2024 Gopher Hockey Offseason

Prediction time:
At least two of the four 5th years move on
Two of Pino/Strobel/Begley/Rud enter the portal
Strobel joins Pino in the portal

Gophers now have 14 forwards including Michel. They should be adding at least two forwards and letting Michel walk.

Begley or Rud surely entering the portal in the next couple days.

My updated prediction is Fish and Begley out. Thanks for the St Paul repping Carl, hope you can find a good grad program (maybe UST?) for that fifth year.

Isn't Falloon Rud's buddy? I guess I'd be surprised if he opted for the portal with his buddy coming in.

Isn't Falloon Rud's buddy? I guess I'd be surprised if he opted for the portal with his buddy coming in.
And Rud's pretty much only a Gopher because of his dad's relationship with Motzko. That's why I predicted Fish and Begley out.

Prediction time:
At least two of the four 5th years move on
Two of Pino/Strobel/Begley/Rud enter the portal
Fifth year 1: Fish to the portal
Fifth year 2: I think Michel is gone, may not be to the portal but unlikely to be on the roster
Pino
Strobel

Fifth year 1: Fish to the portal
Fifth year 2: I think Michel is gone, may not be to the portal but unlikely to be on the roster
Pino
Strobel
i mean i can't say any of these were even remotely bold and all were favored as likely. don't pat yourself on the back too hard ;)

Crappy feeling waking up on Frozen Four day in the home state and the Gophers aren't there.

i mean i can't say any of these were even remotely bold and all were favored as likely. don't pat yourself on the back too hard ;)
And yet no one else made a prediction that specific

And yet no one else made a prediction that specific
nah just gotta give you some grief given how hard you harped on the snuggy is gone concept, especially after you went full bipolar on us on Wood. none of these have been surprising and most expected/hoped for. Either way, it's been nothing but good news so far this offseason which is a nice change

College hockey has already changed because of NIL and transfer portal. I can't help but feel like 3 or even 4 of the next five titles will come from the below.

I really hope the Gophers get the next one from this list, to separate from the Boston schools and to tie wisconsin on the only real argument they have over the Gophers in hockey. And to give UND a little scare, as they know that 1980 title would be the Gophers' if they weren't off changing the hockey world forever in Lake Placid.

101958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005, 2017, 2022, 2024
91948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
81959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016
61973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006
51949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012
51971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009
51974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Sounds like it's still not totally clear on Nevers/Koster/Pitlick/Whipple. IMO losing any of them hurts this team. I DO NOT want Begley and Rud as the 7th D. It's unacceptable, and you always prefer to dress 7D over 13F, but Bob simply couldn't this year.

Kurth - Moore - Snuggerud/Wood
Pitlick - Huglen - Wood/Lamb
Nevers - Clark - Lamb/Ziemer
Ziemer/Mittelstadt/Falloon - Pahlsson - Hendrickson

Rinzel - Thomas
Koster - Gruba
Mittelstadt - Chesley
Whipple

Goalie...

Kinda off topic, but does Cooley make the jump to the NHL knowing what we know now? For as much as we shit on the Minnesota Wild, they are nothing like that franchise.

Kinda off topic, but does Cooley make the jump to the NHL knowing what we know now? For as much as we shit on the Minnesota Wild, they are nothing like that franchise.
I mean he would have had to stay 3 or 4 years (I forget exactly how the rule works) to become a free agent. No way he was doing that, nor would anyone else in his situation.

After winning in 1979, Gopher fans watched 12 different teams and fanbases celebrate at least once before they could celebrate again.

Since winning in 2003, Gophers fans have watched 12 different teams and fanbases celebrate at least once.

It's time to end this fucking drought.

I mean he would have had to stay 3 or 4 years (I forget exactly how the rule works) to become a free agent. No way he was doing that, nor would anyone else in his situation.
Exactly. He had $13.35MM reasons to play for that garbage organization. Even if it's terrible, take your money and just go sign somewhere else when you become a FA. No idea what the Utah ownership is like, but it has to be better.

Exactly. He had $13.35MM reasons to play for that garbage organization. Even if it's terrible, take your money and just go sign somewhere else when you become a FA. No idea what the Utah ownership is like, but it has to be better.
You know he is not making nearly that, right? That is with all possible performance and award bonuses which he definitely isn't getting.

He has likely made just about $1MM so far.

He could have come back and played at the end of the year to burn the same year in his ELC.

You know he is not making nearly that, right? That is with all possible performance and award bonuses which he definitely isn't getting.

He has likely made just about $1MM so far.

He could have come back and played at the end of the year to burn the same year in his ELC.
Fair enough, pending some bonuses, it would appear he's made roughly $1.2MM this year. Still not a bad paycheck.

Looks like gophers will go to Duluth for a full two game series at Amsoil, first time since 2011 to have both games in Duluth. I know the big ten schedule doesn’t post until September but if anyone knows anything about non conference games, I’m curious to see who we could host or travel to. Sounds like no North Dakota this year

Looks like gophers will go to Duluth for a full two game series at Amsoil, first time since 2011 to have both games in Duluth. I know the big ten schedule doesn’t post until September but if anyone knows anything about non conference games, I’m curious to see who we could host or travel to. Sounds like no North Dakota this year
Only known games so far (to my knowledge) are that UMD series and the tournament in Las Vegas in October.

Unfortunately that Vegas Ice Breaker is likely going to be an attendance flop.

Top Bottom