2024 Recruiting

Theres a good young core to build around now, hit the transfer market the next couple years and then hit the 25 and 26 classes hard
This makes perfect sense, especially because until Lindsay receives an extension, which won't happen before many (most?) of the '24 class makes their commitments, Lindsay has a a very tough sell to the '24 class.

Probably the same guy or woman that told me Gianna Kneepkens was a D2 talent!!!!

To me this is not news of any significance to the Gophers. Her family is North Carolina fanatics. Her dad never misses a game.

It's not a stain on Whalen's record. It's irrelevant, non-controllable. At least she put Minnesota on her final 6.

To me this is not news of any significance to the Gophers. Her family is North Carolina fanatics. Her dad never misses a game.

It's not a stain on Whalen's record. It's irrelevant, non-controllable. At least she put Minnesota on her final 6.

Name the last native Minnesotan who didn't put Minnesota in his/her final 6. Means nothing.

A little more info:

Zubich first entered the UNC staff's radar in June 2021 during camp in Chapel Hill.

"They just kind of noticed me while I was there, and asked what grade I was in," she said. "I was talking to Courtney and had some phone calls with her after that. We started talking a lot after that."

While at camp, Zubich's counselor was former UNC player Taylor Koenen, a fellow Minnesotan who played for the Minnesota Fury on the Under Armour AAU circuit.

"When I first got to camp, she was kind of like my coach for a couple of drills," explained Zubich. "She asked where I’m from and I told her I was from Minnesota too. That kind of was like a little bit of a comfort in a way. She talked about the transition to college and from a place like home to North Carolina. Even now, she’s just very helpful and has regularly reached out on social media. (Since the visit), I've talked to (UNC junior guard/forward) Alyssa Utsby a lot. She played for Minnesota Fury and she loves it there. (UNC). She could not say enough good things."

Name the last native Minnesotan who didn't put Minnesota in his/her final 6. Means nothing.
I thought the gals who went to Arizona and Stanford didn’t have the Gophes on their lists?

I thought the gals who went to Arizona and Stanford didn’t have the Gophes on their lists?
I guess what I was trying to say is, local players often put the Gophers in their final group just to mollify the Gopher fans even if they have no intention of going to the U. Public relations, you might say.

I can speak to my knowledge in speaking with the players, while yes I would say 5-8 years ago, it was almost expected that the Gophers would be on the finalist list, that is not the case anymore.

Back in the day, Rebekah Dahlman literally took an official visit at Minnesota knowing full well she wasn't really considering them but it was just party with her friends who were on the Gopher team that she had played AAU basketball with.

Now, players and coaches are a lot more up front with each other.

-2022 Nnaji didn't have gophers have her top 13 list

-2023 Nunu Agara made it clear as an unofficial visit that there wasn't interest

-2024 Liv McGill let them know they are no longer in the running

-2023 Kennedy Sanders was not considering them in the end

they were even aware while on Zubich's final list they were not the favorite. Similar to Sophie Hart's original commitment out of high school, they knew they were not likely the pick but still pushed forward.

I would say since the class of 2020 the only two local recruits who went out of state that caught the staff really off guard was Alyssa Ustby and Taylor Woodson. They truly thought to be the favorites for them both. Tessa for awhile was considered the favorite but the more South Carolina got involved the more they realized they were not going to win that battle.

If you want an update for who is actually interested/legit chance vs HIGHLY UNLIKELY here is the update

Actually considering

-2025 Jordan Ode
-2025 Addi Mack
-2026 Tori Oerhlein

Long short/highly unlikely

-2025 Aaliyah Crump
-2025 Kendall McGee
-2026 Maddyn Greenway
-2028 Chloe Johnson

These are the top names coming up right now in the State. All have an offer from MN or will any day now but this helps weed out actually considering against just holding an offer.

I can speak to my knowledge in speaking with the players, while yes I would say 5-8 years ago, it was almost expected that the Gophers would be on the finalist list, that is not the case anymore.

Back in the day, Rebekah Dahlman literally took an official visit at Minnesota knowing full well she wasn't really considering them but it was just party with her friends who were on the Gopher team that she had played AAU basketball with.

Now, players and coaches are a lot more up front with each other.

-2022 Nnaji didn't have gophers have her top 13 list

-2023 Nunu Agara made it clear as an unofficial visit that there wasn't interest

-2024 Liv McGill let them know they are no longer in the running

-2023 Kennedy Sanders was not considering them in the end

they were even aware while on Zubich's final list they were not the favorite. Similar to Sophie Hart's original commitment out of high school, they knew they were not likely the pick but still pushed forward.

I would say since the class of 2020 the only two local recruits who went out of state that caught the staff really off guard was Alyssa Ustby and Taylor Woodson. They truly thought to be the favorites for them both. Tessa for awhile was considered the favorite but the more South Carolina got involved the more they realized they were not going to win that battle.

If you want an update for who is actually interested/legit chance vs HIGHLY UNLIKELY here is the update

Actually considering

-2025 Jordan Ode
-2025 Addi Mack
-2026 Tori Oerhlein

Long short/highly unlikely

-2025 Aaliyah Crump
-2025 Kendall McGee
-2026 Maddyn Greenway
-2028 Chloe Johnson

These are the top names coming up right now in the State. All have an offer from MN or will any day now but this helps weed out actually considering against just holding an offer.
Thanks.

