but he had a lot to do with putting the current pieces in place. Plus he's available immediately. Let's pony up the cash, hire him, and be done with it.

I agree. I didn't watch the whole game as I was surfing between baseball, football, and SVU re-runs, but that is one tremendous team. It's always fun to watch a team that plays at such a frenetic pace not make mental errors. I'm down with a Belotti hire.

I believe Kelly runs the same style no-huddle up tempo style of spread at Notre Dame. Kelly doesn't seem to go too far to the RB as a QB that Rich Rod does, or the QB is just a thrower that Leach does. If my memory is correct of cincy last year it looks similar to what Oregon runs without the execution that Oregon is operating at right now.

What scares me about that offense is that a very physical front 7 can blow up spread option really quickly which is what the Big Ten is known for.

The thing about Chip Kelly's offense is that he runs it WAY faster than anyone (Notre Dame included). There's something like 20-25 seconds between plays, which flusters the defense and doesn't allow them to get in the right positions or rotate guys in and out.

IF Bellotti were to come here, you wouldn't see this style of play. His was more of a traditional offense. However, he did get the pieces in motion and I would LOVE to see the rest of the staff Bellotti would bring in. His coaching tree is very, very solid.

I was trying to do work last night. I thought Oregon's game plan every week is try to get 2 plays off in 30-45s. Sometimes you go slow one play, and then you run to the line next play. The defense doesn't get comfortable.

I believe Kelly runs the same style no-huddle up tempo style of spread at Notre Dame. Kelly doesn't seem to go too far to the RB as a QB that Rich Rod does, or the QB is just a thrower that Leach does. If my memory is correct of cincy last year it looks similar to what Oregon runs without the execution that Oregon is operating at right now.

What scares me about that offense is that a very physical front 7 can blow up spread option really quickly which is what the Big Ten is known for.

That's the problem with any spread. Remember how USC blew up Illinois in the Rose Bowl. The Illini got off some big plays, but if you "force" the QB early in the play (and--this is the big part--have DBs that can play man-to-man), you can defuse the spread.

The DB part is big. I think the reason the Gophers lost to Northwestern was that the CBs weren't even in the same area code as the WRs and the 7-yard out was there all day. Take that away and put a helmet on Persa, that offense goes nowhere. You saw the same thing last night. UCLAs DBs were just giving it up on the short routes.

I think Belotti could be a win-win, he would get younger fans excited for the Oregon style of play while appeasing the Gopher traditionalists who could appreciate his track record and relative stability (when compared with Brewster).

A very physical front 7 can blow up a spread option, a pro-style, even a power running attack like WI can get blown up by a physical front 7.
I just want a coach that has proven he can implement and run his style effectively. No matter what the style. I'm warming up to Bellotti.

That's the problem with any spread. Remember how USC blew up Illinois in the Rose Bowl. The Illini got off some big plays, but if you "force" the QB early in the play (and--this is the big part--have DBs that can play man-to-man), you can defuse the spread.

The DB part is big. I think the reason the Gophers lost to Northwestern was that the CBs weren't even in the same area code as the WRs and the 7-yard out was there all day. Take that away and put a helmet on Persa, that offense goes nowhere. You saw the same thing last night. UCLAs DBs were just giving it up on the short routes.

USC blows up a lot of offenses. At least that years version did.

I read somewhere (before lst night's game) that Oregon was averaging 18 seconds between plays. By far the fastest in the nation. To give an idea of how efficient that is, typical hurry-up offenses aim for under 25 seconds between plays.

A very physical front 7 can blow up a spread option, a pro-style, even a power running attack like WI can get blown up by a physical front 7.
I just want a coach that has proven he can implement and run his style effectively. No matter what the style. I'm warming up to Bellotti.

This is the ringing endorsement for the leach people. The air raid throws a lot faster so the physical front 7 is neutralized by sweeps (either by hand offs or swing routes) and then flooding zones with 3-4 receivers.

However in a pro-style power running attack you have more options to counter the physicality of a front 7 including multiple TE's, physical fullbacks, or even running right at them. The spread option has a limitation of running horizontally first before getting up field. That is why a physical front 7 is more devastating for that type of offense.

While in general I like Bellotti as a candidate don't confuse what we saw last night (and this year) as being a true reflection. This current style of spread offense is more a reflection of Chip Kelly and what he brought from New Hampshire than what was already at Oregon.

But didn't Bellotti bring in Kelly to run this style? That is the big thing for me, is that he recognized what he needed and brought in the coordinator that could make it work and it has had lasting results at that program.

The more I think about it, the more I like the Bellotti idea. The guy has a great track record, he can turn things around and bring in the right guy to take over when he is ready to retire.

But didn't Bellotti bring in Kelly to run this style? That is the big thing for me, is that he recognized what he needed and brought in the coordinator that could make it work and it has had lasting results at that program.

The more I think about it, the more I like the Bellotti idea. The guy has a great track record, he can turn things around and bring in the right guy to take over when he is ready to retire.

I agree, but I hope Bellotti doesn't come in already planning his exit strategy. My point was to simply not confuse Oregon of today with the Oregon of Bellotti, but acknowledge that there is a cause and effect relationship.

