2023 MN High School Football season

State tournament is set. I don't follow the smaller classes as much so I'll leave those predictions to someone else.

4A:
Hill Murray vs Byron
Rocori vs Orono
Totino Grace vs Hutchinson
North Branch vs Benilde St Margarets

5A:
St Thomas Academy vs Owatonna
Alexandria vs Rogers
Mahtomedi vs Chanhassen
Andover vs Robbinsdale Armstrong

6A:
Centennial vs Rosemount
Lakeville South vs East Ridge
EP vs Lakeville North
Stillwater vs Edina

Byron over Hill Murray
Rocori over Orono
Hutch over TG
North Branch over BSM

STMA over Owatonna
Alexandria over Rogers
Chanhassen over Mahtomedi
Andover over Armstrong

Rosemount over Centennial
South over East Ridge
EP over North
Edina over Stillwater

All privates have fewer resources from the state than publics. That’s the nature of a private school. And it shouldn’t factor in
But your argument wasn't about state resources. It was about resources in general. If a private school has fewer resources than a public, why should it be counted as having more students?

And to your point about having parents who care, I completely agree that it is a huge advantage. But how do you quantify that? I could see the results of this 30 years ago in the dingy little public school I attended. The kids whose parents gave a rip about how they did generally did better in academics and in life than the kids whose parents did not give a rip.

The private school I am now affiliated with is not wealthy, at all. I would venture that a majority of the families would be eligible for free or reduce lunch, if they would apply. There is no athletic recruiting, although we have lost some kids to public schools who wanted to play on better athletic teams.

Weird schedule quirk in 6A that I am pretty sure was the case last year as well. Rosemount/Centennial is on Thursday night and the winner plays the following Thursday at US Bank.

You would think their opponent in that game would be in the other 6A game being played on Thursday but that isn’t the case. South/East Ridge play Friday with the winner playing the following Thursday. That makes no sense to me, does anyone have any clue why they would set it up that way?
It’s due to teams potentially hosting and still playing. Stillwater had to host on Thursday and so fluid PC. There are four brackets in play so it isn’t as predictable.

But your argument wasn't about state resources. It was about resources in general. If a private school has fewer resources than a public, why should it be counted as having more students?
They do have more resources than a school with the same population size
And to your point about having parents who care, I completely agree that it is a huge advantage. But how do you quantify that?
By giving it a multiplier
I could see the results of this 30 years ago in the dingy little public school I attended. The kids whose parents gave a rip about how they did generally did better in academics and in life than the kids whose parents did not give a rip.
Yup
The private school I am now affiliated with is not wealthy, at all. I would venture that a majority of the families would be eligible for free or reduce lunch, if they would apply. There is no athletic recruiting, although we have lost some kids to public schools who wanted to play on better athletic teams.
Happy for you. That school should have a multiplier of 1.1

Blowout city tonight

Centennial 24-0 over Rosemount
JCC 41-0 over Caledonia
Hutch 44-11 over Totino Grace
Eden Valley 60-0 over Moose Lake
Edina 42-14 over Stillwater end of 3rd

Close
Byron 31-28 over Hill Murray
Nevis 12-8 over Mtn. Iron Buhl
Kingsland 26-14 over Hills Beaver Creek

Results from Thursday, Nov 9 (in order of bracket)

9-pl:
Kingsland 26, Hills-Beaver Creek 14
Fertile-Beltrami 35, Goodridge-Grygla-Gatzke 6
Ottertail Central 28, Cedar Mountain 8
Nevis 12, Mountain Iron-Buhl 8

2A:
Jackson County Central 41, Caledonia 0
Barnesville 42, Osakis 36
Cannon Falls 51, Triton 6
Eden Valley-Watkins 60, Moose Lake-Willow River 0

4A:
Byron 31, Hill-Murray 28
Rocori 28, Orono 27
Hutchinson 44, Totino-Grace 12
North Branch 38, Benilde-St. Margaret's 27

6A:
Centennial 24, Rosemount 0
--
--
Edina 49, Stillwater 21

and a reminder of the Schedule for Friday -- all games 7pm unless noted otherwise

Friday, Nov 10
1A: Springfield vs Fillmore Central @ Jordan HS (5:30pm)
---- Mahnomen-Waubun vs Parkers Prairie @ Brainerd HS
---- Belgrade-Brooten-Elrosa vs Mayer Lutheran @ St. Cloud Apollo HS
----Braham vs Minneota @ St. Cloud Tech HS

3A: Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton vs Albany @ Alexandria HS

6A: Lakeville South vs East Ridge @ St, Michael-Albertville HS
---- Eden Prairie vs Lakeville North @ Spring Lake Park HS

JCC beating Caledonia 41-donut surprised me. JCC is a solid team, but I didn't think they would win by that big of a margin.

I was at the dentist today and my dental hygienist said she was driving her kids to the game. I'll have to get her report.

JCC beating Caledonia 41-donut surprised me. JCC is a solid team, but I didn't think they would win by that big of a margin.

I was at the dentist today and my dental hygienist said she was driving her kids to the game. I'll have to get her report.
I watched a lot of that game. JCC is dominant and I think they will win it all. Roman Voss is a man amongst boys.