The word on Tessa Johnson from STMA was South Carolina had 25K NIL deal for her. This is what college sports has come to: the creation of the haves and the have nots. Remember when Whalen, Schonrock, McCarville, Bolden, Roysland and Co. made that historic run. Hang on to those memories because it probably won't happen again.

HHe

"PG Alivia McGill
Hopkins High School (Minnesota)
espnW rating: Four stars

McGill came off the bench as a freshman for a loaded Hopkins team that spent the past two seasons near the top of the espnW Power Rankings. She is an aggressive guard whose energy is reminiscent of Las Vegas Aces guard Riquna Williams.

McGill, who averaged 12.8 points, 2.6 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.8 steals, can score it from all three levels and moves very well without the ball. Plus, she gives consistent effort on defense.

As she enters the summer, she is being recruited by schools such as Florida, Minnesota, North Carolina, Pitt, Boston College, Michigan and DePaul."

Unknown if currently recruiting or if she has an officialwhere did

"PG Alivia McGill
Hopkins High School (Minnesota)
espnW rating: Four stars

McGill came off the bench as a freshman for a loaded Hopkins team that spent the past two seasons near the top of the espnW Power Rankings. She is an aggressive guard whose energy is reminiscent of Las Vegas Aces guard Riquna Williams.

McGill, who averaged 12.8 points, 2.6 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.8 steals, can score it from all three levels and moves very well without the ball. Plus, she gives consistent effort on defense.

As she enters the summer, she is being recruited by schools such as Florida, Minnesota, North Carolina, Pitt, Boston College, Michigan and DePaul."

Unknown if currently recruiting or if she has an official offer.
Curious how you got McGill's stats. The basketball hub only has points for a lot of schools. Is there a webpage with Hopkins stats? For other team's stats, other than what's on the hub? Would love to find these stats.

I'm frustrated that most programs don't post stats other than points. How many assists did the U of M freshman have last year? Don't know. If they had very few it might explain why this year's team doesn't share the ball well. Is Katie a good 3 point shooter that is in a slump, or not a good shooter. Don't know because of no stats.

And it's all about keeping the elite teams elite. There appears to be no policing. That's sad for we the fans!!!

HHe

Curious how you got McGill's stats. The basketball hub only has points for a lot of schools. Is there a webpage with Hopkins stats? For other team's stats, other than what's on the hub? Would love to find these stats.

I'm frustrated that most programs don't post stats other than points. How many assists did the U of M freshman have last year? Don't know. If they had very few it might explain why this year's team doesn't share the ball well. Is Katie a good 3 point shooter that is in a slump, or not a good shooter. Don't know because of no stats.
Don't care that McGill's only 5-7, she is so fast and an excellent passer. Tough on the ball defender. Hopefully the next Gophers head coach makes a good connection. McGill is a great player. I need to win the lottery so I can create an NIL slush fund for Gophers WBB. Doesn't have to be me but wish a Gophers women's BBall fan would win lottery. I hope McGill changes her mind, she plays well at Williams Arena and at least gives the next head coach some consideration. I suppose not likely.

Last edited:

The latest 2024 rankings from ESPN HoopGurlz:

That list is sometimes off and misses players too. It's a starting point.

And here is 2025:

And 2023 (none coming to Minnesota):

The word on Tessa Johnson from STMA was South Carolina had 25K NIL deal for her. This is what college sports has come to: the creation of the haves and the have nots. Remember when Whalen, Schonrock, McCarville, Bolden, Roysland and Co. made that historic run. Hang on to those memories because it probably won't happen again.
This town and state loves women's sports. I think there is potential for better female NIL than male in this program. It will be interesting to see what happens if they get rolling to victories.

The latest 2024 rankings from ESPN HoopGurlz:

That list is sometimes off and misses players too. It's a starting point.

And here is 2025:

And 2023 (none coming to Minnesota):

You gotta think Grocholski (class of 23) would be looking at this hire with big eyes.....she's from Wisconsin so she'd be closer to home. She could play in the B10 for the coach she committed to.... :clap::cool:

HHe

Gophers had 410 assists to opponents 398
Gophers had 460 turnovers to opponents 410 assists.

Freshmen (Braun, Heyer, Battle) averaged 8.3 of 15.2 assists per game. Men's team average 14.6 per game.

This town and state loves women's sports. I think there is potential for better female NIL than male in this program. It will be interesting to see what happens if they get rolling to victories.
Also more exposure for women’s sports at the college level relative to men’s compared to pro sports. Terrible word salad but the difference between what a female pro will make playing and through endorsements will be a lot smaller from college to pro than for men. My guess is the difference in endorsement value between a well known college player and a pro is negligible for women. On the mens side, with a few exceptions, is huge. That is an opening for college women NIL, I think.

Big Ten states keep shedding elite talent to non-BIG schools.