He is the answer

Hire Bellotti now, don't wait. Oregon isn't exactly a hotbed of high school football talent, and look at what he built. He can start recruiting and pulling staff together immediately.
Whats even more impressive is his eye for assistant coaches and staff, come here and coach for 5-7 years and bring an O or D coordinator that can take the reigns when he's ready to retire, again.

My biggest concern with Bellotti is will he be able to replicate his success with the limited resources he will have at his disposal working for the U. I don't know how limited they will be, but they certainly will be less than what he had working for the Phil Knight Athletic Department at the University of Oregon. How will he take it when he wins a battle for a recruit who isn't granted admission to the U even though that recruit cleared the NCAA clearing house. Their are several issues at the U that he didn't face at Oregon. Will he embrace the challenge or resign to the belief that the Administration isn't committed to being a winning BigTen Program.

I agree, but I hope Bellotti doesn't come in already planning his exit strategy. My point was to simply not confuse Oregon of today with the Oregon of Bellotti, but acknowledge that there is a cause and effect relationship.

Bellotti has run lots of different offenses with lots of different OC's. They ran a pro-style under Tedford and then transitioned to various versions of spread offenses eventually getting to what they have now with Kelly. From what I can tell Bellotti finds good coordinators that reflect what they can run effectively and he lets them run the offense with his input. What we'd see here would reflect our talent and what we can recruit as well as who he is able to discover next.

I'd love to see Bellotti here with Bryan Harsin, the Boise St. OC, because we can give him a raise and it seems clear that Chris Peterson isn't going anywhere in the near future so he has a better chance of being promoted to HC at Minnesota. Keep in mind, Peterson worked for Bellotti at Oregon before taking over as OC at Boise St. Harsin is only 32 so he probably isn't ready for a HC job now but 5-7 years from now (about how long you'd expect oto have Bellotti around) he'd be probably be ready.

Bellotti has run lots of different offenses with lots of different OC's. They ran a pro-style under Tedford and then transitioned to various versions of spread offenses eventually getting to what they have now with Kelly. From what I can tell Bellotti finds good coordinators that reflect what they can run effectively and he lets them run the offense with his input. What we'd see here would reflect our talent and what we can recruit as well as who he is able to discover next.

I'd love to see Bellotti here with Bryan Harsin, the Boise St. OC, because we can give him a raise and it seems clear that Chris Peterson isn't going anywhere in the near future so he has a better chance of being promoted to HC at Minnesota. Keep in mind, Peterson worked for Bellotti at Oregon before taking over as OC at Boise St. Harsin is only 32 so he probably isn't ready for a HC job now but 5-7 years from now (about how long you'd expect oto have Bellotti around) he'd be probably be ready.

Thanks for the info regarding Bellotti.

Is anyone a member of Gopher Illustrated? They have an article discussing the Minnesota opening with Belloti up right now.

Fan of Bellotti

I'm a fan of his as well and would be excited with his hire, but their are still 2-3 guys I would prefer, Troy Calhoun is one of them.

the real positives for Belotti are he can coach, pick the right coordinators, recruit and is FLEXIBLE, he can evolve and change rather than clinging bullheadedly to a single concept.

Also another positive is that Marquies tweeted about how good Oregon looked last night and also retweeted an interview with Belotti regarding our coachin vacancy. I believe it was the gopher illustrated one a previous poster alluded to. Our best player would be on board with Belotti as coach.

the real positives for Belotti are he can coach, pick the right coordinators, recruit and is FLEXIBLE, he can evolve and change rather than clinging bullheadedly to a single concept.

Belotti very much seems like a CEO head coach, which is probably why Oregon thought he would be a good AD, who would get a taste of the landscape and design the best possible system for succeeding in Minnesota and hiring stable assistant coaches who share in this vision.

A bird in hand... I'm really getting on board with the idea of Bellotti. Yes, guys like Harbaugh would be a true homerun, but why not grab a guaranteed triple while we can? Waiting for an active coach can carry huge risks. As far as his age is concerned, I think he'd be motivated to leave a legacy as a winner, and if we can get 5-8 years out of him while grooming an assistant to take over that would be more stability than we've had for decades.

Also another positive is that Marquies tweeted about how good Oregon looked last night and also retweeted an interview with Belotti regarding our coachin vacancy. I believe it was the gopher illustrated one a previous poster alluded to. Our best player would be on board with Belotti as coach.

Gray would be a perfect fit into that O, Dennis Dixonesque.
If he can be had, sign him up ASAP.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that Gray would be on board with Bellotti. In the scene of my avatar, sitting next to Minnesota's hat on the table at the Army AA game was a green one with a yellow O.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that Gray would be on board with Bellotti. In the scene of my avatar, sitting next to Minnesota's hat on the table at the Army AA game was a green one with a yellow O.

I was thinking about that last night. How must he feel watching that game last night.

I'm a fan of his as well and would be excited with his hire, but their are still 2-3 guys I would prefer, Troy Calhoun is one of them.

Do we really wanna hire a coach who actually lost to a Brewster coached team?:) Thats my only knock against him. I know it sounds dumb but that fact honestly bothers me a little.

I'm all for Belotti but didn't he voluntarily retire from coaching to become AD? Why would he now unretire? Has he shown any actual interest in this job?

Top Bottom