2023 Schedule out Tomorrow

It'll be at Ohio State instead of Maryland...

Damn that is a tough schedule.
On the one hand, I'd like to think that the team's mindset is shifting more towards "they should be afraid of playing US" - but after the extremely up and down year we are having, yea...it does look like a hard schedule,

Badger fan forum. How quickly they forget about Illinois...
I fear they might be right- if Fleck has another down year that seat is going to be warming up. It isn't warm for me yet, but ask me that this time next year and I might start to fidget. Still rowin, baby!

I did some digging in my college buddy group-chat. I knew I had screenshotted the previous version of the schedule somewhere. The opponents and the locations are the exact same as they were before. The only change is the order of some games. No one can complain.
Thank you. I've been curious why people are reacting in shock. We knew we were playing those 3 crossover games several years ago.

Every game on the schedule feels like a big one, outside of Eastern Michigan. I'm excited, lots of potential.
Don't sleep on the boys from Ypsilanti. I'm surprised their coach, Chris Creighton hasn't had other offers, if you can win and go to bowl games in Ypsi, you can win anywhere. Before he came along, EMU was thinking of getting rid of football or dropping down to FBS.

- Michigan State was a given (our locked in team in the old format -- 2023 will be the last year of that format)
- West teams were a given

Variables:
- at OSU and home vs Michigan is probably the worst it can possibly be
- we've done no P5 under Fleck and we've also done Colorado, which has worked out very well, but not only playing North Carolina, but playing them on the road and potentially the year after they get to the ACC championship game, probably against Clemson and who knows what they do ... not ideal
- Louisiana had worked itself up to the top of the Sun Belt and a top 25-ish type of program under Napier, now he's at Florida ... but still probably going to be not easy
- E Michigan also I think won't be easy, but possibly the easiest game on the schedule.

Yeah ... pretty much getting two middle fingers from the last year we could possibly win the West. It's dead starting in 2024.

This was the year to win it (obviously means outright) ...

Honestly it’s a good year to get that schedule.
Next year if the team is a 7-8+ win schedule we can all feel really good about the program building that’s happening

Win 5-6 and you’re probably thinking 2024 is a show me year
Win 4 or less and people are probably jumping off the boat

The schedule is made by a computer.
This indeed was the year the stars were aligned and dreams of Roses were reasonable.
There could be only two or three conference wins in that schedule.
PJ better kick up recruiting a notch or two.

I'm embracing it! Just booked 5 nights at the Marriott Courtyard in Chapel Hill for $119/night, and am looking at Ohio State. I live out of Minnesota now, too, and though it's tough, that home slate of conference games makes it really enticing to come back to 2-3 of them.

Badgers play O$U Michigan and Penn state in 2024. If those teams hold that’s a tricky crossover. Fb schedule com also says they play Alabama week 3.

This indeed was the year the stars were aligned and dreams of Roses were reasonable.
If this was the year the stars were aligned then we would’ve had a better team.
We wouldn’t have lost the top wideout on a one wideout roster
We would have a better OL and DL

If the stars were aligned a touchdown doesn’t bounce off a chest for an int

To me the stars being aligned includes the football field

Kick offensive game planning up a notch, too. We have to play too many very tough defenses. We can’t just overpower these teams. We’ve got to out-think them. And that’s on the coaches.

2023 Minnesota Golden Gopher Football Schedule (home games in bold)
Aug. 31 – Nebraska - W 31-20
Sept. 9 – Eastern Michigan - W 31-10

Sept. 16 – at North Carolina - W 24-17
Sept. 23 – at Northwestern - W 28-10
Sept. 30 – Louisiana - W 33-17
Oct. 7 – Michigan - W -21-20

Oct. 21 – at Iowa - W 17-10
Oct. 28 – Michigan State - W 27-17
Nov. 4 – Illinois W 24-14

Nov. 11 – at Purdue W 24-9
Nov. 18 – at Ohio State - L 31-28
Nov. 25 – Wisconsin - W 24-14

11-1 seems reasonable and a CFP birth.
Whatever you’re smoking, I’d like some, too!

If Athan plays a lot the rest of this season—so he enters next year with a lot of B1G game experience—I think we win a couple of early toss-up games (such as Nebbie opener) that we could we’ll lose if he now goes back to the bench for the rest of this season. We stand a better chance against UNC in game 3 if we are playing an experienced QB, too.

Last edited:

I see to appease the Iowa crowd, they avoid both Mich. and Ohio State. While we avoid playing Maryland, Indiana, or Rutgers? looks like our beloved ex-Viking official crapped all over us.

That was the NCAA, who cancelled any existing championship events that were scheduled back in 2016. Furthermore it seems the law you are referencing was repealed in 2017.
I'm guessing the original post confusion was referring to the first home and home series we had scheduled with UNC, which was cancelled by Jerry Kill. We re-scheduled this current version a couple of years later.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ootball-series-cancellation/comment/121978231

Last edited:

Don't sleep on the boys from Ypsilanti. I'm surprised their coach, Chris Creighton hasn't had other offers, if you can win and go to bowl games in Ypsi, you can win anywhere. Before he came along, EMU was thinking of getting rid of football or dropping down to FBS.
I'm fast asleep 💤 😴 💤

I fear they might be right- if Fleck has another down year that seat is going to be warming up. It isn't warm for me yet, but ask me that this time next year and I might start to fidget. Still rowin, baby!
Except for a few weird brain farts when Fleck calls an against-the-conventional-wisdom play call that is high risk with an unreasonably modest upside, Fleck calls a very conservative offense. Against excellent teams he likes to “shorten the game” by running a molasses slow offensive pace and using a repertoire of 4 or 5 plays. History has shown that this is an OK strategy when we have taken lead, but a failed strategy if we have fallen meaningfully behind. We don’t seem to have a different strategy to switch over to when our initial game plan isn’t working. We don’t adjust our pace, our playcalling or our predictability. Given the number of great defenses we will face next year, and our disinclination to produce creative offensive game plans, or to make adaptations at halftime, 2023 could be a very tough year.

If the offense decides to employ all of Athan’s talent, so that we can stress defenses everywhere on the field (rather than play our offense in a phone booth), the outlook would seem better.

Last edited:

Badgers play O$U Michigan and Penn state in 2024. If those teams hold that’s a tricky crossover. Fb schedule com also says they play Alabama week 3.
No schedules have been posted past 2023 for Conference Play. Crazy the people that can make up websites and fake news these days. They do play Alabama in 2024.

Top Bottom