I've seen her play a handful of times. Frankly, I was surprised when she got the Gopher offer. She obviously has size, and is young so she has time to develop, but she hardly dominated this year playing against not-great competition. I have no idea how she performed on the AAU circuit, but I have a feeling this might have been a mutual decision.

I've seen her play a handful of times. Frankly, I was surprised when she got the Gopher offer. She obviously has size, and is young so she has time to develop, but she hardly dominated this year playing against not-great competition. I have no idea how she performed on the AAU circuit, but I have a feeling this might have been a mutual decision.

She is not ranked in the top 5 players that year by PrepGirlsHoops for her state. I can't see the whole list. She is not a ranked player. She could be good, just not good enough to be ranked yet.

Reading the tea leaves, I am guessing that local coaches including AAU would have told Coyle that Coach P is a successful presence. And then not sure why Duffy was not successful here at that. Based on various comments. And then there were some coaches to the East mentioned as candidates that probably were used to recruiting elsewhere. All those could probably get that going here but with Coach P she is known for thst already.

Alyssa Wirth has re opened her commitment according to Twitter. So she is no longer coming to Minnesota.

Lindsay, Carly, and Kelly did much to repair the relationships between the U and local HS and AAU programs that Marlene inexplicably allowed to whither. The culmination of this effort was the 2022 class ranked Top 10 in the nation.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that class is now looking like a blip rather than the start of a sustainable trend upward. The follow-up 2023 class was disappointing considering the regional talent that was available to be recruited. And then Top 10 prospect Olivia Olson (2024) joined fellow Top 100 prospect Taylor Woodson (2023), whom the Gophers thought they had a good chance to land, as a Michigan recruit.

In addition, I believe there were four other local 2023 players ranked in ESPN’s Top 100 including at least one McDonald’s All America game participant. However, unless you know the inner-workings of how their recruitment went, you don’t really know whether there was anything the staff could have done differently. Each case stands on its own. But the fact remains that the Gophers essentially struck out on all of the top-tier locals in the classes of 2023 and 2024.

One could argue that the problem with landing such a talented 2022 class is that talented local 2023s and possibly even 2024s wouldn’t be able to see a path to enough early playing time to seriously consider the Gophers.

The counter-argument of course is that if you seriously want to build a sustainable winning program, you must at some point stack together at least a couple great classes.

I think the lack of recruiting momentum may have been an important factor in Coyle’s decision to move in a different direction right now, rather than waiting to see how the 2022s developed under Lindsay & Co. He has to always be looking at where the program appears to be headed in three to four years, not just one or two.

Plus, I’m sure he could sense that Lindsay’s image, built upon being a great player, ambassador for Gopher basketball, and most importantly a winner, was starting to take a hit due to the team’s lack of on-court success. Add to that the fairly dismal crowds (Minnesota averaged 9700 fans per game in Lindsay’s senior year) and I guess you have a recipe for a coaching change.

I get the sense that Plitzuweit has already begun the process of breathing some recruiting life back into the program, which is a very positive development for the long-range future of the program.

Last edited:

Lindsay, Carly, and Kelly did much to repair the relationships between the U and local HS and AAU programs that Marlene inexplicably allowed to whither. The culmination of this effort was the 2022 class ranked Top 10 in the nation.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that class is now looking like a blip rather than the start of a sustainable trend upward. The follow-up 2023 class was disappointing considering the regional talent that was available to be recruited. And then Top 10 prospect Olivia Olson (2024) joined fellow Top 100 prospect Taylor Woodson (2023), whom the Gophers thought they had a good chance to land, as a Michigan recruit.

In addition, I believe there were four other local 2023 players ranked in ESPN’s Top 100 including at least one McDonald’s All America game participant. However, unless you know the inner-workings of how their recruitment went, you don’t really know whether there was anything the staff could have done differently. Each case stands on its own. But the fact remains that the Gophers essentially struck out on all of the top-tier locals in the classes of 2023 and 2024.

One could argue that the problem with landing such a talented 2022 class is that talented local 2023s and possibly even 2024s wouldn’t be able to see a path to enough early playing time to seriously consider the Gophers.

The counter-argument of course is that if you seriously want to build a sustainable winning program, you must at some point stack together at least a couple great classes.

I think the lack of recruiting momentum may have been an important factor in Coyle’s decision to move in a different direction right now, rather than waiting to see how the 2022s developed under Lindsay & Co. He has to always be looking at where the program appears to be headed in three to four years, not just one or two.

Plus, I’m sure he could sense that Lindsay’s image, built upon being a great player, ambassador for Gopher basketball, and most importantly a winner, was starting to take a hit due to the team’s lack of on-court success. Add to that the fairly dismal crowds (Minnesota averaged 9700 fans per game in Lindsay’s senior year) and I guess you have a recipe for a coaching change.

I get the sense that Plitzuweit has already begun the process of breathing some recruiting life back into the program, which is a very positive development for the long-range future of the program.
Excellent post. Lindsay had tons of players leave, got one good class, and I think recruits were starting to see some coaching deficiencies. When you have other programs that are going to NCAA tournaments knocking on the door and you've finished bottom 5 for 4 straight years, it's an uphill battle that will likely not turn around.

Top Bottom