2024 Recruiting

Seems like a common denominator is that recruits excel on the defensive end.

Nice work!!!

Kind of surprised, I really thought we had a full roster this year and I thought we were full next year. Looks like we probably won't add any Freshman next year unless they are exceptional. What does everyone else think?

Likely someone will transfer after this season so they will probably try to add a transfer to fill those spot(s).

Nice work!!!

Kind of surprised, I really thought we had a full roster this year and I thought we were full next year. Looks like we probably won't add any Freshman next year unless they are exceptional. What does everyone else think?

Likely someone will transfer after this season so they will probably try to add a transfer to fill those spot(s).
I would assume Gophers are likely done for the 2024 class with the two they have committed.

Looking at roster and availability here is as follows:

Team can have 15 scholarship players.

For 2023-2024 Season:

13 Scholarship Players/1 Walk-on.
-One Player to graduate
-two 2024 commits

For 2024-2025 Season:

14 Scholarship Players/1 Walk-on
-One Senior (Maggie Czinano)

Right now barring transfers, They have two open scholarships to use in the class of 2025. Here is the publicly known 2025 offers:

Offered/In-State:

Aaliyah Crump,
Minnetonka- 6’1 G/W, (ESPN Super 60- #6)

Jordan Ode, Maple Grove- 5’11 Guard, (ESPN Super 60-#41)

Out of State Offers:

Divine Bourrage,
6’0 G, Davenport North HS (IA) (ESPN Super 60-#9)

Madison Francis, 6’2 W, Lancaster Central HS (NY) (ESPN Super 60- #14)

Makena Christian, 6’0 PF, Hartford HS (WI) Reportedly down to final two schools including Gophers

I liked Tori McKinney talking about passing well and being an unselfish player. Those don't get as much attention but should. Plus she's the top defender in the state, perhaps.

She's landing into a coaching system that will work great for her.

The early top 10 recruiting classes

No. 4 Michigan Wolverines

Highest ranked commit: G Syla Swords (No. 11)
Swords is a player with experience playing all over the world at different levels of the Canadian National Team program. She plays an extremely challenging schedule with her Long Island Lutheran team and with her Kia Nurse EYBL team during the summer -- her summer of 2023 was one of the best in recent memory. She is an all-around player, three-level scorer and brings a glue-like intangible to her teams and makes others better.

No. 15 Olivia Olson brings a versatility and an IQ to the floor that will allow her to play multiple positions at the next level. Comfortable at any position on the floor, she can play on the ball or off the ball with success. Olson's game can be utilized in ball screens, post up situations, and also to space the floor with her ability to knock down the 3.

Four-star Mila Holloway is a shifty point guard who primarily creates for others and keeps everyone involved while three-star Te'Yala Delfosse is a 6-foot-3 forward with a lot of potential. She is long, crashes the glass, and has a respectable handle and 3-point ability.

Kim Barnes-Arico is bringing in four complementary and cohesive players to bolster her 2024 class

No. 8 Iowa Hawkeyes

Highest ranked commit: F Ava Heiden (No. 36)

Heiden is a very fundamental post player with strong base and very good skills. She can play out of the post or on the perimeter and helps with the flow of game plans and schemes while making others better. Her patience and poise lends itself to a good understanding of the game.

Aaliyah Guyton (No. 57) is a combo guard with a reputation for scoring the ball, but her point guard abilities immediately standout as well. She is solid in the pick-and-roll and proved this summer that she can make others better. Defensively, she is always in stance and does a nice job of keep the ball in front and understanding help rotation.

No. 64 Teagan Mallegni, who is crafty with the dribble and strong on the boards, and No. 88 Taylor Stremlow are both knock down shooters in this group. Stremlow plays well within herself and has a great understanding of the game overall.

Callie Levin is a tough, quick three-star guard out Solon High School in Iowa. She should be a skilled perimeter player for the Hawkeyes.

Lisa Bluder has a system that rewards skills, shooting, and ball movement and these players can do all of that

Midwesterner Britt Prince narrowed her choices to final 11. She was top-12 in ESPN rankings but slipped a bit to #28.