Results from Thursday, Nov 9 (in order of bracket)

9-pl:
Kingsland 26, Hills-Beaver Creek 14
Fertile-Beltrami 35, Goodridge-Grygla-Gatzke 6
Ottertail Central 28, Cedar Mountain 8
Nevis 12, Mountain Iron-Buhl 8

2A:
Jackson County Central 41, Caledonia 0
Barnesville 42, Osakis 36
Cannon Falls 51, Triton 6
Eden Valley-Watkins 60, Moose Lake-Willow River 0

4A:
Byron 31, Hill-Murray 28
Rocori 28, Orono 27
Hutchinson 44, Totino-Grace 12
North Branch 38, Benilde-St. Margaret's 27

6A:
Centennial 24, Rosemount 0
--
--
Edina 49, Stillwater 21
Cedar Mountain's (Morgan and Franklin; there's a hill in between giving the school its name) first trip to the tournament.

STA is 5A, but Hill, Grace, and Benilde are in 4A?

Joke

Don't give a S that Pizza Grace was blown out by Hutch. They (Grace) took a spot away from a real, legitimate 4A school that could've gone to state.

Same could be said for all three. At least all three lost.

Kids in 11/12th grade now generally born in 2005-2006?

Lot of upper middle class housing development in Lino Lakes and east Blaine that feed the Centennial district growth, in the early 2000's? Now catching up with the high school.

Same with Shakopee the last few years, and probably some other quasi-exurban districts.

Lot of upper middle class housing development in Lino Lakes and east Blaine that feed the Centennial district growth, in the early 2000's? Now catching up with the high school.

Hard to tell. Most of the development in the Centennial part of Lino Lakes dates from the early to mid 90s. There may be some buildup of that vintage over by Centerville, but I'm not familiar with the development timeline.

Most of Blaine east of Hwy 65 goes to Spring Lake Park. Forest Lake also comes much further down 35W than you might think.

Kids in 11/12th grade now generally born in 2005-2006?

Same with Shakopee the last few years, and probably some other quasi-exurban districts.
Anoka with all the Ramsey growth as well.

Hard to tell. Most of the development in the Centennial part of Lino Lakes dates from the early to mid 90s. There may be some buildup of that vintage over by Centerville, but I'm not familiar with the development timeline.

Most of Blaine east of Hwy 65 goes to Spring Lake Park. Forest Lake also comes much further down 35W than you might think.
Housing off of Lexington where all the development is goes to Blaine or Centennial.

By the way the MSHSL had a major issue with their streaming services last night. Basically no one was able to watch the games because the website was not functional. prepspotlight.tv was terrible.

By the way the MSHSL had a major issue with their streaming services last night. Basically no one was able to watch the games because the website was not functional. prepspotlight.tv was terrible.
The trouble with a monopoly is if the monopoly is not functional

STA
STA is 5A, but Hill, Grace, and Benilde are in 4A?

Joke

Don't give a S that Pizza Grace was blown out by Hutch. They (Grace) took a spot away from a real, legitimate 4A school that could've gone to state.

Same could be said for all three. At least all three lost.
STA is all male. They should be calculated as though Visitation was with them. In that case they would be 6A, which is where they should be.

The streams were down for about a quarter. I had no issue after that.

STA

STA is all male. They should be calculated as though Visitation was with them. In that case they would be 6A, which is where they should be.
I don't think that is true.

My understanding for STA for classification purposes they have to double it. Their boys only enrollment of around 650, doubling it puts them exactly with all the other 5A schools.

They play Owatonna on Saturday, with an enrollment of about 1500.

Edina seems to be rolling since the first few weeks of the season. I know their soph QB is a pretty good hockey prospect (was on Edina varsity as 9th grader last year), but anything in terms of potential for football in the future?

May have another Anders Lee on our hands (I think Lee was more of the dual threat QB if I remember correctly).

@MaxyJR1 yes and for the NW exurbs in general we all know (if you drive 94 West for any reason) about growth of Rogers, STMA, and even Monti. Elk River & Otsego too

Blowout city tonight

Centennial 24-0 over Rosemount
JCC 41-0 over Caledonia
Hutch 44-11 over Totino Grace
Eden Valley 60-0 over Moose Lake
Edina 42-14 over Stillwater end of 3rd

Close
Byron 31-28 over Hill Murray
Nevis 12-8 over Mtn. Iron Buhl
Kingsland 26-14 over Hills Beaver Creek
Knew JCC was really good but didn't expect them to throttle Caledonia like that. Roman Voss might be the best player in the state for his class. Saw he recently went on a visit to Iowa State. Plays QB but assuming he projects as a TE/LB-DE at the next level. 6'4 210 as a sophomore.

Knew JCC was really good but didn't expect them to throttle Caledonia like that. Roman Voss might be the best player in the state for his class. Saw he recently went on a visit to Iowa State. Plays QB but assuming he projects as a TE/LB-DE at the next level. 6'4 210 as a sophomore.

as a QB, right now - Roman is a better runner than thrower. JCC actually flips between Voss and a kid named Runge at QB depending on situation. Runge probably a better passer right now - a little more touch. If Voss can improve as a passer, he could be a real dual-threat QB at the FCS or G5 level. I don't know if he's a FBS-level QB, but the kid is a heck of an athlete.

I think it comes down to how much he wants to play QB. His older brother Rudy was a backup QB at South Dakota State but had to take a medical retirement due to a neck injury. at the same age, Roman is bigger than Rudy and might - I say might - have a higher ceiling. Really nice kid, too - he was shockingly mature when he started playing varsity QB as an 8th-grader.

Top Bottom