3 Committed players didn't sign

According to 247, Justin Bellido has signed with Boston College.

If he was going to have trouble getting admitted here, it seems like the same would be true at Boston College, right? Maybe we don’t know the whole story. I think we’re just fine at WR.

If he was going to have trouble getting admitted here, it seems like the same would be true at Boston College, right? Maybe we don’t know the whole story. I think we’re just fine at WR.
Well he didn't get his SAT scores back until after signing day.

But I'm glad Bellido ended up at BC as I'd prefer we aim higher or take a transfer with the final spot and Bellido can still end up at a P5 close to home at a good school.

Well he didn't get his SAT scores back until after signing day.

But I'm glad Bellido ended up at BC as I'd prefer we aim higher or take a transfer with the final spot and Bellido can still end up at a P5 close to home at a good school.
I’m sure Justin is ecstatic that you feel his consolation prize is good enough.

I think who takes who or even a chance on who is a lot more amorphous than what we think admission standards are for non athletes.

Also let's be 100% clear, he can sign at BC ... and still not qualify. So just signing at BC doesn't really tell us much.

I wish him the best and I hope he has a great time.

Qualifying is a pretty low bar. I think you need fairly minimum GPA and standardized tests scores to qualify as a DI athlete with the NCAA.

Once you qualify, it's still up to the school to admit you or not. But I have a feeling that most P5 schools have a quota in the admissions office about letting athletes in who are well below the average incoming freshmen in terms of academic merit. Probably only a very select few who still enforce that ... maybe the Stanfords, etc. of the P5 world.

Why all this talk about it being academics? Is there any indication that is why he didn’t sign here or is that just what we want to believe so we don’t have to acknowledge the possibility something less kind happened?

Is there any indication that is why he didn’t sign here
Yes.

Bellido had to retake his SAT last week. Also Mcgill and Thomas had to retake their ACT last Saturday which is why they weren’t here on OV’s over the weekend. They all had work to do to get in. Bellido just got his scores back yesterday.

Sit out a year and not count towards the scholarship limit.

They don’t sit out a year. If they didn’t have to count towards the 85 they would be THE hottest commodities. It would change everything about CFB recruiting.

I thought I saw somewhere that Bellido committed to BC.

Yes.

Bellido had to retake his SAT last week. Also Mcgill and Thomas had to retake their ACT last Saturday which is why they weren’t here on OV’s over the weekend. They all had work to do to get in. Bellido just got his scores back yesterday.
Wow. OK. I find it amazing that the public can know all this. Thanks for the info.

Yep. With all this talk about test scores, so apparently BC is easier to get into than the U.
Not sure how quickly they get their ACT scores but it's possible MN just wasn't willing to wait to see how the test went and miss out on another player. And after taking the test again he now scored high enough? Just a guess.

He was supposedly committed and ready to sign after his visit.

Here’s a picture of him with 3 teammates on Wednesday morning, wearing Gopher gear, but he couldn’t sign. I’m willing to accept that there might have been too many bodies for the available spots, and that they were in fact going to try to resolve that by February. I certainly don’t blame him for moving on.

He was supposedly committed and ready to sign after his visit.

Here’s a picture of him with 3 teammates on Wednesday morning, wearing Gopher gear, but he couldn’t sign. I’m willing to accept that there might have been too many bodies for the available spots, and that they were in fact going to try to resolve that by February. I certainly don’t blame him for moving on.

Second thing I notice in the picture is the teeny tiny Rutgers banner...too funny.

Why all this talk about it being academics? Is there any indication that is why he didn’t sign here or is that just what we want to believe so we don’t have to acknowledge the possibility something less kind happened?

Shut up!

It was academics! He did not qualify here.

Shut up!

It was academics! He did not qualify here.
Yeah, I know. Others provided details after my post and I thanked them for the info. Thanks for following along.

Yeah, I know. Others provided details after my post and I thanked them for the info. Thanks for following along.

I"m sure everyone is ecstatic you now have it understood. Think of it like others being happy
Bellido is close to home.

Dakota Thomas is no longer listed as committed additionally he visited Western Kentucky on 1/25.

Top Bottom