3 Committed players didn't sign

JD clearly has been pretty quiet as far as I know. I haven't seen anything out of him stating that he is looking forward to finishing his football career at Nebraska. Surely he must be aware of all the rumors out there. Any thoughts?
He likes his vague tweets and etc.

I don't think not saying anything means anything.

Word has it he graduates in the spring, there's no reason to start a brush fire / decide until then.

He likes his vague tweets and etc.

I don't think not saying anything means anything.

Word has it he graduates in the spring, there's no reason to start a brush fire / decide until then.
Thanks Slab, makes sense.

2 WR and sort of a hybrid. I saw Dylan McGill listed as WR/Wildcat QB.

On a side note, this means we only signed 3 WR, 3 OL, 5 DB, 4 LB, and 6 DL. I only bring that up because there was some concern about this class being too WR-heavy.
Mcgill is being recruited as a WR.

My understanding is that grad transfers do not count against the annual 25 but do count against the total 85
Grad students transfer or home grown do not count toward the 85.

Home grown?
Yes, home grown. Player gets degree at school. Enters grad school at same school got degree from. Stays at school and plays football. Home grown grad student. Scholarship doesn’t count.

Grad students transfer or home grown do not count toward the 85.
You could very well be right, but I’d like to see something backing it up.

Otherwise, I have no reason to believe that any scholarship player, participating on the team, doesn’t count towards the limit.

It is an interesting concept, to talk about. The idea that, if you graduate with an undergraduate degree and still have time left in your 5 year clock to play, that you should get to transfer to any school you want, play on that school's team, and not count against the 85.

I don't think that is the rule now. Could be wrong, but pretty sure it isn't.

But what if that was the rule? I think you'd be seeing a lot more players graduate with an undergrad degree in three years. If you're talking large course loads in spring and summer, and a decent amount in fall, plus if you've taken college credit courses in high school, and there's also enrolling early .... it really should be possible to get your degree in three years. Maybe even 2.5 years.

It is an interesting concept, to talk about. The idea that, if you graduate with an undergraduate degree and still have time left in your 5 year clock to play, that you should get to transfer to any school you want, play on that school's team, and not count against the 85.

I don't think that is the rule now. Could be wrong, but pretty sure it isn't.

But what if that was the rule? I think you'd be seeing a lot more players graduate with an undergrad degree in three years. If you're talking large course loads in spring and summer, and a decent amount in fall, plus if you've taken college credit courses in high school, and there's also enrolling early .... it really should be possible to get your degree in three years. Maybe even 2.5 years.

We already see guys doing the 3 year deal and transfer more often.

Not counting towards the 85.... not sure I like that, the limits were there to establish even just the slightest competitive balance.

Even those rules had to be changed here and there as big teams would hide scholarship players in other sports (give them a baseball scholarship, but not football and play in both sports) ... it was NOT something that helped lesser teams.

We already see guys doing the 3 year deal and transfer more often.

Not counting towards the 85.... not sure I like that, the limits were there to establish even just the slightest competitive balance.

Even those rules had to be changed here and there as big teams would hide scholarship players in other sports (give them a baseball scholarship, but not football and play in both sports) ... it was NOT something that helped lesser teams.
Sure, valid side of the argument.

But as a counter-example, look at a guy like St Juste. He clearly helped us this season. Grad transferred here after earning his undergrad degree from Michigan (which is a great academic school) in three years (and he had an extended six year clock, I believe).

Sure, valid side of the argument.

But as a counter-example, look at a guy like St Juste. He clearly helped us this season. Grad transferred here after earning his undergrad degree from Michigan (which is a great academic school) in three years (and he had an extended six year clock, I believe).

Yeah but I feel like that's the same system / result.

The limits were there to add competitive balance to some extent.

Take that away and:

We get some random good transfers once in a while and it doesn't count against the 85 ... big schools still stack up their own transfers and that will be a hell of a lot more than one once in a while ...

Yeah but I feel like that's the same system / result.

The limits were there to add competitive balance to some extent.

Take that away and:

We get some random good transfers once in a while and it doesn't count against the 85 ... big schools still stack up their own transfers and that will be a hell of a lot more than one once in a while ...
Again, sure, I think you're correct to some extent.

The reason I wouldn't be as worried, is that I think guys who transfer want to play, not sit on the bench. Sure, some of the grad transfers will be super-stars that can legit play at Alabama, Clemson, etc. But most won't. If they want to play, they should be transferring to the Minnesota's, Wake Forest's, Kansas's etc of the P5 world.

Again, sure, I think you're correct to some extent.

The reason I wouldn't be as worried, is that I think guys who transfer want to play, not sit on the bench. Sure, some of the grad transfers will be super-stars that can legit play at Alabama, Clemson, etc. But most won't. If they want to play, they should be transferring to the Minnesota's, Wake Forest's, Kansas's etc of the P5 world.

Everyone wants to play.

On signing day they still largely choose to line up behind 5* players on big name teams, and the folks who transfer are those who aren't doing as well.

I really see very little change if that is how it plays out.

Fair enough, like I said was just an interesting idea for discussion. Don't think the rules are going to change any time soon.

Fair enough, like I said was just an interesting idea for discussion. Don't think the rules are going to change any time soon.
It is a great idea for discussion purposes. As part of that discussion it is important to know that there are always unintended consequences. Good ones and bad ones. I don't have any idea what those might be, but I like the idea of looking into it.

IMO, you have earned every right to transfer if you graduate after your Junior year for "free".

IMO, you have earned every right to transfer if you graduate after your Junior year for "free".
I’m not sure what you mean by “free”. Do you mean without having to sit out a year, or not counting towards the scholarship limit, or something else?

Yes, home grown. Player gets degree at school. Enters grad school at same school got degree from. Stays at school and plays football. Home grown grad student. Scholarship doesn’t count.
Say what now? That is amazingly inaccurate.

To be clear:

1. Any new scholarship player counts against the 25 - high school signee, junior college signee, undergraduate transfer, graduate transfer. Depending on circumstances, they can be part of a current, prior, or future class.

2. All scholarship players count against the 85 limit.

M
To be clear:

1. Any new scholarship player counts against the 25 - high school signee, junior college signee, undergraduate transfer, graduate transfer. Depending on circumstances, they can be part of a current, prior, or future class.

Everyone knows this except HWM who just continues to pedal inaccurate drivel.

To be clear:

This is correct, as far as I know.

To be clear:

Can you imagine if #2 wasn't true? Think of the "degrees" the SEC schools would be granting to get kids into graduate school so they didn't count toward the 85.

I’m not sure what you mean by “free”. Do you mean without having to sit out a year, or not counting towards the scholarship limit, or something else?
Sit out a year and not count towards the scholarship limit.

According to 247, Justin Bellido has signed with Boston College.

Top Bottom