Her final 11 choices: Nebraska, Creighton, Iowa, Iowa State, Indiana, Oklahoma, Oregon, North Carolina, Baylor, USC and Louisville.

Previously she had announced an offer from UCLA. Looks like she picked USC over UCLA, mostly Midwest, and coast to coast from Oregon to North Carolina.

2024 ESPN HoopGurlz as of now:
1699207783248.png

Attachments

• 1699208287109.png
    1699208287109.png
    454.2 KB · Views: 2

Midwesterner Britt Prince narrowed her choices to final 11. She was top-12 in ESPN rankings but slipped a bit to #28.
FWIW Britt Prince announced her commitment to Nebraska today.

FWIW Britt Prince announced her commitment to Nebraska today.

Wow, you're right. That's a huge pickup for Nebraska. It's a good choice for her too, choosing the home state Big Ten team (a good conference) where she should spark interest and could become a star. Look at the Caitlin Clark--Iowa connection that made her a star.

She's a tough player the Gophers now face for several years starting 2024.

ESPN HOOPGURLZ:
1699228724451.png

It's been a heck of a week for Michigan women's basketball.

On Monday, the Wolverines won their season opener. On Tuesday, head coach Kim Barnes Arico signed a new deal that takes her through at least 2028. And on Wednesday, Michigan signed the highest-ranked recruiting class in program history.

The five-player recruiting class is ranked No. 4 in the nation by ESPN. Wednesday was National Signing Day.

-----------------------------------

#2: UCLA

#4: Michigan

#7 USC

#8 Iowa

Currently in the ESPNW top 100, 21 players have yet to announce their commitments. Eight of the top 25 players in the country have yet to choose a school, including five of the top 10.

---
My comment: Minnesota did alright for 2024, including the #61 prospect per ESPN HoopGurlz McKenna Johnson. Also the top defender in Minnesota Tori McKinney. Both Coach P recruits.

Last edited:

Alyssa Wirth has re opened her commitment according to Twitter. So she is no longer coming to Minnesota.

She certainly fell a lot in offers after that April decommit. I assume her knee injury after she decommitted didn't help her at all. Last April I was wondering if the decommit was her choice or offer being withdrawn with the coaching change. Anyway, lower level start where she can maybe prove herself and portal in a couple of years?

That's great. An extra full semester to practice and get acclimated to college life with time demands of classes, practices and road game travel is quite a head start on next year.

Coach Dawn Plitzuweit:

"Academically, McKenna is a really strong student and enrolling early allows her to get a head start on her studies leading into next season when she begins to compete on the court for the Gophers.

As a basketball player, McKenna is a tough and talented young lady and her being able to acclimate to our team, system, and strength and conditioning program is another advantage that she will enjoy by joining us early..."

Any chance Dawn P could make a run at that top overall Sarah Strong? She is still uncommitted.

This area, Minnesota, doesn't have that kind of NIL firepower.
The NIL doesn't just come locally if you stand out and make a difference nationally. CC of Iowa has Gatorade, State Farm, etc. You provide marketing, you stand out, and put yourself out there...you get deals regardless where you play. And the money isn't everything...you have to put up with a lot more in the public and your life is lot less private.

This area, Minnesota, doesn't have that kind of NIL firepower.
I honestly believe with success the Minnesota “lid” on NIL will come off. There are a lot of companies in Minnesota and if there is a superstar player or team they are going to want the advertising. Not specifically about this recruit, but any.

I honestly believe with success the Minnesota “lid” on NIL will come off. There are a lot of companies in Minnesota and if there is a superstar player or team they are going to want the advertising. Not specifically about this recruit, but any.
Yup, and the national exposure the Big 10 is getting now on Peacock is a HUGE opportunity to sell recruits.

I think this is true but perhaps less so than states and/or towns that have no professional teams. It still stands that sports professionalism is the pinnacle of the average sports fan fandom. Not true for me and not true for many on here but overall. Winning can change this vs non winning pro team but pro teams still gobble up some of the attention making college NIL deals somewhat less attractive. It also can be said that the non Pro states/towns also have lower populations in general. So there is less of a market overall but the intensity is interest is still more focused with the lower population.

Top Bottom