2024 MN High School Football thread

My alma mater, St. Paul Highland Park, only plays 2 other St. Paul schools. They open with Johnson, and play their pre-MEA game against Central.

They have a Saturday game @ Kennedy, plus they play the school right on the other side of the Mississippi from them (Two Rivers).

No, he was definitely pushed out of his teaching position. He chose to leave his coaching position as a result.
We will never know because the school isn’t allowed to comment on it. But knowing how hard it is to get rid of a tenured teacher for non-criminal behavior I am going to go with the story that makes sense rather than a rumor from a flag football coach

If the district was cutting and he was low man getting bounced to a middle school or osseo or something that could make sense. But he has been there too long to be low man in math

My alma mater, St. Paul Highland Park, only plays 2 other St. Paul schools. They open with Johnson, and play their pre-MEA game against Central.

They have a Saturday game @ Kennedy, plus they play the school right on the other side of the Mississippi from them (Two Rivers).
Schedules are really interesting these days.
The fact that the scheduling is really done on a class based schedule and the St. Paul schools haven’t been picked to play each other tells me SPPS needs to probably do some balancing and consolidation

There is a game missing likely against Humboldt Harding. Guessing there is some schedule details to work out. My guess its due to homecoming on the new field.

I believe they actually put their football field on the outfield of the baseball stadium located at Island Park. It's not right next to the school. You can see the setup in this YouTube video of one of their games.
Thanks for sharing. Small town football is fun and brings me back to when I was a kid!

To me, has to be that he won his state title as a HC and now he is done with the BS of being a head coach in a multi high school district. Same reason Dave Nelson left Blaine for Tonka.
I agree it is hard to be the HC at the affluent schools of a district and have to hold back due to fairness of the other program/schools. Nelson had funds raised for projects 20 years ago in Blaine and left because the district wouldn't let them be used for Blaine and give them an advantage over the other schools is the district.

I believe Lombardi live in St. Michael which is a bit of a hike to Minnetonka.

I agree it is hard to be the HC at the affluent schools of a district and have to hold back due to fairness of the other program/schools. Nelson had funds raised for projects 20 years ago in Blaine and left because the district wouldn't let them be used for Blaine and give them an advantage over the other schools is the district.

I believe Lombardi live in St. Michael which is a bit of a hike to Minnetonka.
Lombardi also was DC at wayzata for a couple of state titles. He maybe is just done being a head coach. Minnetonka does whatever they want with salary schedule placement so he probably is getting a pay hike to do less work

Correct. My understanding is he applied for Wayzata and or knew they wouldn’t hire him.
I am not sure if he applied for Wayzata or not. I do know Anderson had a lot more success when Lombardi was his DC

Two of the best QB's in the state are juniors. Nick Kinsey of Stillwater and Mason West of Edina. Both have a few D1 offers already. Roman Voss of Jackson County Central is another junior QB who is a 4 star recruit and has big time offers from Cal, Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Kansas State. Assuming he will switch positions in college though. Listed as an Athlete on 247Sports recruiting page. Seems like it's been awhile since MN has had this many QB's in one class.

Two of the best QB's in the state are juniors. Nick Kinsey of Stillwater and Mason West of Edina. Both have a few D1 offers already. Roman Voss of Jackson County Central is another junior QB who is a 4 star recruit and has big time offers from Cal, Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Kansas State. Assuming he will switch positions in college though. Listed as an Athlete on 247Sports recruiting page. Seems like it's been awhile since MN has had this many QB's in one class.
I see Mason West raising his stock this season and ending up with several more Power 5 offers. He is special.

I see Mason West raising his stock this season and ending up with several more Power 5 offers. He is special.
Is he for sure football and not hockey?

Maple Grove has a stud QB, who started last year as a sophomore and a stud RB. They will be tough as always.

Is he for sure football and not hockey?
I don't think there have been many, but it seems like any MN kid that has been a D1 hockey and football recruit, go the hockey route. Paul Martin, Anders Lee and Mark Alt are the few that pop into my head. Worked out pretty well for those guys.

It seems the talent level outstate has increased over the years. Some good players coming out of ,more rural MN.

Last edited:

I don't think there have been many, but it seems like any MN kid that has been a D1 hockey and football recruit, go the hockey route. Paul Martin, Anders Lee and Mark Alt are the few that pop into my head. Worked out pretty well for those guys.
Rosemount guy ..Ratzlaff? Went football, didnt play, got hurt, now trying to revive hockey career.

Last edited:

Love to see it. Pretty unheard of that some kid from Esko or Jackson is the best player in the state in any sport.
Except hockey. Plenty of great players from small towns.

Good point. Anders Lee was a hell of a football player. Tough for a Minnesota kid to choose football over hockey unless it's truly their passion. Much bigger upside with hockey.

Roman Voss played part of last year at receiver and db with a broken hand. I saw him in person in his first game back at QB and the kid can really put it on a rope. His older brother was a backup.QB at SDSU until retiring due to recurring injuries.

Roman Voss played part of last year at receiver and db with a broken hand. I saw him in person in his first game back at QB and the kid can really put it on a rope. His older brother was a backup.QB at SDSU until retiring due to recurring injuries.
Agree, but he will be a TE, LB or S and will excel at any of them.

I think he could be a juggernaut at TE. He could easily be 240/250 by the time he graduates.

Maple Grove has a stud QB, who started last year as a sophomore and a stud RB. They will be tough as always.
RB is committed to UNorth Dakota along with the OLman and TE. LB and S are going to NDSU. MG has 5 guys in the 2025 MN top 35. 18 Kids committed to our boarding Missouri Valley teams. Will be interesting if any make the leap this season and get a MN pull to flip.

Agree, but he will be a TE, LB or S and will excel at any of them.

I think he could be a juggernaut at TE. He could easily be 240/250 by the time he graduates.
Oh, I'd assume that he would be catching rather than chucking at the next level. I wonder if he'll even finish his career at JCC as QB? At least last year, his backup QB was quite talented as well.

Top Bottom